1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32R 'Direct' Off-Centre Sound

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by AllanG, Jan 6, 2005.

1. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help solve the following problem I am experiencing with my AV32R SP, running 3.85 software, (or whichever is the latest):-

When using 'Direct' or 'Direct+Sub' modes for CD's, the soundstage is placed slightly to the right off-centre, but when I switch to TMS or Pro-Logic II Music, the soundstage is dead centre, where is should be!

I have tried the following, without success:-

1. Recalibrated all speaker distances and dB levels.
    2. Carried out full Master Reset.

I hope someone has a solution, as I prefer to listen to my CD's using 'Direct' mode, but the off-centre sound is ruining the pleasure, so I have to resort to TMS.

Many thanks in advance.

Allan Greenland

2. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Allan,

Sounds to me like the room / speaker positioning is playing with you (assuming the speakers are ok). This would explain the fact if you use fronts + centre and surround, the acoustic image returns. Normally the L&R speakers are not processed with TMS. In my experience an acoustic image is very depending on these things, and can be ruined when moving a speaker a few cm. The same goes for furniture.

If you check speaker levels, are L&R the same?

3. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Teejoo,

Thanks for the advice.

The L&R levels are slightly different, (can't remeber exact levels from memory), because R speaker is slightly closer than the L.........room shape, as usual! So, I don't know if this will have an effect?

Brgds,

Allan

4. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Speaker distance has a surprisingly large effect on where the center image is perceived, more so than a slight level difference. In Direct mode all processing is bypassed so there is no compensation delay for the difference in speaker distance. I thought Direct+Sub did use the distance settings but I could be wrong. You could use the TM Surround mode and mute the center and surround channels on your amp (easy on a 100x5R), TMS doesn't alter the left and right channels.

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Chris.

I think you are right.... I am sure that direct+sub does time align though, where is Steve when you need him eh?

6. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On holiday watching beer evaporate!

OK, the AV32SP does not do time alignment when in direct mode, but should do on direct+sub as the sub channel needs it.

The AV32DP and AV192R works on revised rules (v4.xx codebase) and time alignment is applied in all modes including the direct modes. Time alignment is not applied for zone 2 though as we assume that is a different set of speakers.

Time alignment will shift the sweet-spot of the stereo image, so if it was off centre in the first place due to speaker and seating positioning then the time alignment will shift it back into position, as our Dutch friend pointed out.

7. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Steve,

Watching beer evaporate........you lucky b.......! Here in Southampton, it's more like watching your beer filling-up, as it's pi..ing down that much!!

Anyway, thanks for your comments, but do you have any suggestions when the time alignment doesn't appear to be working on my Direct+sub setting?

Brgds,

Allan

8. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    To test if Direct+Sub is working go into the speaker settings when in direct+sub and increase the distance of the left speaker to say 15metres and see if it makes any difference. The try again with TMS... this should then prove if it's working or not.