Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AV192R: Speakers *and* Headphones?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by erehm, Sep 17, 2004.

1. erehm

erehm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an AV192R with VSM2048. I am having people over to my home tonight, one of whom is very hard of hearing. (The rest of us hear fine.)

Is there a way to run the headphones and 7.1 at the same time, e.g., just run the headphones like a simultaneous Zone 2? I don't care if the headphones are stereo only or Dolby Headphone-enabled...

/eric
    near seattle, wa, usa

2. erehm

erehm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm OK for now...I'm using the AV192R audio tape out into an old Sennheiser DSP Pro headphone surround processor (which I forgot I had) into a old NAD stereo amp to drive the Sennheiser headphones. (The DSP Pro output was only a bit too loud for me, hence the additional amp.)

So, it's now plenty loud for my hard-of-hearing friend, plus he gets 5.0 surround sound. :clap:

We're all sea kayakers and we're watching "Master and Commander".

3. erehm

erehm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that was a dismal failure. Unfortunately, I only checked out the setup with the (stereo) FM tuner and the opening (non-dialogue) scenes of Master and Commander (Dolby Digital 5.1).

The AV192R "tape out" is not a 2.0 down-mix of a Dolby Digital 5.1 source. Rather, it's simply a pass-through of the L/R components of the 5.1 source. So, my hard of hearing friend got absolutely great sound, but no dialogue (since it's mostly directed to the center speaker in most 5.1 mixes).

Hmmm....wouldn't it be nice to
    a) be able to use the main and zone 2 at the same time, and
    b) have a true 2.0 down-mix coming out the analogue tape out?

There are two high-powered DSPs in there....

4. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thats something we all miss about TAG - their willingness and ability to sort out things like this as if it was not a problem for them.

We had it good - real good.

Sigh...

Interested to hear your views on the VSM2048.