1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32R DP vs Anthem D1

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by jungool, Oct 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jungool

jungool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I wonder if the forum experts would take a look at the Anthem D1 and possibly rate it against
    the AV32R DP. I’m sure some members are aware of this product.

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/D1/D1.html

It’s made by a North American company called Anthem A/V. The company belongs to Paradigm. They’re apparently preparing for the production of a 230V version. Release date as yet unknown.

It’s everything that I personally would have liked the AV32R DP to become when it grew up.

2. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    More impressive is teh ANthem D2 which is scheduled to be released shorty...it can, among other things, include a deinterlacer/scaler based on the Gennum chipset...

Looks very very sweet...not to mention it is a Canadian company.

Joel

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Looks very nice but seems to be missing one thing the DP offers....no room EQ,apart from tone controls,which really arent anything like as useful.

Otherwise,it really does look like a very nice machine..

4. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Joel, I hear that the D2 has HDMI inputs (with OSD overlay on HDMI feeds). Does anyone know if it supports HDMI 1.1 audio, hence can route 8 channels of PCM to the DSP? From what I've read so far it sounds like they've focused just on the video side.

For UK and Europe I would like to see RGBCs support so you can connect Sat boxes, Games consoles etc. using RGB. Component YPbPr inputs only is rather limiting to please an international market.

Personally I wouldn't of used all that processing power doing 8 channels worth of 192K upsampling (it must be close to using up all the power of 1 of the DSP's), would of prefered the option of decent RoomEQ as an alternative. I see that the output stage is using the same core bits as the AV32DP... AKM4395 DAC's, CS3310 volume controls. They went down the high quality capacitor coupled output route, rather than TAG's DC servos to avoid caps in the signal path.

To sum up a nice piece of kit, but I wonder what price it will be when it reaches the UK .... $5000 = £5000? The D1 to D2 upgrade is allegedly $1500 so does that mean the D2 will be around the $6500?

5. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Stevsky:

Long time...trust that you are doing well.

As far as the D2 is concerned I will arrange to see one at some point down the road...may be an interesting option to what I know have although I have shifted my thinking...

Preference now is for each box to do only one function...will get one box for audio processing (now using the Av192R) and one box for video processing (now using the Lumagen VisionHDP, which I must admit I am terribly found of and think, with the recent improvements to 1080i deinterlacing is terrific).

I wish I would have had this mindset long ago as I would have simply opted for the DP and not spent a lot -- and I do eman a lot -- of quid on the RGB switcher, PSM module, VSM module, HD bypass module and so on and so on...guess that this is one of life's lessons...

I will add -- for those interested -- I would take a serious luke at the Lumagen. Although it is a US designed, manufactured and software derived unit (i.e. 100% US) the bloke who runs it reminds me of Udo -- easy to get on the telephone, responds to all e-mails very rapidly, has delivered custom firmware upgrades for me, etc... truelly can not say enough!!! ANd yes... the resulting picture is tremendous!

Cheers,

Joel

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The Lumagen range is available via Gordon Fraser and probably some less well known others. I do wonder the life of all this though with Blu-ray etc and SKY HD not a million miles away.....

7. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    GrahamMG:

Could not agree with you more...there are two exceptions to your thinking...those been as follows:

1. There will always be a need for a good de-interlacer as long as 1080i is popular.

2. There will, in my view, also always be demand for the extra functionality/performance that a stand-alone product will offer over those built into DLP/LCD/LCoS displays as I doubt that any display manufacturers will develop the software to the extent that a Crystallo/DVDO/Lumagen/etc. has.

Cheers,

Jeol

8. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Joel

Jim and the others at Lumagen are really great! I was an early adopter of the Vision way back, I still have it and it still gives a brilliant picture as I'm still firmly in the analog camp with a component > RGBVH hook-up to my CRT projector: "Once you've gone Black there's no going Back..."

However, their new HDP series are really cracking, with DVI (both standards), HDMI (chooseable with or without HDCP), SDI options, 1080i > 1080p conversion in the works, RGBCs, color, gamma, gray scale and whatnot configurations... - really spectacular. But the real thing is the customer service, they're really helpful, even to the little people that still run their old gen Vision processor. :thumbsup:

Comes highly recommended. :clap:

Good luck with your hunting.

9. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bogi:

Could not agree with your more...that is why I am salivating over getting my hands on their new RadianceXD once it becomes available...should provide a cracking picture!

Joel

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    DP vs Anthem, no EQ, game over! :devil:
    As for the Lumagen, I have the Vision HDP and have been very happy with it driving my 8" CRT. Its amazingly flexible and you can alter and adjust just about every feature possible :thumbsup: When I eventually get a 9" I will be able to fully utilize its 1080p capabilities :)