1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV192R action switches

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by lenny, Sep 20, 2004.

1. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good morning,

I'm wrestling to drive the Theta Dreadnought via the AV192R switches (I'm using the A switch). The Theta needs a 5 to 12 V DC pulse in order to switch its state. Should I insert a battery or something in series with the AV192R switch or are the switches providing a kind of DC voltage? If the AV192R is providing a DV voltage, which is the value of such a voltage?

Have some of you any experience on that matter? My dream is to make the Theta to switch on as soon I switch on the AV192R (Graham I know you are going to say that I should have bought a Tag power amplifier... but the 250s are too expensive to me ;) )

Thank you in advance of your suggestions.

Regards, Leo.

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The AV192R, and for that matter the AV32R7.1DP, action switches are exactly that "switches" no volts at all just contacts that open and close. You need to get your volts via a supply and then the actions swicthes are happy to switch it on or off....I should add that switching mains via these contacts would be a very very very stupid thing to do.....use a relay should you need to.!

3. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Graham, before making any circuit I'll check it with competent folks. Not all the people around are "experts" in electronic circuits.

regards.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Lenny.
    It is a lot of money to watch go up in smoke if your not entirely happy with the wiring setup ;) It is entirely possible to make up a small box to do this however using low voltage to pulse the amp into life. Consult a friendly CEDIA dealer or take up electronics as an evening class :) Of course a 250x3R is also an option ;)
    In short if your not entirely confident of your electronic ability get someone to do it for you as being told what to do is one thing, doing it properly is quite another.

5. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Lenny,

If you have the RS232 IR/TX controller in your AV192R and also the RS232 option in your Theta Dreadnought (this can be added at your Theta dealer) then you could take it out of standby via RS232. It would also allow you to control other features of the amplifier.

Regards,

Steve

6. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Steve,

unfortunatelly I do not have the RS232 option on the Theta. Nevertheless I think it is the best option indeed I'm going to ask for the price of the option to the Theta dealer.

Regards,

Lenny

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep, if in doubt do the bleeding obvious! Now why didn't I think of that :suicide:
    Is the Theta IR controlled?

8. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good morning Graham,

No the Theta is not IR controlled. It is just a bunch of more than 45kg of pure power. It can be controlled either via DC triggers (two of them: switch on/off; stereo or multichannel mode) or via RS232 (and I need to check for price and compatibility with the AV192R RS232 option).

Have a nice day.

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I assume you have the RS232/IR TX option in the AV192r, if so Steve is right it will be nice to use that and control the Theta. If you don't have the option fitted then I'd do some sums as the original bodge box won't cost that much.

10. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Graham you got it, I've the RS232/IR TX option on my AV192R (actualy the unit has all the options but the VSM...). So I'll ask the price for the RS232 board for the Theta and evaluate the pro/cons of the two solutions (buy a Theta RS232 and try to control a full bunch of other things or buy a little switching box with a DC pulse supply actionated by my switch through a relay).

11. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Lenny,

I saw a really useful little switching box at CEDIA, in June at Birmingham. It was being used with an AMX controller, but would work equally well with the TAG action switches. The name of the box was the MARATA MCU 300, and is available from Bob Wheeler at Marata, on 01923 495595. I believe it had four or five 12V relays with mains 240V contacts. I shall certainly get one, when I have decided whether to go AMX or Phillips Multi controllers.

12. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good tip Barry thanks a lot :smashin: I'm sure it is going to cost a lot less than a Theta RS232 board. Now I've to verify if it can work as a toggle because the Theta responds to 12V pulses and not to 12V level (AAAARRGGGh! :suicide: )

Regars
    Lenny.

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Can't you set one of the action switches to pulse anyway? Now where's that AV192R manual when you need it......

14. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have used a momentary pulse to control my electric curtains. You have to create a '31 xxx' macro which turns on the required action switch and then waits a short while (I used 100ms) before turning the action switch off.

Regards,

Steve

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    So good he said it twice, glad my memory wasn't as bad as I thought it was:)