1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32R RC5 System Address

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by BlueNose, Jul 17, 2004.

1. BlueNose

BlueNose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Is there any way of changing the RC5 remote codes on the AV32R?

I have a Meridian G98 dvd which shares the same codes for some of the inputs, i.e pressing the menu button brings up the Tags menu etc..

This is a right pain in the arse as I have to manually change things :thumbsdow

Thanks

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

No, it's not possible. Suggest having a word with Meridian as the Philips RC5 specification allocates group 19 (and 16) for preamps NOT DVD players! For some reason their player is using the wrong group as it must be using 19! :nono:

3. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :D

4. BlueNose

BlueNose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response, I mailed Meridian who replied saying there are no real rules to RC5.
    They also made the point that they had been using the same codes for the 5xx and 800 series and had been around longer than Tag.

The part that mattered most though was the fact that I am F*****.

I suppose the only way around this as it's all going into a unit is to try and find a IR emitter that I can attach to the G98 and manually control the tag.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think they'll find that in the Philips RC5 spec (last issued about 1992 - well before Meridian were doing DVD players!) it mapped out various products for the addresses, to help minimise the issue you are having. At that time DVD players didn't exist so wasn't mentioned in the spec, but I would never really catagorise a DVD player as a preamp! If they need a copy of the spec then I can provide them a copy :devil:

Seriously, I believe in their system it was caused ages ago by a Meridian non-learning system remote that originally came from their 2 channel systems and only blasted out on address 19. A case of break backwards compatibility on your own products or introduce new ones with other manufacturers.

Apart from blocking off one of the sensors there isn't much you can do about it. Sorry guv.... teach you for not buying a TMA DVD player :D

6. sam3k

sam3k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One solution to your problem is to get one of the newer Pronto remotes and 2 of their RF IR emitter boxes. They come with IR emitters on leads that you can stick onto the IR receiver of what you want to control. If you have a 7.1 AV32r you can even plug them straight into the 'remote in' on the back.

It's then pretty easy to send the Meridian commands to one box and the TAG commands to the other, some careful use of masking tape on the IR emitters should hopefully stop any stray IR signals going places that they shouldn't. In fact if your TAG does have a remote in on the back you could just buy one RF-IR box and use that to control the TAG, tape over it's front IR window and then use IR to control the Meridian.

It's not the cheapest solution in the world, but look at the bright side, you do get a Pronto out of it :)

Sam.