1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32R bp-192+Rotel 1075 - Which CD Player ????

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Mr THX, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Evening Guys

I'm looking to partner up my processor / amp (see title) with a suitable CD player, was just wondering if the Dac's in the Tag are up to me just purchasing a CD transport and going digital straight into the processor. :confused:

Thoughts of a Meridian transport or something on the same lines spring's to mind. Proac 1.5 Response speakers complete the circle so all I need now is some ideas for 2 channel play back for me to consider and then demo.....................

2. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Dac's are absolutely amazing. In my opinion you should invest in a good transport.

3. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    How much are you looking to spend?

FWIW I use a Densen B400XS (£2.5k) via the bypass and I rekon it sounds better (different) than my DV32R using the 192 DACS.

4. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    lovegroova
    After just purchasing the processor / amp combo funds allow me to spend between £500/£750. That why I was thinking if I concentrated that money on a decent transport and let the tag do the D/A conversion, thinking I'd get a decent quality sound from it.

On the Densen you've got (Very nice) at that price :eek: I think I too would trust it to do the D/A conv and route it through bypass on the processor.

Thanks for the input so far..................anymore ??

5. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How about one of the Theta transports 2nd hand?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd like to second marck's idea,if you're looking for the best possible CD based input,and suggest either a used Theta(some of which can be found at very decent prices)or the Meridians you already mentioned.
    I use either a Linn CD player as a transport,or the digital out from a UVEM HCPC into a Perpetual Technologies P1A upsampler/interpolator before running that into my AV32R's dacs with very good results....not as good as the P1A/P3A combination,but close enough for convenience.

7. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I'd like to 3rd Marck's idea. For your budget, a good quality transport allied to the AV32's DACs will sound fantastic, much better than a dedicated CDP.

An alternative would be a 2nd hand/ex demo Tag CD20 with the sync-link which would work very well indeed.

There is one on offer on the TAG Mclaren website for £800. www.tagmclaren.com - look under 'your 2nd hand market'.

Also a couple ex-dem at www.sevenoakssoundandvision.com

8. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Excellent - Cheers for your input guys - I have been looking around as to the availability of a good transport. (S/H one's seam few and far between)
    I have looked at 'Dittons' Meridian 602 on the hardware F/S thread but not sure how much more life I'd get out of a 10yr old transport?? Anyone had experiance of this particular model. The reviews do sounds good but should I be looking for something more up to date ??? Has technology moved us on that much in the CD Transport stakes??