1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32SP - Direct Mode Stereo Balance Problem

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by AllanG, Jun 19, 2004.

1. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wonder if any can help me solve the following problem I am having with my AV32RSP processor, which is running V3.80 software.

When playing any CD or stereo source, (eg. SKY), in 'Direct' mode, the stereo image is off-centre, towards the right hand speaker, but when I select 'Direct + Sub', the stereo image is directly in the centre between the left and right speakers.

I have tried all the following to solve the problem, but with no success:-

1. Setting the left and right speaker distances to be equal length, and readjusting the 'sound level'. Whilst trying this, I have found that adjusting the distances has no effect when in 'Direct' mode, but does have an effect when in 'Direct + Sub' mode.........is this correct?

2. Swapping left and right channels from the AV32SRP to my 250x3R amp.........still the sound is off-centre to the right.

3. Loading Versions 3.70; 3.75 and 3.80 software.

4. Resetting the AV32RSP's EEPROM.

Btw, the sound from all other surround modes are OK.

I am now at a loss of what to try next............has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any ideas / suggestions will be very welcome.

Cheers,

Allan

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Allan

Are the speaker cables of equal length as this could effect the impedence and therefore the volume. Also the two speakers could have a slightly different impedence

3. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Sounds to me that it's either the speakers, amp or listening postition is incorrect. On the AV32SP time alignment is not applied when in direct mode, however you can use the speaker output gain calibration setting to ensure all channels are giving out the correct level (use an SPL meter for best results).

As you have already swapped LR from AV to Amp and it had no effect this proves that the AV is consistent on it's ouputs.

Next do the following:

Attach the left speaker to the amplifier that normally handles the right and the right speaker to the amplifier that normally handles the left. If the stereo image is now pulling to the left then there appears to be a gain issue in the amplifier. Check cabling and that the links in the XLR sockets are in as that can introduce quite afew dB of gain difference if not inserted properly.

If the amp test made no difference then it has to be the speakers or listening position. Physically swap the left and right speakers over. If after the swap over the stereo image offset swaps then you have a speaker or speaker cable that has a problem. Swapping the speaker cables over will prove if it's the speaker cables or not. If it makes no difference then this is a listening position/room acoustics issue.

4. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Steve:

A little of topic...but here goes...

I know that you are no longer assocaited with either TMA or IAG (IMHO, their loss) but... do you have any information/update on solutions to the DAB issue I was encountering; more specifically, for those reading, it was freezing while performing the scan using the "Canada" region setting.

Much apprecaited.

Cheers,

Joel

5. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Joel,

As I was working on other stuff (or on holiday..yay!) for the last few months when I was at TAG I didn't have chance to investigate it in detail.

From memory you were saying that it *did* work on the UK/Europe setting but I wasn't sure if you were missing some stations or not. From looking at my original notes the issue had added complication as it appeared that you had a weak signal issue, as sometimes it would find stations and other times not.

It's really up to IAG on how they want to deal with this. I guess some debug build will need to be created so one of their engineers can see at what stage of the DAB scan it is getting stuck and why. It would probably help if you could clarify the reception issue to help simplify the equation.

6. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Steve:

Your memory is correct in that...

-- It does freeze on the "Canada" setting.
    -- It does not pick up all stations on the "Europe" setting

The antennae issue, although, is resolved.

Cheers,

Joel

7. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kenny,

My speaker cables are of equal length, so I shall check out the points rasied by Steve.

Brgds,

Allan

8. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your suggestions...................and I too wish you luck in your new ventures, (though I think IAG have made a mistake letting you go!!).

I tried swapping the speakers cables over at the amp end.........this had no effect.

I am using RCA to XLR plugs on my interconnects, so the links are removed from the amp. I have checked the cable connections, and they appear to be OK.

I will physically change over the L & R speakers this weekend to see if this has an effect.

Brgds,

Allan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,

Managed to borrow some different speaker cable, but this didn't make any difference.

Also, changed over the speakers...........still no difference!

Looks like it may be the room 'acoustics', but I still don't understand why this should alter just because I have changed to new speakers, which are in exactly the same position as the original speakers?

Also, I still don't understand why the sound 'centralises' perfectly when 'Sub' is added to the Direct mode?

Any more ideas?

Brgds,

Allan

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your room is not symetrical, who´s is, it may cause that problem, my right channel sounds a little quieter than the left as it has a bookshelf close by absorbing some sound... :rolleyes:

10. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, whilst not directly related to the problem in hand, I like to mention that the importance of identical speaker cable length is in my opinion overrated as long as speaker cables are of decent design, i.e. low resistance, low impedance and low capacitance. Whilst these parameters tend to increase with cable length, their values are typically tiny compared to the speaker's impedance.

Of course some amplifiers are sensitive to cable construction and hence length, but these are in my opinion questionable designs, often with poor reliability.

Therefore cable differences, even if significant, cannot explain significant output volume differences. It's more likely that a room's acoustics which can enhance certain frequencies at certain positions by up to, say 15dB. You can also hear differences in distance to the speakers if the listening position isn't spot on in the centre.

Sorry for slightly "enhancing" the subject of the thread.

11. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Steve:

I heard back from IAG yesterday re: DAB scanning issue when using/set to the Canadian mode.

In their response they requested that I commence a scan, disconnect the aerial just before the scanning freezes, and recoonect the aerial once the scanning gets by the freezing point (i.e. suggesting that removing the aerial would prevent the scan from freezing). This did not work as not only did the scan freeze but the front panel display immediately read "NO DAB STATIONS".

The response I received back earlier this morning [GREAT SERVICE BY THE WAY] read

"Please bear with us as your problem has been forwarded on for a solution. This could be sometime as it is in the heart of the software".

Can you please comment/shed some light on their response.

Many thanks,

Joel​