AV32R sound digital input issue

fortisflyer75

Not sure if anyone else has had this on their AV32R in the past, for a while now my 10 year old AV32R sometimes does not seem to latch on to the next digital source that is selected and no audio comes through so to get it to register you have to choose another input and go back again for it to kick in.

This happens with my Sky HD box occasionally but changing the sky channel over and back does the trick to get audio to kick back in - this is via optical cable.

My Arcam DV27 is hooked up via coax and when I play a cd now days a lot of the time no sound comes through and have to change to another input and back again physically on the tag for it to register the signal from the Arcam.

Does this sound like something starting to go on a board in the Tag as I never used to have this issue albeit this has been like this for the last 18 months or so, possibly longer!

Any advice greatly appreciated in advance.

ti33er

Hmmm I might try a hard reset and set up the AV32R again. There is a sequence of buttons one can hold when booting up, I forget now but Kevin will know, pm you his address...

fortisflyer75

Cheer's ti33er, I will ping him later on some time.

It's not got any worse in that course of time but one day I am sure maybe that bit of soldering on a board will finally give up the ghost and go POW!

ti33er

Power supply also does funny things to the AV when it starts to go FYI ...this the most common fault on them unfortunately :)

fortisflyer75

Not had that happen yet thank god! Bear that in mind if it does show those symptoms though.

Looking to have it looked over by Kevin once I also acquire a 100x5R & DVD32R (both in silver) if anyone is out there!

ti33er

Usually notice spits in the sonics but other anomalies happen too when PSU starts to fault. Have had error codes, warped sounding music, non-responsive to remote control issues (I've had about 4 Tag Processors over the years, 3 had PSU issues) ! :)

fortisflyer75

So I have done well to have one last this long for ten years in November then!

Where they all DP AV32's with the psu's going or any the single chip AV32's?

ti33er

Two Dual Proccesors and an SP ...I didn't have the AV30R long enough to find out, it's a pile of junk lol

fortisflyer75

Guess the A30R was their entry level budget model for those who could not afford another £1k or more on top. Will wrap my AV32R in cotton wool from now on anyhow.

mabu

I have this issue too on my AV32R-192bp, my old AV32R 96kHz version does not have this.
So the 192bp is only connected to a stereo CD-A drive. When I power both up with the power button (not using the stand-by) I often have no sound until re-selecting the source on the AV32R.
With the old AV32R 96kHz version, which is working for the home cinema, I always use the stand-by mode before switching power connection of the whole chain. Maybe this is an issue.

ti33er

Hi Mabu

Just a thought but one can assign two audio sources per remote button..if you tap the same button twice it alternates between them - this can be seen and configured in the advanced setup menu? :)

Paul

mabu

I know hat and use that. After switching on the correct source is selected. So "Re-selecting" for me either means selecting a different source and back or twice selecting the current source because my second assignment on the remote source button is the bypass. Maybe switching to the bypass and back results in some resetting of the DAC, I did not test that all in detail because I avoid switching power on the AV32R to often... but I let you know if I can reproduce the problem more detailed..ok so far it is not really a problem, functionality after this start period is perfect (since this is a device that once was repaired by Kevin, he replaced some weak memory chips, no problems anymore after that :) )

mabu

I noticed last time that I don't have the problem if I first put the AV32R-192bp into stand-by before switching off power supply.

ti33er

Hmmm I must say that I ALWAYS put the units into Standby before hard powering them off so I wouldn't know about this issue.

I had dabbled with the thought of getting these energy saver with remote control mains extension boards, but I never did being concerned about surges or brown outs into sensitive equipment.

mabu

I'm not sure what you mean with "remote control extension boards", but I did switch my old AV32R (96khz) by using remote switches, as I did with the rest of my home cinema. Therefore I put the AV32R into standby first and I never had problems. I don't have all devices on a single remote switch but I have seperate ones for the power amps and one for the low power devices such as DVD drive and AV32R. There of course are architecture-based frequency response problems using these cheap remote switches close side by side, so I need to place them with a distance. But this is a well-known issue.

The problem with the required source switching after starting I first noticed with my 2nd AV32R-192bp, and last time it didn't show this issue after resuming from standby after powering. I did not run a several tests but this one...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom