AV32R DAB upgrade shocker

Inotrope

I was very keen to upgrade my 32DP to DAB, and given that I was going to reuse the DAB module from my DPA32R, I had anticipated it not being particularly expensive, as I had (naively) assumed that the DAB board made up the bulk of the £799.

I was quoted £703 for the upgrade, reusing my DPA board (which is the same as the AV32R one of course!

£703!!
Double checked with the helpdesk too!

I'll be sticking to using the radio via $ky+ for now (once I have picked my jaw up off the floor!

AMCross

mark

are you sure its the same ?

i swopped my dab board from my AV32R 96 dacs to my newer AV32R BP 192 very easily

Inotrope

Yes it is the same, as confirmed with the Helpdesk,

In an earlier post on a similar topic, Stevesky told me this:

"It's not quite as easy as unplugging it from one and into another. Firstly you need the interface card that the DAB module plugs in to. Secondly, you will need a new aerial cable as the aerial lead from the DPA will be too short. You'll also need a set of pillars to mount the interface card on and also need to solder a cable in that routes the digital audio into the AV32R.

Once you have all the parts it's not a complex job, but one that's really more destined for a competent dealer to do."

So it doesn't sound like either parts OR labour could possibly amount to £703!!

What was even more suprising was that the DAB board only made up £97 of the total, whereas if you purchase the board for the DPA it is £499 ALONE!!

Has there been a miscommunication here, or is the pricing stratergy somewhat strange!??

AMCross

mark

i remember that thread now

what a mess that means £703 / labour at £55.00 per hour

12.78 hours of work :thumbsdow

Bloody long way for a short cut

Inotrope

Chuffing hell!

Is that what they charge for labour?!?!?!
I get a fraction that for performing a general anaesthetic!

I'm sooooo in the wrong job....

AMCross

£55 per hour for work at IAG

my vauxhall garage charges £60:eek:

alexs2

AMCross said:
£55 per hour for work at IAG

my vauxhall garage charges £60:eek:

My local Audi dealer charges £75/hr on average....I dont think that £55/hr is actually any more outrageous than car servicing,and probably involves a great deal more care,judging by some of the things I've seen from previous car dealers.

Inotrope

Back to the original thread.....:D

Anyone any idea why it should be so expensive, and why the actual DAB board contributes so little to the total price?

AMCross

mark

do you have a picture of your dab board in question

Inotrope

Can't post a pic at the mo - the joys of work and all (and not at £75 an hour!).

It is the same Bosch as the one in the T32R, illustrated on page 2 of the T32R leaflet.

AMCross

Mark

i think someone at IAG has their lines crossed

That unit in the T32R with the bosch name is obviously the heart of the dab unit mounted onto a circuit board but in a AV32R the heart is the same but the circuit board looks different

So i think they have quoted you to take the bosch unit off your board and transplant onto a AV323R dab module circuit board

I maybe wrong but the pictures dont add up

Inotrope

Thats what I thought,

I as stevesky stated Ijust need an interface board, a couple of plastic spacers, and aerial wire and a couple of wires soldered on.

Surely the DAB board (which I have!) does all the clever stuff?!!

Could someone post a pic of their AV32R DP with the DAB board insitu so I can begin to comprehend why it is £703 to fit?!!

Is there any ex-Tag who can shed some light on all of this?

Thanks in advance mark!

Inotrope

Ideas anyone?

Please?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom