• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

AV32R Dual Processor

jungool

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

Can someone please advise me on what would be the right price for an AV32R.

The unit was ugraded to dp/192dacs in december 2004. Does not have 5.1Bypass.

I hope this is not seen as an advert, it's just a request for advise on price.

Thanks a bunch,

Jungool

GrahamMG

A proper DP has to be worth £2k....... Trouble is that there are so many variables on upgraded kit 5.1/7.1/bypass/dab/options etc. These can make a big difference to the price. Of course the upgrade itself has an influence too depending on what it was upgraded from and how well it was done (has it had rework since/DTS 96/24 replay etc.......).

Plump

Standard Member
normally such upgraded unit would have second hand market value of 1.6-1.7k
but since it was upgraded in 12/2004 it can only mean the board is changed, therefore if all software options are activated it might get 2k.

GrahamMG

I'd love to know who wrote the "Glass's" guide for this.... :D These things don't come up for sale second hand often yet. Are we driving the price down so hifibitz can judge what to offer stock at??? :lease: If that is the case I'll say the things are absolute rubbish and not worth a lot and anything over £500 is asking too much :rotfl: :rotfl: Cash waiting..... ;)

Plump

Standard Member
500? are you kidding, cum'on that's overpriced .....? :D

GrahamMG

If you don't ask..........etc....
After all a fully loaded AV192R is only 6 times that! :devil:

Plump

Standard Member
6 times, no, not with the scaler that can't deinterlace 1080i
max 5 times I'd say....

GrahamMG

I was "done" then..... :rotfl:

GrahamMG

BTW. Not deinterlacing 1080i isn't an issue, hardly anyone can do anything with a 1080p signal anyway..... Actually I think it does de-interlace but not scale? 720p is all 99% of people want anyway! HDTV in the UK looks set to be that..... Until we all can afford 2k x 1k DLP's it will do just fine and at that time in the future we will all be using PC's for our viewing so off board scalers will be dead ducks...... And you know I'll say "told you so" :rotfl:

jungool

Standard Member
To Plump: Yes the board was definitly changed, the invoice attests to that. I sent it in at the end of October Job was done and returned to me within the quoted lead time.

To Graham: Please tell me you are kidding about the £500.00 price. I'm just looking to get an idea of a fair price before putting it up for sale through the right channels.

Plump

Standard Member
Well, than you might get 2k if you're lucky.
Recently all DP units with bypass went for (on ebay or elsewhere) slightly over 2k.
Without bypass it is matter of luck on ebay and matter of negotiations elsewhere.

GrahamMG

Yes indeed I was not being serious about the £500, my sense of humour.......
Around half list price would be very fair......

GrahamMG

Why would you sell it anyway......?????

jungool

Standard Member
I have a Bryston 9BST and i'm in the process of getting the Bryston SP1.7 Processor. Thought i'd keep things uniformed....warranty and all that.....

GrahamMG

Although I have strong ties with Bryston and PMC, the SP7.1 is a step backwards in quality from the DP...... The 9BST is easily as good as the 100x5R (in truth a bit better), the TAG 250x3R and the Bryston 6BSST are a big step up.....

jungool

Standard Member
The funny thing about this is that i was actually on the hunt for a 100x5R when someone on the TAG halpdesk recommended Bryston.

Would you care to elaborate about this 'step backwards in quality from the DP...... '

GrahamMG

The TAG DP is about as good as it gets from a processing/sound quality and ease of use/setup point of view and of course it includes TMREQ........Nothing in this price range (or probably any price) sounds any better frankly once setup... The Bryston SP7.1 is a fine device but it isn't as good as a DP IMHO....

Mr Yakimoto

I think you are mad :suicide: to flog it.

jungool

Standard Member
Tag equipment (bought brand new or used) are not your regular high street electronics and i believe that the quality and the ability to upgrade the units are wonderful selling points.

If anyone had told me that i'd one day try to 'flog' my AV32R, i would have said they were MAD.
The present situation with IAG is however rather scary and understandably, they'll only do what's best for their business. No matter where it leaves the present customers.

The test of any product at this level is surely in the backing it recieves from it's manufacturers. IAG must realise that they inherited this responsibility.

Plump

Standard Member
I'd agree, it is damn scary. And starting from this point of view, pre/pro with 20 years of warranty is a logical way to go. If you can live without TMREQ (I can't) it is good choice.

I consider myself very lucky since I never had any problem with my TAG gear (apart from totally unmatched blue LED levels) but I must say I am scared of loosing my gear for 3-4 months for IAG repair. Or even worse, who knows if top loader will be reparable in 5 years or so?!

GrahamMG

I'll wager none of us will be using stuff like this in 5 years time.....Not only TAG gear.... Flat panel speakers built into walls, ULED or better screen walls, centre nervious system for music and films, download libraries (Blockbuster on line!) beamed HDTV direct to your server via satellite......etc........ SKYNET.......
Be afraid people........ If I get 18 months out of the current kit I will be doing very well......technology is moving that fast in the home entertainment business.....

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom