AV8 12v trigger not working!

RustyZip

Hello.

I have an Arcam AV8 and 2 x P1's.
Im trying to make the power amps turn on/off, when i press standby on the remote.
I bought 2 stereo 3.5mm jacks.
Inserted one into AV8 - "12v trigger" and the other end into the first P1's "remote in"
and the other cable from the first P1's "trigger out" to the second P1's "remote in"

When all 3 (AV8 & 2xP1's) are in standby "red", i press standby on remote and only the AV8 turns on.

The 2 P1's are still in standby "mode".

I did notice that there are 2 sockets for each "remote in" & "trigger out" - does it make a difference which i use???

Anyone know what im doing wrong?? Thanks.

swall101

RustyZip said:
Hello.

I have an Arcam AV8 and 2 x P1's.
Im trying to make the power amps turn on/off, when i press standby on the remote.
I bought 2 stereo 3.5mm jacks.
Inserted one into AV8 - "12v trigger" and the other end into the first P1's "remote in"
and the other cable from the first P1's "trigger out" to the second P1's "remote in"

When all 3 (AV8 & 2xP1's) are in standby "red", i press standby on remote and only the AV8 turns on.

The 2 P1's are still in standby "mode".

I did notice that there are 2 sockets for each "remote in" & "trigger out" - does it make a difference which i use???

Anyone know what im doing wrong?? Thanks.

Don't you have to set something in the OSD?

RustyZip

I dont think so.
Had another look in the manual, and cant see any reference regarding the OSD & 12v trigger / standby..

Im stumped :confused:

RustyZip

Ehh ??

This gets even more wierd !!

The 2 x p1's are in standby "red" and the AV8 switched OFF by front button. I then press power switch on front of AV8 and the AV8 returns to standby mode "red" (because that was the state it was in when i manually switched it off) which is right, but the P1's go into standby mode "red" too.. So it looks like it works properly if i press the AV8 front button myself..

Hang on...
If i do the same as above, but with the AV8 powered up before i manually press the power button "off" on the AV8. And then press it "on" again, both the P1's lights turn amber, and then the first P1 goes into standby "red" followed a few seconds later by the other P1 !?!?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :suicide:

Ambo

This is a complete guess but first are you sure they are stereo 3.5mm jacks and not mono?

Secondly I'd make sure everything is in the same 'off state' then actually unplug the units from the mains so all electrical connections are severed then start powering up again to see if it's cleared any gremlins. Worth a try, otherwise try Arcam support. Good luck :smashin:

crobo

I think I read somewhere that not all 12V triggers are compatible between units. For example, I had the A85 + P85 and the 3.5 mm jack connection worked fine, and ditto for an A22 + P25. But neither the A22 nor the P25 talked to the P85. It may be as simple as that.

RustyZip

Ambo said:
This is a complete guess but first are you sure they are stereo 3.5mm jacks and not mono?

Secondly I'd make sure everything is in the same 'off state' then actually unplug the units from the mains so all electrical connections are severed then start powering up again to see if it's cleared any gremlins. Worth a try, otherwise try Arcam support. Good luck :smashin:

Yep, they are definately stereo.

Good call about switching off etc.. Will try it and let you know..

RustyZip

crobo said:
I think I read somewhere that not all 12V triggers are compatible between units. For example, I had the A85 + P85 and the 3.5 mm jack connection worked fine, and ditto for an A22 + P25. But neither the A22 nor the P25 talked to the P85. It may be as simple as that.

Somebody else mentioned that too... If its true then it sounds a bit wierd to make these things incompatible... Especially as my gear is all FMJ and not both FMJ / Diva... :confused:

Hmmm, will try the switching off trick, and if no go, then its off to Arcam support i go...

kryten

What software version is your AV8? I know that in the early versions (2.4 probably?) the tip/ring usage of the trigger was incorrect and then it changed in the update after that.

Have you checked the 3.5mm cables actually work normally?! It sounds like it could be a simple as a faulty cable!

RustyZip

kryten said:
What software version is your AV8? I know that in the early versions (2.4 probably?) the tip/ring usage of the trigger was incorrect and then it changed in the update after that.

Good call Kryten ! :)

Errm, how can i tell what software version i have ??

RustyZip

RustyZip said:
Errm, how can i tell what software version i have ??

Ahh - Found it....

"To identify the current firmware version on the Arcam FMJ AV8 you press and hold the 'CD', 'DVD' and OK' buttons together."
Thanks to Crustyloafer on a previous thread...

tvh3ad

I have the AV9 and P7 and my 12v trigger correctly controls the P7. I used a mono plug, not a stereo one -- maybe this could be your problem?

C

CyrilD

tvh3ad said:
I have the AV9 and P7 and my 12v trigger correctly controls the P7. I used a mono plug, not a stereo one -- maybe this could be your problem?

I too use mono plugs on my P1s and remote power on/off work fine.

RustyZip

kryten said:

Just checked my software version no. - its 2.4...

Hmmm, so you reckon i ought to update it ??

I had the understanding that the "triggers" this update altered, was the video triggers only and not the normal "12v trigger". Although its worth a shot..

Do i have to take this to an Arcam dealer? Or can i do it myself somehow??
As i bought this 2ndhand, i havnt gota dealer that ive used before, and they therefore might be slightly more reluctant to do it??

Cheers..

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
My C30/P25/P35 wouldn't all work together for some reason and they're all FMJ. I then changed to C30/P35/P35/3 and it all works fine.

kryten

RustyZip said:
Just checked my software version no. - its 2.4...

Hmmm, so you reckon i ought to update it ??

2.4 is ancient, so yes you should get it updated (the v3 I have is from 2003!!) - speak to your dealer in the first instance as they should provide support in doing this.

This is from the v3 changes PDF and I hit the problem, so I _know_ it will affect you. Have you tried turning zone2 'on' in the menus - on v2.4 you might find this turns things on!!

Note: In issues 2.0 to 2.4 of the AV8 software, the 12V trigger outputs for zone 1 and zone 2 were reversed. This has been corrected from issue 2.5.
If you are using trigger outputs and are upgrading from a software version previous to 2.5, you will need to reverse the connections.

RustyZip

kryten said:
2.4 is ancient, so yes you should get it updated (the v3 I have is from 2003!!) - speak to your dealer in the first instance as they should provide support in doing this..

Well, strictly speaking, i havnt got a dealer, because i bought this 2nd hand...

Is there anyway i can do this myself?? I dont really want to bother the local Arcam dealer, as he didnt sell me the unit.. Seems a bit cheeky!!

Im currently waiting for a reply from Arcam Support to see what they have to say...

mightyoakbob

RustyZip said:
Is there anyway i can do this myself??

If you fancy a run up to Stourbridge I'll put version 5 on it for you while you watch if you like. Upgraded my own a few times.

Cheers,

Bob.

RustyZip

mightyoakbob said:
If you fancy a run up to Stourbridge I'll put version 5 on it for you while you watch if you like. Upgraded my own a few times.

Cheers,

Bob.

Thats a very kind gesture bob - thankyou :thumbsup:

I'll just wait to hear back from Arcam Support (if i do - its been 5 days now:rolleyes: ) to see what they say..

If i get no joy - then i'll take you up on your kind offer.. :)

Watch this space..:smashin:

davesater1

Novice Member
I too had this problem using stereo jacks. When I plugged them in the unit (if on) would switch off but but would not switch back on again. The cable have got to be mono. As this first ring passed the connactor it would switch on/off but when both were in contact it would not work.

RustyZip

davesater said:
I too had this problem using stereo jacks. When I plugged them in the unit (if on) would switch off but but would not switch back on again. The cable have got to be mono. As this first ring passed the connactor it would switch on/off but when both were in contact it would not work.

Thats strange, as Arcam in the manuals advise on using stereo jacks... :confused: :confused:

I'll give it a go... Thanks dave...

(Still havnt heard back from Arcam support :thumbsdow )

gazzerr

Standard Member
Not much help but mine don't work either - they did then we took the cables out to move the boxes and they've not worked since!!:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom