1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Av32r Dp -> Av192r

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by cj, Dec 30, 2003.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    This will cost £2195.00 to upgrade (AV32R Dual Processor + 5.1 bypass, 7.1 EX, PLIIx) to the AV192R starter kit. I've read all I can, but have (wrongly?) concluded that I'd end up with a couple more inputs and a bigger chassis - is there something I'm missing here?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You certainly end up with a larger chassis and a number of extra video inputs/outputs,but you're also paying for upgraded power supplies,and the ability to expand and configure it further in the further.....I'd certainly agree though that it's a big price hike,and not one that I'd be willing to pay over the AV32R/DP that you already have.

Mine's just one of the ordinary single processor models,that I'll have upgraded next yr(taxman permitting!)and I'll not be going to an AV192R....I just don't need that,or would want to fork out that much for the relative gains.

3. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As been said, you pay for some extra inputs and the ability to handle future upgrades, among other things.

However, as I've understood, soundwise they're basically the same. And a lot of us are fans of the slim design. Thus for me personally I went for the DP upgrade. So today I have a fully spec'd unit and it sounds beoootiful!

Now, what we old users hope for is that it'll be possible to accomodate HDMI (v2) in the slim design in the future...

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    With respect to your last point....the last time I sopke with Tag and our local Tag dealers,the view on that was that HDMI or any form of encrypted digital link(i.e. similar to either Firewire or i-Link) was extremely unlikely,especially in the light of Tag's recent shakeup.

5. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be big surprise if they manage to survive this year.
    (I hope they will)

Wish you all happy new 2004
    Pedro

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think that things are that bad at Tag now.

7. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Yeah I have to agree that I prefer the slim design also. The upgrade potential is what you're paying for, although with the cost of some of the more interesting upgrades (e.g. Video Scaler and DVI switcher), I would have thought they'd thrown in the new chassis for a little less.

8. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, Christmas, New Year etc, perfect time for whishes... :)

Apart from the HDMI (2) input I have another wish for Tag 2004

A universal player in the FLR chassi that plays DVD-A, SACD, VCD, SVCD, XVID, JPEG, MP3, DVDR, RW +-, supports AOD (skip Blue Ray, we want 1080p Now!) has HDMI (2) output, totally unnoticeable layer change... Anything else?

Now that would put Tag back in to pole position! :clap:

Cheers

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    A DVD player with those features would put any manufacturer in to pole position.

10. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would be the point of an ultra high-end player which has the capability to decode low-end formats like VCD, xVid or MP3? Surely any cheap universal player would do these formats justice, without incurring the development costs that it would take to add these to a revised version of Tag's DVD player. HDMI v2 would be nice, plus hi-def capability if the format is ever agreed on, but for all the new high-compression, low-quality formats I can simply add another box to my AV cupboard.

Regards

Rob

11. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, at the moment VCD is supported by the Tag player. Thing is, I just want one box that does it all. HDMI v2 with an upgraded interface to the AV32R DP is for the TMREQ issue. Would be astonishing to use with SACD and DVD-A material.

The lack of a SACD and DVD-A Tag player made me get a Pioneer 757ai. I know it doesn't play CD as Tag, but more or less any other format I throw at it (well, with some exceptions).

I know CD can sound just as good, but I just want 1 box as there are more and more boxes with players for DVD, VCR, DigiTV, Tuner, Video Scaler, Amps, Processor etc.

I believe that if Tag had jumped on the train (like Lexicon, Meridian, Krell and Linn have) they'd be in the front again.

The AV32 DP is an astonishing product. The DVD players were/are astonishing for the majority of software available. But Tag isn't a main stream brand name and IMHO should've carved out its niche as they have the know-how to produce outstanding products.

Cheers

12. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I fully agree with you bogi.

tag should perhaps give us some clues to where they are going with hdmi v2 on the av 32r be it dual or single sharc version.If they are no longer going to do any more hardware upgrades then tell us.Or are we going to have to wait for 6-12 months till the dust settles.

As with the DVD32r are we ever going to see any more updates or is the dvd192r dropped.

Lets make it clear i am not slagging tag it is just we have been looked after toooo well and now the quiteness is a bit unnerving..

Ps has the udo rumour been confirmed yet:confused:

13. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think if they intend to compete effectively in the US, a universal player has to be in the offing.

Alas my personal view is that Tag priced themselves out of their market. A bit like Audi.

I have no knowledge on the Sales figures for the 192, however I doubt that it is anything remotely respectable. Charging £10k+ for processor puts Tag in a different league and makes it sound overpriced compared to the Theta's, Lexicon, Krells, Byrstons which can be had for much cheaper stateside. In particular for a relative new comer.

I think the effectiveness of the Tag brand in the Hifi arena was overratted.

As a pround owner of both an AV32R and DVD32R, I know why I bought those items, primarily because they sounded almost as good as the premium brands but with a better price.

However asking anything above £8k+ for a AV192 removes the price advantage, and if I am going to be paying that much, I might as well be looking at Ayre, which is in a different league.

Finally Tag's pig headness at times with regards to its product development strategy for example their scaler being embedded into the AV192 in my view has also contributed to its problems. I doubt if they have had any meaning full sales figures of this new scaler.

A real sad state of affairs, a dramatic shift from a company who listens to one that failed to. all of the 3 main Hifi dealers I use no longer carry Tag.

Now I am in a quandry, do I upgrade or sell my kit and go elsewhere. Going by the prices they are wanting for upgrades, might be cheaper in the long run to cut my losses. Anyones else having this dilema??

14. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Bogi , is there something you know and we do not?

15. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Well I'd like a scaler, but £2200 for the conversion to AV192, plus another £5k odd to add the VSM module is a lot to ask IMO. I'm not saying it's not worth the money, but there are a lot of £2k-£4k (or less) scalers around at the moment (or will be shortly).

16. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Miron, if memory serves me right I think our Far East Tag friend Peter had some queries about this and it turned out that for a fee it was possible to enable the VCD feature. However as I don't own a Tag player for above reasons I never did check into this more thoroughly. However, Helpdesk should be able to answer that.

Cheers

17. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the answer was more that it may be possible, but if it was done as an option the fee would be large since it would have to cover any extra software development for a small group of customers. There's no "Option code" option in the DVD32 menus like there is in the AV32/192.

18. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I remember the VCD discussion and it was said that it was possible but would have a high price so they didn't offer it has an option and I think they were right.