1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV32R and CD replay?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by UrbanT, Feb 8, 2003.

1. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    As a new owner of a Tag, I have a question re CD replay.

Source equipment is Tosh 900e and Cyrus CD7. Normally I would connect the Tosh via Coaxial and the CD7 through interconnects.

My question is, would music generally sound better being fed from the CD7 via digital into the Tag, or using interconnects through the 5.1 bypass in stereo mode. I have read reviews saying the Tag upsamples digital music but had assumed a true analogue bypass was the holy grail for CD replay.

I will try them both but any opinions?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    As far as I am aware,the Tag does not upsample.

The best way is to try the CD7,a good CD player,btw,via both digital and analogue bypass inputs and see which sounds the best to your ears.

I would expect the DACs in the Tag to be superior to the CD7 if it's one of the 192 models.

I use a Perpetual Technologies upsampler/interpolator between my Linn CD and Tag AV32R,and this does produce very good results,but it's an expensive option,in my case a leftover from when I was running a stereo only system. :cool:

3. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    I have recently been toying with the idea of getting a dedicated CDP and have had the loan of a Densen B400 and I tested it via both the analogue bypass and digital inputs of the Tag. I felt that the sound was better using the bypass.

However, when doing this test with my Rotel DVD player, the sound was better using the digital link

What this illustrates is that it depends very much on the CDP/transport in question, try it with both and use the one you prefer, at this kind of quality level it's more a matter of personal taste than anything else.

You could also try one of the 'standard' analogue inputs of the Tag, where the sound is ADCed then DACed rather than just bypassed.

The holy grail for CD replay 'should' be the bypass but it may not be, suck it and see...