1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32R Upgrades No Longer Available for older models

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Tony Fisher, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Tony Fisher

Tony Fisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I rang the IAG helpdesk earlier today to enquire as to how much it would cost to upgrade my AV32R 7.1 Ex to AV32RBP192 or higher and was told that it is no longer supported and that it was not possible to upgrade my processor from the new price list.
    So that's it, so much for the continued support! I guess i left it too late with all the uncertainty can you blame me, now the decision is made for me and my upgrade will be to another manufacturer.

2. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tony:

The news you provided...that AV32R's can no longer be upgraded within the AV32R line or up to the AV192R (granted, depending on their vintage) is most unfortunate. Not only does it send a clear messag... that IAG is not providing the level of support provided by TMA... but, once public knowledge, the resale price of AV32R will drop like stones. Perhaps this is why we have seen some very deep discounted AV32Rs on e-bay.

Speaking of support... I did send off two e-mail to IAG re: software issues surrounding my DAB unit. It has been over two weeks and not a peep... not even an ackowledgement of receipt.

Graham, I know that you have had conversations with IAG and felt that things would proceed in a positive fashion. To that end, I am curious as to when you last spoke to spoke to them and what your current feeling/sentiments are.

Over to your side of the pond...

Joel

3. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Does your tag have the 5.1bypass, If so and you decide to sell could you let me know as I may be interested

Thanks

Paul

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that is true I wish them burn in hell !

I do not know if I should be happy now because I did it in time, or should I be angry for upgrading my TAG and not going to Meridian or Linn (they sound better anyway).

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well if you had upgraded to Meridian or Linn they wouldnt have been upgradable either, so it dosnt make much difference. But if you dont like the sound of your Tag kit then yes you should have changed anyway.

6. Tony Fisher

Tony Fisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joel,

If they had replied to my e mail form a few months ago perhaps it would have been upgraded by now. I only rang them today as a last resort.

Paul,

If it had the 5.1BP then it can be upgarded to a DP, but for me it is too late, the 5.1 BP is what i wanted so I could at least use my DVD player for SACD and DVD Audio.

7. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am still considering upgrading an AV192R, with a VSM2048 +HDTV. I have been advised from IAG, that they are again moving the upgrade section to new premises, and will be back in business on 14/07/04.

Has anyone upgraded to the scaler since the business was transferred?
    Do they still have the original engineers, who did the work on the VSM2048, I know that some did not take up the offer of a new position with IAG?
    Can we therefore expect that we shall still get the same level of service and support?
    Is there a chance that they might offer the remaining TMA scaler boards at a reduced price, in the assumption that the entire range may be redesigned under the Audiolab name?

I appreciate that answers to the above will be speculative, but I would be interested to get the feelings of the TMA contingent.

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony,
    Give RoversD1 a PM, I believe that he is stil a IAG employee and he may be able to confirm

HTH
    John

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    All.

I've asked some very direct questions today of what is the actual situation, I await a reply of which at least some will be posted here (commerial confidentuality permitting). I suggest that until then no-body jumps to any conclusions :lease: It wouldn't take much of a rumour to do a lot of damage....

For instance did anyone ask if the lack of upgrade potential on the AV32R was just on the work to a single chip device? Are DAB upgrades still OK for instance......I can understand a certain reluctance in working on a unit just to bring it upto the last single sharc spec. Upgrades to DP status might be alltogether different as long as it involved a board swap???? Standard "bolt in" upgrades in either the DP or AV192 would not be difficult to install either....I might even be tempted (if the parts were available) to start a side line in doing them :D

All I'm saying is that the chap at the top of this thread asked a direct question regarding his unit, it doesn't mean that all units meet with the same response........That is how wars start.........

10. Tony Fisher

Tony Fisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Graham,

In my original comment I did say or higher, meaning DP as well, so as far as IAG is concerned my model is no good for any upgrades, period! However there are still some upgrades available, so i agree we don't want to start a war!

11. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I think this might be down to the facilities they currently have, and what they took over from TAG. In order to upgrade old boards some complicated work was needed.
    bp192 units are prepared for upgrades, so it is more or less plugging and calibrating.

However the huge dissapointment for everyone.

12. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    My Question tommorrow will be if i send my AV32R with dab into IAG for 5.1 Bypass and 192 Dacs can i have a new motherboard fitted at the same time ?and for how much ?.

If they cannot/will not update theses older motherboard then fine but give us a option.If my unit went for surgery to dual sharcs would it recieve a new motherboard anyway ?

13. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I seem to recall an option for the AV32R - AV192R that allowed a new motherboard to be fitted for the price of £399.00

Which in the light of things seems resonable because they charge £199.00 regardless of the spec of your motherboard to bring it upto date anyway

14. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that would be fair, but i am not sure if they want to upgrade at all. strange way to make business!

iag also understands no value of web. just take a look to their other sites. also they still have following sentence on their site:
    "All AV32R can be upgraded to AV32Rbp-192 THX Ultra2 Dual Processor 7.1"
    here is the link:
    http://www.internationalaudiogroup.com/tma/av32rbp192dual_main.htm

i think they will lose their credibility very soon
    sad sad sad ............

15. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Just to shoot the cat amongst the pidgeons -

The good news you will all want to hear is:

All upgrades are available as before including the 192 DAC upgrade that Tony had requested.

Tony had been given the wrong information in error.

Hope this helps.

16. Tony Fisher

Tony Fisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Roversd1,

Thanks for your help, i will be in touch with IAG shortly to discuss my upgrade.
    Hopefully things will go a bit smoother from here!

Tony

17. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good they changed their mind :)
    forget about hell, there is no beer there anyway !

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya Rover SD1.
    Thats much more like it, well done mate.

Pity David hasn't replied to my missive yet, maybe it helped the decision though ;)

For what its worth I'd go for the new board option if going the whole hog to DP as that is a big mod job on older boards however if Nick is holding the soldering iron I'd be quite happy for him to do it......Actually although the 192DAC mod is very much cheaper I'd urge people to seriously consider the full monty as that brings the unit bang up to date and no-one really knows for just how much longer that will be possible, the AV32R/DP is a seriously good unit.....

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya Rover SD1.
    Thats much more like it, well done mate.

Pity David hasn't replied to my missive yet, maybe it helped the decision though ;)

For what its worth I'd go for the new board option if going the whole hog to DP as that is a big mod job on older boards however if Nick is holding the soldering iron I'd be quite happy for him to do it......Actually although the 192DAC mod is very much cheaper I'd urge people to seriously consider the full monty as that brings the unit bang up to date and no-one really knows for just how much longer that will be possible, the AV32R/DP is a seriously good unit.....

20. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Graham,

Although I really agree with you about the DP (of course, I wouldn't want to miss it :cool:) ), I can imagine people find it still a heavy investment, and I would like to say that the 192 DACs upgrade is still a very nice upgrade.

About the period that upgrades will be available: well, as long as they still earn money with it I think it will be ok. So, let's keep Rover and his other helpdesk mate into bussiness and upgrade folks! :thumbsup:

21. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    It is a considerable outlay granted but less than the majority of the other manufacturers options at this sound quality......

BTW, I have no idea why my last post appeared twice but the forum has had its moments tonight.......

Run those cables yet?

22. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nope, but I received the bnc connectors today :) . But I first have to buy the new projector before I can use them, remember? (small detail :D ))

23. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    So would it be fair to say that if, like myself, your surroundings dictated that you could only have 5.1 and not 7.1, then would laying out the cash to get the AV32 SP made into a DP be a waste of time & money? Does it improve the sound of the music as well as Movies?
    I have got the AV32 SP with the 192 Dac, but not 5.1 Bypass.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure the DP is Fab and would love to have one.

24. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Most definately, because with the DP you get the most important sound improving option available anywhere: TMREQ :clap: As well as an improved power supply and improved code for both stereo and multichannel sources. I dont know if IAG are able to do it but when TMA did the upgrade they could upgrade you to DP but leave your unit as 5.1 only, you would have to ask them to find out :confused: The DP upgrade is by far the most dramatic improvement in sound quality you can get.

25. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Oh, and mine dosnt have the 5.1 BP either. I had it DP'd without as I didnt want it.

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep the DP is far and away the best upgrade for sound quality both movies with enhanced surround steering and stereo with a fair bit of help from TMREQ. We don't use either of ours in 7.1 mode as yet as frankly it doesn't make the difference people say it does assuming a good set of, and well positioned, speakers but it is future proof in as much as going to 7.1 would be the only thing we might do in the forseeable future......
    The PSU upgrade just makes it all work so don't get hung up on that one.....

I also thought that your could upgrade to 5.1 DP but I believe only new 7.1 units are available so it might be better if your up for a motherboard swap to have the 7.1, at best your never use it (but the action switches you will), at worst you'll wish you did while you could.......I'm also not a fan of the BP......It should have been a full 5.1 input subject to all the DSP/TMREQ but that is water under the bridge now.......

27. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Bugger - Now I really am tempted.
    I have contacted Tag - awaiting a reply.

28. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah yes, maybe so, but a 5.1 user might find the nifty 2nd zone feature that is available in the 7.1 unit a real boon. It's amazing how the odd feature all of a sudden is a real treat. Although I'm using a 7.1 setup, I still use the 2nd Zone feature when I'm lying on my couch facing the other way when listening to stereo.

Considering that there probably won't be any HDMI II upgrade I guess the 5.1 bypass is mandatory if one wants to take advantage of high rez discs (although DTS 24/96 can always be used - but where's the SW?) without having to get rid of the AV32R DP unit, If high rez discs are unimportant then it doesen't matter. Although you never know if an untampered input connection might come in handy in the future...

And yes, I too wish the 5.1 bypass should've been subject to the DP/TMREQ feature...

cheers

29. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I have had a reply from Tag about the DP upgrade for the Av32 - 5.1 SP
    Cost £1700.
    It’s a lot o lolly, but I’m tempted :cool:.

So can all you converts please tell me what are the differences between the SP and the DP, both for Music and for Movies?

Cheers

30. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I have had a reply from Tag about the DP upgrade for the Av32 - 5.1 SP
    Cost £1700.
    It’s a lot o lolly, but I’m tempted :cool:.

So can all you converts please tell me what are the differences between the SP and the DP, both for Music and for Movies?

Cheers