1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

av192 amp probs

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by johnson, May 30, 2005.

1. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am having some problems with my recently purchased av192.(until now, I thought they were just setup issues)

If I have been watching a dvd with DD surround and then switch to SKY which I have as direct, my 100*5 has no sound.
    I have a 250*3 bi-amping the bottom of my speakers and the 100*5 the tops.The 250 still has an output.
    The av is connected to the two amps with Nordost 1 to 2 interconnects and have been used for the past two years with my av32r.
    If I remove th av192 from the mains then power back up the problem goes away.
    No mute signs can be seen.
    My amps are still on software 3.75 which I'm going to chnage when I borrow a lead.
    The av192 is 4.08.1.

Does anyone know if this is a software issue which could be cleared up with the latest versions?
    It might be worth pointing out that this problem doesn't happen everytime.

Best regards
    Simon

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Simon,

Definately upgrade the software in your AV192R, that is a pre-historic version and isn't as stable as the final v4.31.

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for replying Steve.
    I'll upgrade as soon as I can find an earlier version than 4.31.
    I don't have PL11x Installed yet and I'm not sure if I can install 4.31 before PL11x.
    At Present my software doesn't even have the option to upgrade to PL11x.
    Regards
    Simon

4. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Steve denied having done anything fancy with the introduction of IIx but I thought it was a delightful inprovement that was actually worth the money I shelled out for it - even though I'm only using 5.1 (well, OK, 5.2).

So... I wouldn't let the lack of 7.1 in your system put you off for a minute.

5. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Edward
    I think maybe you missunderstood.
    My system is 7.1.The only sound formats I use are Direct,DD and DTS.

On the IAG website it states version 4.31 wont work unless you have PL11x.(and to ask for an earlier version, I have done this and await a reply)

My software version doesn't have the option to upgrade to PL11x.

I was looking for a later version than the one I have so I can upgrade to PL11x, then to 4.31
    Regards
    Simon

6. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    You were right, I didn’t understand, Simon. I thought you were using a 5*100, i.e. 5 channels rather than 7 and that the 3*250s were only driving the lower frequency drivers in the front 3 of them. I couldn’t see what was driving the rears. It sounds like a system that will be quite amazing when you get it sorted.

Did your AV192R come with a little cable that allows you to upgrade through the front panel or do you have to buy one of those pricey upgrade cables? If it is the latter, you're probably right about borrowing rather than buying.

I'd be interested in your views on PL IIx Movie and Music when you upgrade.

7. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Edward,

PL11x was not a free option, I believe it was approximately £98.00, to get the code to unlock the software already installed, a lot of this cost was towards the licence fee. The main advantage was to split the sound between the surround back speakers. This does mean that the option of a height channel, whilst still there requires juggling the wiring, to put the surround back pair of speakers on SBL, and the ceiling speakers on SBR. It is difficult to gauge whether PL11x is such a big advantage, I find it difficult to tell much difference, though others have extolled its virtues. I mainly listen to music on Direct.

The IAG site, used to list all the upgrades, so the version prior to 4.31 should be there. You should also have been supplied with the programming cable, assuming that your AV192R has the front flap, I did not get one with my processor, which was a display model, but I informed TAG, and they sent me one FOC.

8. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi
    I have upgraded to 4.31 including PL11x.
    The problem is still there.
    I have changed the Tagtronic menu to not control the individual modules of the 100*5 and this seems to have sorted it.
    Obviously I would like to have module control so that only the modules that are needed are on.
    I do have front panel flap and the av192 came with the lead, however I need a tagtronic upgrade lead for the two amps.
    Incedently can anyone advise on a cheap usb to serial converter?
    Regards