1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32R DP broken?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by cj, Jan 22, 2005.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    It started happening again today - and I'm pretty positive it's not heat related as it's rather cool in my room at the moment, and the unit doesn't feel hot to touch.

My DP keeps losing it's display and I can hear the mute realy click every time it does. It goes off-on-off-on-off quite randomly, and sometimes quite rapidly. The display disappears, but the power light is still on (and bright, so it's not going into standby). None of the other devices on the bus turn off, and I don't lose my picture - just the sound. If I'm displaying the menu it stays, so it's just showing the pass-through. It doesn't respond to any commands from the remote when it's off. I then switched off with the switch, waited a minute, then powered it up again. Nothing for about 3 minutes, then I get the self-test message, then bursts into life. Then off-on-off-on-off-on :(

Any ideas? I've got a whole bunch of people coming down for a film weekend in a couple weeks - help!!!

2. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does sound a little broken to me... I assume you've tried a master reset? Other than that it's a trip to IAG :(

I'm still waiting for one to be returned. Sent it in mid October to be upgraded to DP, got it back end of November, was obviously broken when I unpacked it but it did work for a whole week before packing up completely! - Still in for repair now and no one knows when it will even be looked at let alone returned to me. Very poor..... I hope a master reset cures it for you :thumbsup:

3. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hmmm a further development - I have all my equipment plugged in via a Belkin Pure AV surge protector, whic I've just read is also a main conditioner. I took my AV32 out and plugged it straight in the wall - I've now had it on for the last 12 hours and the problem seems to have gone away....

Is this just conincidence, or could this conditioner be the cause?

4. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Christ CJ i hope so for your sanity :D

You have had too many problems for my liking :blush:

:lease: let it be the case that the belkins at fault

I also have the same belkin mains conditioner so now you got me :confused:

5. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I hope for you it was Belkin, but I clearly doubt.

On the other hand, from my experience, power conditioners from Belkin can make huge problems and are IMHO the biggest crap you might find in the stores. It is a bit off topic maybe but we almost killed ourselves few times because of Belkin conditioners. Namely ON/OFF Switch on most of their units cuts only the phase, not both wires. And in mainland europe you can turn the plug both ways. If you turn the plug "wrong" (and you have 50% chance to do it) you still can have 220V on the unit even if the switch is set to OFF.

6. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    My DP is still behaving OK and has been on the whole weekend.

Any idea what could cause it to switch its display/sound on and off like it was doing, with regards to the power input?

7. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, my wildest speculation would be that the AC voltage was to low to keep all the DC rails alive, hence some components were already dropping out. It most likely the OP amps first, hence the CPU was still running. This is of course a speculation.

8. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks Udo,

I'm a bit wary of the electrics in my house - it's 200 years old (although I hope the electric aren't quite that old :)) . I've had some problems before with the electrics which make me a bit suspicious - maybe coupled with the Belkin (what does it do exactly??) the input voltage is borderline sometimes.

Colin

9. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Oops - posted twice some how :blush: