1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32r + DVD32flr 192dacs, is it worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by tiller269, Jan 10, 2005.

1. tiller269

tiller269

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help! I am in the position of being able to upgrade my basic 5.1 AV32r to 192dacs. But what I want to know is it really worth it. I have heard so many conflicting reports, so now I need to hear from someone who has had it done. Please help me! I'm desperate to spend some money!! I can be contacted directly on, tiller269@ntlworld.com.

2. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone that wouldn't agree that the 192 DAC upgrade was worth it! It really is.

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I'd consider going the whole hog and doing the DP upgrade whilst you still can...... Its only money......

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    but for old 5.1 AV32R with the £199 'addition', doing any of this work is quite expensive.

DACS £395, DAC and bypass £795. Then you add the £199. Shipping on top, typically the best part of £50. This makes the DAC upgrade typically £650.

Doing the whole Hog as Graham suggests has some merit here, these are not cheap upgrades and I for one have never been convinced that they offer value for money. Better certainly but £650 better just for DACs?.

5. tiller269

tiller269

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er, thanks guys. I would love to go the whole hog and get the DP, but from what I can gather, that's the best part of £2K. I love my TAG, but not sure it's worth all that! Had an interesting chat with a service guy at IAG, who told me that some internal components would be 'upgraded' to the latest spec, and that's where some of the extra £200 goes. We shall see!!

6. andyjayh

andyjayh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was just about to post the same question when I found this link. I am also the owner of an early av32 and I was interested in how much difference the dac upgrade would make. I am at an ideal time to do this as my system has been stored due to house building work :)
    Still would like more feedback from people that have gone through this upgrade before I spend 600 quid on some dacs. Keen to do this but would just like to know that it's worth it.
    Andy