1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32R auto mute problem

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by andyjayh, Dec 29, 2003.

1. andyjayh

andyjayh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone else suffered a problem with the AV32R auto mute feature getting stuck on?

Mine does this after using my X-Box through it for prolonged periods of time. I have contacted the Tag helpdesk and they have confirmed that thee is an issue with the X-Box and the AV32R's SPDIF receiver chip due to out of tolerance SPDIF transmitters on the X box. They have told me to try switching between anologue and digital inputs to try and clear it or turn it off at the front panel. I have tried both of these with no great success.

The really annoying thing is that it only seems to affect the DVD input by keeping this in a muted state where as all others including the X-Box (renamed MD i/p) are fine.

Any ideas?

2. ThomsonBill35

ThomsonBill35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my X-box and got the same answer from the helpdesk.

I now use the X box on its own using a small dac to convert to analogu and then into the AV32R this is not a good fix but works at the moment.

Bill

3. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have an X-box connected to my AV32R using a co-axial input rather than an optical input (run out of optical inputs).

The X-box is connected to the CD input via a optical to co-axial convertor.

I have been using this configuration for some time and have not experienced any auto-mute problems.

Hope this help's

cheers

gwc

4. ThomsonBill35

ThomsonBill35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no Joy.

I think I should let Tag have a look and see if they can see what is going on.

Bill

5. JohnSwindon

JohnSwindon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sort of glad its not just mine. I've just switched from using an Av30R and bought a second hand av32r.

It seems to be limited to optical digital inputs. Sometimes I can get it to remove the mute by switching between inputs and other times it requires a power cycle.

Is it possible that its something to do with v3.8 or has this issue been around a while ?

Also, are you guys using the original Tag remote ? I've been using a programmable remote and havent ruled out the possibility that my macro is sending IR commands out too quickly ?

It would be good to get it fixed though, has anyone contacted Tag on this issue ?

6. JohnSwindon

JohnSwindon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should have mentioned its not a problem limited to the XBOX. Both my XBOX and Sky Plus box exhibit this problem. The common factor is that they both connect via the Optical input.

7. JohnSwindon

JohnSwindon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted the helpdesk regarding this. Again they confirmed it is a problem and that its not limited to the Xbox.

They've apparently fixed the problem on the AV192 and the AV32R-DP but a fix for the AV32R-SP is some way off.

I interpret this to mean there will never be a fix for the AV32R-SP !

Not that its relevant, but I had an AV30R prior to the AV32R and this didnt have any problems with my Xbox.

If I seem rather too pessimistic about the fix for the AV32R, then please excuse me. The only reason I changed from the AV30R to the AV32R was because after 12 months I gave up waiting for a promised AV30R firmware update which would have given me the 100ms lip sync delay. Bitter ? Moi ?

8. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just bought my AV32r and it has an older version of the software on it, can you tell me after what length of time you get this problem and I'll watch out for it happening on my older software version.

Out of curiosity though where can I get an optical to co-axial convertor from just incase I need to get one.

cheers,
    Rich.

9. JohnSwindon

JohnSwindon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keene Electronics do the convertors as do Maplins. I think Maplins are the cheapest and the convertors are the same.

I was about to revert back to using the convertors but I've not had the auto mute problem recur for about 10 days now.

The problem always seemed to happen immediately after switching the AV32R on. My programmable remote always powers the kit up to watch TV, so it then required the user to trigger a macro to switch audio and video over to Xbox or Sat. So I did wonder if I was issuing the macro commands too quickly. To this end I changed the sequence of the IR commands and introduced a slight delay.

To complicate the issue, I transmit the Sat or Xbox device switch codes twice to overcome the problem of the RC5 toggle codes. Originally I issued the normal code followed by the toggle code.

So to clarify, since making the changes to the remote IR commands and sequence and timing, I've not had the problem occur. Previously it would happen atleast once every 2-3 days. This could of course just be a coincidence. Only time will tell.