Av32r loosing centre channel intermittently - help needed

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by gizlaroc, Jul 9, 2004.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    I decided to pick up an AV32r vanilla 5.1 unit to replace my Meridian 568.2, as I have lost my dedicated room and wanted to spend the money elswhere.
    However last night whilst watching sky the centre channel kept dropping out, a quick hit of the THX button would bring it back, or changing the channels.

I have run a cd all morning in PL surround+sub as thsi is what I was using last night and it has been playing for 3 hours no on repaet with no problem at all.

Has anyone ever had this before? it happened last night during early evening news and again during question time, during the latter it happened 4 times in a row with about a minute gap between each time, I am hoping that maybe it was somthing in the broadcast rather than a problem with the processor.

Any ideas ??

thanks

Guy

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does it fair with a DVD?

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Don't know, I was watching TV last night and have run a cd through all morning, will try a DVD tonight.
    I only got it yesterday though and if there is a problem I want to tell the guy asap, I just wondered if there is a known problem with earlier models?

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Are you running the latest software? V3.8 was the last to be released. The old AV32RSP had very few complaints and was a very reliable unit. The only problems that appeared were when the DP came out, initially it had quite a few niggles but theyre all sorted out now. I would suspect that it was to do with the transmission or your digi box. Did you have a look to see what the AV32 display was showing when the centre dropped out? was it still displaying the centre speaker as active?

5. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are no 'known' problems as if you are playing sources in multi channel modes without problem, then why should it be the AV32R?

If the Sky audio signal quality drops below a certain threshold, there wont be enough information for the processor. Sometimes this exhibits itself as 'warbles' from the surrounds or drops

Was it connected via a digital link or analog?

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    It was connected via the optical.

I am hoping that it was maybe the weather or somthing, just that I have never had it happen with my Lexicon or my Meridian and on one night with the Tag it happened half a dozen times or more, starts you thinking there is somthing up.

I will, as I said, try running a dvd tonight and see if it happens on that.

7. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's not the centre channel swapping with the sub intermittently after a digital signal drops out with an error and then returns?

They share the same I2S digital audio connection internally and if there is a subtle fault with the unit the SHARC can end up locking onto the wrong edge of the word clock (hence Centre<->Sub, Left<->Right, etc.). It's very odvious when centre and sub swap, you have to be a bit more awake for the other channels!

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    My daughter just came down and said there is no voices on the tele, once again the centre has dropped out.

All the lights on the front are indicating that there is still centre info, and as soon as I switch channels, so it looses sync and then gets it back again, it is fine until the next time.

What a pain in the arse !!

9. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Could you let me know the following:

1. Is the centre channel completely silent when the fault occurs?

2. Are you using the remote control to change surround mode/input? I want to rule out an intermitant cabling faults, where small movements of the physcal unit could remake a connection again briefly.

3. If you look through the top vents of the unit can you see a daughter card (about 4inches x 3inches) with a SHARC 21055L chip on it? If not can you only see the main motherboard with the SHARC chip (the big one) directly on it.

4. Do you loose audio on your subwoofer as well?

Bottom line is that unless there is a simple cabling fault (2) which I'm not too convinced about, it sounds like you've brought a unit with an intermittant fault on it.

If there was an issue on the source material then all channels would be lost temporarily, not just the centre. Maybe time to have a word with the person who sold you it....

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Hi Steve,

thanks for taking the time to answer mate.

1. It seems completely silent but I will stick my ear next to it when it happens again just to see if there is any bleed.

2. yeah using the remote and swapped all cabling.

3. there is a daughter board in there.

4. Don't think I am loosing audio on the sub, but will make sure next time.

I have swapped sky+ boxes, cables and even the channel on my power amp just in case.
    The guy I bought it from has been good, he said he has never had a problem and obviously would like to try everything before we do anything drastic.
    I don't know if it would be worth flashing the firmware from 3.75 to 3.80 just in case that sorts it, but it seems to be more of fault on one of the processors to me.

I take it that if it has a daughter board then it is probably an early unit?

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    After swapping the sky boxes round I have left it running all night without a problem :blush:

So it may be ok now, I just cannot understand how a box that I have been using for 2 years with a Lexicon, then a Meridian has been fine but the day I plug the Tag in looses centre channel, maybe it has gone faulty at exactly teh same time and it is just coincidence?
    I dont understand how, over optical, it looses just centre info though, surely it would loose everything?

thanks for the suggestions guys, I may be back on hear swearing and asking for more help if it happens again though :D

12. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

I've also had the same problem, I'm running a 5.1 SP with PL2.

There is no pattern to when or how frequent, on stuff from the hard disc or 'live' , but its bloody annoying.

I've got V3.8 installed.

It was previously connected via optical, but since connected via analogue, it doesn't seem to have happened.

As mentioned, the centre can restored by changing channels, etc. or if its left long enough, it will 'restore' itself.

Ten

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Interesting.

This only happens with one box, I have swapped boxes and it doesnt happen on the box from the bedroom.

Is it tags fault or Sky's, or maybe a bit of both ??

14. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pass :laugh:

Anyone else?

Ten

15. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe it's because there is some intermittent loss of digital data? I don't know if this occurs with anyone else's AV32R, but on mine - if there is intermittent loss of data thru the digital inputs, say the CD skips a few times then the whole software sort of freezes in whatever setting it was in previously. Stevesky, is this what it is supposed to do?

Also, can someone please remind me of how to do a master reset/"the three prong salute?" :thumbsup: Cheers.

16. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The only bug that fits what you describe is the one that was fixed in v3.8. It's a bit of a tricky one to reproduce but basically the following conditions must be met:

1. Change processing mode using a direct access code. If done via the normal TMA remore it worked fine.

2. When doing (1) there has to be no signal on the active digital input.

3. The signal has to be then applied, taken away with an error making it go through multiple sampling frequencies (source equipment clocks going mental) and then re-applied again.

The end result was that the processing mode on the front panel would be one thing, the actual processing mode would be the last one you used before changing input with a direct access code.

To avoid the usual speculation I think a few more facts and figures need to be accumulated before any firm conclusions can be made on whats going on here.

EEPROM reset - Digital + THX + Right. Hold all down at startup. When prompted press the 'Normal' key.

17. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the answer. I am using v3.8 and have been for some time. You mean if the above conditions are still present in v3.8 you will still get the fault? I'll explain what happened:

The AV32R is switched on and is also connected by Tag bus to the power amp. I normally switch modes using the Pronto and there is no signal during this time. Listened to CD and had a scratched CD that skipped quite a bit then when I tried to switch over to DVD it doesn't do it and stays stuck in the same mode.

Is this basically the same as what you said? So the solution is very simple - avoid scratched CD's!!! :thumbsup: Which is what I've done anyway......

18. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unless you change processing mode on a per cd basis why not use the initial modes feature (menu->change setup->input options->CD->44.1k Initial mode).