AV32R-DP Tape-out.

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by rolski, Aug 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Quick question (I hope) - with TMREq enabled for my main speakers in my lounge, and Tape-out turned on, is the signal through Tape-out also equalised, or is it pure ?

Background is that I'm obviously using the equalisation in my lounge, but that I don't want it on for the speakers on my roof-terrace, as there are no room-boundary-effects outside....

Ta.

2. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am also interested in the answer and had asked the same question some time ago in here but with no response.

I suspect that the tape outputs are also Room Eq'ed, since I was told a few years back by Tag McLaren (pre-IAG days) that the tape output loop is simply a non-volume controlled version of the same main L/R outputs. Of course, this is for the non-DP version and indeed when I tested it by recording some DTS/DD material onto cassette tape, that was exactly what happened. DTS/DD main L/R sounds weird without the C and surrounds :D

When I got my DP, I wanted to know for the same reason as you, cos my DP is using the Room Eq and when I record onto cassette tape, I prefer the non-Eq'ed sound since it is for in the car listening. So far, I have switched the Eq off before recording but I suppose if I do a recording with Eq on and compare maybe I will know the answer? Hmm, assuming in the car I can hear the difference between Eq and non Eq'ed sound??? But not sure if my in car audio frequency response is flat enough to show up the differences............so a definitive answer is still most welcome!

3. muellec3

muellec3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sorry guys for jumping on this thread but I have a similar problem with my set-up:

I connected a set of PC speakers in the kitchen to the tape out of my DP in the living room. When listening to multi channel material and also TV with ProLogic decoding I now completely miss out any information on the center channel thru the remote speakers in the kitchen... This kind of annoys me...

Now I wondered if somebody in this community has any proposal how to get the DP to output a "natural" or "downmixed" signal on it's tape out?
    :lease:
    Any suggestions are appreciated
    Chris

4. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Buy the Dolby Headphone option?

5. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Which would help because....?

6. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I remember from the old TMA forum people complaining that there was no Tape Out from digital sources, so they modified the design so that the L+R DACs output is fed to the Tape Out when playing digital sources. If you want to use another pair of speakers somewhere else in the house then use the Zone 2, it's in the manual.

7. muellec3

muellec3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Liam for this suggestion - but my DP is a 5.1 model - so I do not really have an output left for the 2nd zone...

Thanks Ettepet - I will investigate the Dolby Headphone thing

Chris

8. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    Muellec, all you need to do to fix this is to set the surround mode to STEREO (you can do this with all sources) and then a downmixed signal will be output via the TAPE outputs.

I use this when making movie quote quizzes for a mate...

9. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Chris, if I recall correctly you can use 'T' splitters on the output of the L+R, setup Zone2 to use them and when you select Zone2 (shift+Vol+/-) the DP tells the Zone1 amps to turn off, of course this assumes that you are using 100x5R/250x3R/250MR's.

10. muellec3

muellec3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Liam and lovegroova for your views on this but
    1. I prefer the 2nd zone to be on the tape output because I want to set the volume in the kitchen individually - that's why I use the tape output for this duty. Furthermore I do always let the main system running as the sound is so much better on the AV32R DP / 100x5R compared to the lousy computer speakers in the kitchen...
    2. Setting back the surround mode to stereo certainly cures the problem - but I then would have to set it back to PLII or DD when coming back to the living room - that is exactly the thing I want to avoid and set the tape out to always put out a downmixed signal.
    I now read thru the manual again and I think also the Dolby Headphone option is only applicable to the Zone 2 outputs - somehow logic because you do must have the volume control for the headphone... well I think I just will have to live with it and use the surround mode switch to allow me using both speaker set-ups at the same time!
    Again thanks for your suggestions
    Chris

Now I also anxiously await the answer to Rolski's original question - and sorry again for hijacking the thread!

11. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,583
    I sent my AV32 back a few years ago to TAG, because the tape output (on either dig or analogue sources, but not both - cant remember which) was unbalanced. Proven on PC captures and Mini-disc recording.

They could not replicate the problem at first as they took off my settings, then after many chats, we realised it was the TMREQ settings being output for recording. A few of their staff were actually surprised by this, but it was confirmed that the way it works would cause this.

12. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    it is not only tmreq-ed but also processed.
    that's why it is best to use direct with tmreq off if using tape out on 5.1 unit.

another workaround would be to assign no tmreq to second zone and switch to second zone when using tape out.

13. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So it sounds like what I want to do is not possible :-
    Listen in my lounge to Direct + TMREq, and simultaneously have Direct minus TMREq outside....

14. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    well, you can always go 7.1 :spam: