• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV192R Front Panel RS232 Cable

jonathanh

I've just bought a AV192R but it doesn't have the front panel RS232 cable.

It does have a Tagtronic Bus Programming cable but I'd like to get a cable that works through the front panel. I appreciate that the programming cable contains hardware to coverted from RS232 to RS485 but I'm assuming that the AV192R RS232 cable was just a passive link. As they don't seem to be readily available would it be easy to make one up?

Does anyone know the type of plug that was used and the RS232 cable connections?

:lease:

Miron

I've just bought a AV192R but it doesn't have the front panel RS232 cable.

It does have a Tagtronic Bus Programming cable but I'd like to get a cable that works through the front panel. I appreciate that the programming cable contains hardware to coverted from RS232 to RS485 but I'm assuming that the AV192R RS232 cable was just a passive link. As they don't seem to be readily available would it be easy to make one up?

Does anyone know the type of plug that was used and the RS232 cable connections?

hi, as much as I remember (I do not own AV192R) all you need is simple RS232 serial cable for the front connector. this was big step forward from absurd tagtronic cable we had to buy for AV32R

jonathanh

Hi Miron - Thanks for the feed back.

The plug into the AV192R is a looks like a jack plug so I would like to understand the type of plug and how the RS232 wires are connected.

Dores anyone out there know or does anyone have the cable?

:lease::lease:

Jonathan

Kevinc

As they don't seem to be readily available would it be easy to make one up?

I think we're missing your exact problem. I don't have the 192 either, but as Miron says, my understanding is it's just a regular RS232 cable, so you either need Serial RS232 Null Modem Cable Female to Female DB9 5ft | eBay or 5FT 1.4M RS232 DB9 Male To Female Extension Cable PC | eBay (cost about $3 shipped each), depending on whether the connection on the front of the AV192R is male or female... I'm guessing however that your bigger problem is at the PC end, given the dearth of PCs with RS232 on them, and that what you are really looking for is something to go from a USB to the RS232 on the TAG - is that correct?

Miron

Hi Miron - Thanks for the feed back.

The plug into the AV192R is a looks like a jack plug so I would like to understand the type of plug and how the RS232 wires are connected.

Dores anyone out there know or does anyone have the cable?

:lease::lease:

Jonathan

Oh , sorry Jonathan, I forgot that there is only jack connection on the front, and not 9 pin port.

This cable was normally delivered with the processor, I am sure some of ex-TAG guys can give you pin assignment, it may be the best to drop them a PM

I also attached the page from the manual with ref. to this, but I guess you have that one.

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 204

jonathanh

Hi Steve,

Thats more like it. :clap:

I'm fairly new to this stuff. Do you know if you just wire the RD, TD and GND or would there multiple wirings (RD + RDS) etc.

As you metion if would be good if someone could do a continuity check.

Thank you

Jonathan

sijones

Hi Steve,

Thats more like it. :clap:

I'm fairly new to this stuff. Do you know if you just wire the RD, TD and GND or would there multiple wirings (RD + RDS) etc.

As you metion if would be good if someone could do a continuity check.

Thank you

Jonathan

Hi again,

You only need to wire TD, RD and GND.

I'm sure GND on the 3.5mm plug will be as shown in the link I posted. So you could easily use trial and error for the other two. i.e. Just swap them around if it doesn't work.

Kind regards,

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom