1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Av32r's on ebay

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by jpredgrave, Oct 27, 2003.

1. jpredgrave

jpredgrave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you guys seen on ebay there is someone claiming to be selling 7.1 silver Av32r's. (TAG Mclaren AV32R 7.1/192 EX : Silver ) He claims to have 4 of them - Along with thousand of pounds worth of over high value electronics goodies.... scarey stuff, if you are bidding I'd tread carefully. I emailed him and asked if I could pickup from him in London and was told that yes I could but I would have to send the money before hand incase I mugged him and took the lot????

If you are thinking of bidding I'd be very careful with this one.. Both auctions close later today.

2. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Did you ask him for the serial numbers? Easiest way to check the ownership. They do seem rather cheap though, and his "mugging" reply doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Also he has only just started selling electrical goods, quite a jump from games to Tags......

4. jpredgrave

jpredgrave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, asked for the serials and he said he'd send them Monday - they never arrived even though I asked again. I added up the tally of stuff he's listed from the 21st of the Month, £29000 and climbing. Some poor soul paid £3400 for a camera lens, I hope I'm wrong and he's legit!

I've emailed ebay about it and awaiting a response...... if there is one at all.

John

5. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hmmmm is now "no longer a registered member" and is not selling any more items...

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well done guys keep us posted anyone send his details to tag or the met just incase he did have the gear!

7. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi guys!

I was the successful bidder on one of theses 32R's but would only undertake an face to face transfer on an auction of that value.
    I was fairly sceptical about him and told him about the seller of fake goods I nailed 18 months ago... (He even created Fake DHL shipping pages with tracking nos...The FBI nabbed him in the end, so DHL told me!)

Since I told him about this (as my reason for wanting a face-to-face transfer he has failed to repsond.

I managed to contact the buyer of the other unit and stopped him sending any money... We shall keep each other up to date of any progress, but I suspect that we may have unmasked another ebay con-artist!

Regards

Martin Jarvis

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Anyone asking for cash prior to delivery should be avoided...ebay has a simple and secure way of transferring money without this sort of nonsense.....but it does of course require the seller to give his bank details etc to ebay
    I'd expect this one had no wish to do that!

9. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's a little harsh isn't it? It all depends on the person's feedback rating etc. All the items I've sold on eBay (all less than £150) I've never accepted escrow and I always got payment (usually PayPal) before sending the item out and no one has ever had an issue with that.

Conversely, when I bought my DAC64 on eBay for £1400 I did a direct bank transfer to the seller and then he delivered. I exchanged a couple of e-mails with him and I saw that he had also sold some stuff to a friend of mine so I knew he was kosher.

Each situation has to be evaluated on its own merit.

Michael.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Perhaps it is a little harsh in retrospect,but my point is the same,that it's all very well dealing with persons you know(or a friend knows,as you've said above),but you should be very wary of sending cash,when Paypal or other traceable methods of money transfer exist,especially when dealing in high cost items.

11. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK - I didn't realise that by "cash" you weren't including PayPal, in which case I pretty much agree with you. I nearly always use PayPal for my eBay transactions. I didn't for the DAC64 because it was a lot of money meaning the PayPal charge was a lot and because I "knew" the person I was dealing with.

Michael.

12. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hello again,

Just to bring everyone up to date, I will point out that since informing the seller of these auctions of my previous experience of unmasking a fake seller of non-existant high value goods, neither myself, nor the other winning bidder from the same day have heard from the seller at all... he has apparently disappeared.

The buyer who won a unit from the same seller a few days earlier has apparently sent the money, but not recieved any goods... I am in touch with my fellow seller, and we will update any further developments... but it looks like this seller managed to skip town with one large payment... my past experience stopped it being 3 lots.....

I bought my existing AV32R through a Paypal transaction, and even that had me nervous.... Now I've identified what appears to be a 2nd con-artist selling high value goods, I will only ever go with face-to face transfer for goods of this sort of value...

A lesson there for many I suspect...

Regards,

Martin

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I've more than once encountered fraudulent vendors on Ebay who have feedback ratings of plus several hundred. I wouldn't pay much attention to the feedback rating, if I were you. The system is too easy to hack.

14. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK Nicolas - it's impossible to go on just one thing but 99% of the time it's pretty easy to spot who's genuine and who isn't if you use a bit of common sense, take a look at feedback, what the person has sold/bought before etc.

Michael.

15. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I posted this originally in another forum (see sig ;) ) but since this thread is about eBay fraud I thought I'd add it here aswell:

Got an e-mail (via eBay) from someone who wanted to by the Musical Fidelity NuVista M3 I'm selling on eBay. Suspicions were raised as he talked about a "watch" and not an amplifier. Secondly, on checking his (many) eBay transactions he seems to have bought a hell of a lot of dodgy looking clothes and not much else. Also, his name is Greek and he said he lives in Sweden and his eBay ID is registered in the US.

I replied, wondering if he had made a mistake and letting him know the reserve price. He then said he had made a mistake, the price was OK and could I do a deal right now? He said he wanted to use an escrow service and he suggested http://www.triple-trader.com/ as he was already registered there (with a userid totally different to his eBay ID).

On first inspection the triple-trader.com looks genuine but dig a little deeper and there are issues:
    - not listed as one of eBay's recommended escrow services
    - says is based in "London, UK" but DNS registration is a PO Box in West Virginia.
    - doesn't give out a physical address beyond "London, UK"
    - and the killer: it's Verisign seal is faked. Mouse over the seal and it looks like you're about to hit the Verisign site but that's just Javascript. Click on the link and it brings up what looks like a genuine Verisign seal but it's actually been generated by their own site. Use the actual URL that the mouse-over makes it look like you're going to and you get an empty/unknown certificate.

VeriSign will be informed (they have a seal abuse reporting page).

So, steer clear of http://www.Triple-Trader.com/ and anyone suggesting you use it for a transaction.

Do you reckon I should inform eBay about this? For all I know the eBay user the e-mail claims to have come from isn't involved and someone has "hijacked" his ID.

Michael.

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    michealab....I think that it would be worth informing ebay,as even if the person has some previously good trades,his current activities dont look promising.

17. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I sold my old CRT Projector on ebay for £2,500 and insisted I deliver, when I got to the house the bankers draft I was presented with was made out to the wrong name, I insisted they go to the bank to get another. I actually drove them to the bank and must admit when they went inside my palms were getting a little sweaty in case they did a runner (the PJ was in their house)

It all turned out fine and the wrong name was an innocent mistake.

I always try and do face to face now preferably with me delivering!!

Steve

18. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have to agree,Steve...all the transactions I've done have either been via Paypal or face-to-face...I also check wherever possible that the serial numbers etc are genuine.
    Any genuine dealer/seller should be willing to give details like that to you.

19. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yep, had on after a high value item I was selling. Wanted to do some European Escrow service and pay me way over what the item was worth. Had to be dodgy and I told him in no uncertain terms not to bid on the item or contact me. I never use Escrow. I expect people to trust me if I am selling or collect it from me personally. I also send money for goods I buy unless it's a lot, in which case I collect with cash.

So far I have sold hundreds of items and had not one problem. Half of the problem is people not being clear up front what the payment and delivery requirements are.

You do have to be careful though. I always stick to UK only deals.

20. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    What possible reason could they have for trusting you when they don't know anything about you? Would you trust them if they asked you to deliver the item to them by courier first and promised that they would send you the money afterwards? If not, then why do you expect them to exhibit that level of trust in you?

21. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Or collect it personally (if they don't trust me).

22. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    eBay got back to me and said they are investigating and suspect that the account has been hijacked...

Michael.

23. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is one of the three standard texts they send
    forget it all and be carefull, that is the only way that can prevent problems

24. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

The question I always ask is if I win can I pay cash and pick up in person, when they give excuses as to why not, then just walk away.

John

25. jpredgrave

jpredgrave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly the question I asked on my first ever auction and it turned out to be dodgy, luckily I walked away and didn't send the 425 cash.......

26. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the subject on ebay and it being dodgy i have had no experience of fraud so far, thank god!
    When i put my old Panasonic 200 pj up for auction i got about 10 e-mails a day from dodgy account holders wishing to use an escrow service and claimed to live in completely different locations to what their ebay i-d said, they also called my pj such things as a 'watch', computer and other random things. They gave links to supposed escrow services and kept asking questions such as "can you give me a full spec of the watch?" and "i am very interested in your computer, where are you collected?"
    now instead of using ebay i use the classified here. I have already sold a lot of my old system on this-the members here are both friendly and understanding and genuine! I have also bought all my new system here. And it is free!
    cheers
    Fred

27. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sample question when selling gear on ebay.

Hello dear sir!
    My name is Francois Brosse and i'm interested into your item.
    Please let me know if you will be able to ship in Netherlands and how much it will be your last price.
    I want to let you know that because this is the first time when we deal,and a lot of people sale fake produtcs, my only option for payment it will be via Europe Deals Company (www.europe-deals.net)
    Please have a look and if you agree please mail me back the detailes of your last price.
    All the fees and shipping charges it will be payd by me.
    If you don't agree my way of payment please don't mail me back because, no other way it's posible.
    I wish a nice day and i wait for your answer.
    Best regards, Francois

My Reply:

Francois,
    >
    >I'm afraid I will ship to the UK only. Please do not bid on this item.
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Steve

His Reply

Hello!
    If you want to ship in Netherlands my offer will be 850 GBP for unit.
    I will pay for Europe Deals Escrow fees.
    Please let me know asap.
    Regards

My reply

Hi,

No thanks. Please do not bid on this item. I require cleared funds before
    despatching any item.

Steve

May have been genuine......not. The thing was worth £600 max.