AV192R - how does it compare against modern AV amps/DACs

Apollo72

I've an AV192R but wondering whether it is time to change for something newer or carry on using it (but it will need some issues fixing)

Not sure how it compares with say an Anthem MRX, Arcam's AVR range or even the higher end Denon and Onkyo of this world, i.e. for sky and PS3. I use a cambridge 751bd blu ray for the hd sound and use the bypass, but not sure if the anthem, onkyo etc could do this better than onboard the blu ray.

Also what the quality of the DACs onboard compared to modern dacs like Arcam's irdac, Audiolab's M-DAC, rega's DAC etc.

The main problems I have with my AV192R is the odd clicking and popping whilst listening to CD, occassionally on Sky (when fast forwarding through ads it happens) and also when I use TMREQ!

Also the tag sync doesn't work between my DVD32R.

So I'm in a bit of a quandary as to whether to sort the faults out and keep it, or try something more modern.

orange55

Hi

I did some listening last year which you may find useful here:

Tag listening session | AVForums

Since then I have had the op amps upgraded by Kevin at audio cellar and that made a massive difference and I am keeping the av32 now.

The other big difference was getting the room EQ tuned to my room. This made such a big difference that I stopped using the bypass for the bluray and use the coax input to take advantage of the room EQ as I get much better response than without the EQ.

I recommend spending time on the room EQ as it can take the sound to a whole new level.

Here is a post in my room EQ exploits.

Hard Knee House Curve … The Results! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Regarding the popping that sounds like it could be the power supply which Kevin at audio cellar can fix. He did my av32 and it's good for another 10 years in his view.

Hope that helps in some way.

Apollo72

thanks that is really helpful.

Not sure which component is causing the tag sync error, hopefully if I get the AV192R serviced this will sort out both problems.

I have manually set up TMREQ as best as I can, but I've downloaded the tag software that was put up on here a couple of weeks ago, so will give a that a try to see if I can improve it.

IMO, the cambridge blu ray player decoding HD sound through bypass of the AV192R sounds better than the AV192R using vanilla DD/DTS even with room EQ.

But SKy and PS3 sound the best I have ever heard through any AV amp/processor I've had before.

Barry.NI

thanks that is really helpful.

Not sure which component is causing the tag sync error, hopefully if I get the AV192R serviced this will sort out both problems.

I have manually set up TMREQ as best as I can, but I've downloaded the tag software that was put up on here a couple of weeks ago, so will give a that a try to see if I can improve it.

IMO, the cambridge blu ray player decoding HD sound through bypass of the AV192R sounds better than the AV192R using vanilla DD/DTS even with room EQ.

But SKy and PS3 sound the best I have ever heard through any AV amp/processor I've had before.
I get my AV192R back from IAG on Monday, so will give it a good test. I intend using 5.1 bypass from my Oppo 105 through the AV192R, and the SBR and SBL directly into the amp for blue ray discs, and PL 11 movie for SKY. And Dolby digital for the DVD 32r for SD discs. I had the TMREQ set up by a Tag employee, but I have recently tended to switch it off, as my room has changed a lot since then!
How do you know that the Sync is not working, do you get a message Sync not connected, RU using digital or analogue I/C for the Sync ? I am hard pressed to find anything else to replace the Tag, I have learnt to my cost the issues with discontinued Arcams, and I am reluctant to buy the later models, on the basis that a Company that has produced so many duff products in the past, is not worth patronising. I have not previously noticed the popping fault on the Tag, but I do remember there is something in the set up menu, that refers to this, but that eliminating it can result in inferior sound. I have most of the notes from when the AV192 first came out, and various comments from the Tag helpdesk, but it does not seem to have been an issue.

Apollo72

Yes, I get an error on the AV192R re the sync. I ran this by Steve Hughes, sending him pics of how I set it up. I've set it up all correctly - so there is a fault unfortunately.

I have considered getting a Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer or Anthem AV amp for doing all decoding and then getting a quality pre-amp (wonder how an Audiolab 8000Q would compare) and modern DAC like the Rega or Arcam irdac.

Or the Audiolab 8200AP might be an option

deaf cat

Can you borrow one or two of the DAC's your talking about from your local Stereo shop and then have a good old listen at home and see what you like best?
I would hazzard a guess that you may need to look at a slightly larger budget DAC to improve upon your AV192r, especially after a full service.
I seem to recall The Audio Cellar may also be able to upgrade the power supply in your unit in some way, to improve it's performance even more...

Bogi

Hi

I seem to recall I had a similar issue on my AV32R DP a few years back. All of a sudden I started to get the odd pop from my speakers. So what I did was to make a backup of my settings, and then did a full reset of the TAG's software. Then I uploaded my settings. And no more issues. And haven't had any since.

So it may be that over time the code controlling the processor could get a tad bit corrupted. Just like on an old computer, where it may be good to reset the software from time time.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers

karlknurr

And does it helps?

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom