1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

av wasted my budget,help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by b!lly, Jun 28, 2005.

1. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so i dived in and wasted my small £500 budget on absoloute mince(should of read up first before buying it all).....thing is i still have enough time to take it all back....currently have
    Acoustic Soloutions...cd player..£59.99

Acoustic Soloutions...dab tuner..£89.99

Acoustic Soloutions...audio cd 40gb jukebox.. :rolleyes: £199.99

Sony str-de485e ......£100

and a pair of tangent avantgarde 200 floor standing spoeakers..£90

cost...£539.97 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i listen to alot of music,play alot of dvd's,ps2 and i am going to buy the new hitachi 32"lcd ld7200...so i thought buying the sony av receiver would do me good in the long run but after setting just the seperates up and having a listen it doesnt sound much better than my old mini jvc digifine seperates..
    please help

i cant take the sony back ..but all the rest i can get me money back no probs...so can anyone recomend me a good setup with my budget.it has to be all silver :D
    :lease: :lease:

2. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :eek: Oops, that is alot of cash to misappropriate! Cut your losses, your only gonna be unhappy if you hang on to it, get rid of the AS stuff and get something half decent It really all depends on what you actually want - what's going to be your main source cdp/mp3/HD "jukebox"? is it for 5.1 or Stereo?

Cambridge Audio and NAD do good entry level stuff for dedicated stereo playback. But you'll have to narrow your remit, or up your budget, if you want anything decent. I have a NADC521BEE for sale, cracking player, but seemingly not to your tastes as it's black. ;)

3. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i think a will take all the AS stuff back tommorow,was just gonna use the juke box for stereo,
    what about the sony receiver,is it ok to use this for stereo,is it a good option for me to buy a new seperate stereo amp,and a new cd player or will it be okay to just add the new cd player to the sony receiver...
    what about the speakers will i be better buying a new set.would any of these ones in the £120 bracket be better.http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MISS-M73I-BCH

4. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please help i am going to try and sort all this out tommorow.

anyone.................

6. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You can play stereo through an AV receiver no problem but if dedicated cd playback is what you want it doesn't really cut the mustard. You can add an integrated at a later date for much better sound quality and use that to drive your fronts.

See this thread for discussion http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221187

Can't really comment on any of the suggestions you've got there as i've never heard them, but from personal experience Richer sounds have messed me about so I won't be giving them any more of my cash.

Best advice is try before you buy and I would narrow your remit, looks like your trying to do everything all in one go and the cash isn't gonna stretch. I would concentrate on just a stereo set up. NAD/Cambridge Audio (i preferred the NAD)cdp & integrated driving wharfdale 9.1's would be a good use of your budget.

Good luck

D-man

p.s there are a lot of old threads on this subject which cover this familiar ground.

7. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers m8,i bought ROTEL RA-02 amp and i am going into richersounds over the weekend to purchase the nad c521 BEE cdp,only thing i cant decide on is a set of speakers to replace the tangent avantgarde 200's that cost me £90,anyone got any recomendations on a set of floor standing ones for about £100-£150.
    thanks

8. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    £150 doesn't buy you much in the way of floorstanders. I'd keep an eye out for some used Mission 773Es or 774s, Tannoy R2s or something from the Wharfedale Pacific or Evolution range.

9. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, I'll second the recommendation for mission 733 speakers - got some 733i speakers which I really like and which sound much better to my ears than most things I heard for under £100.

Jon

10. BUGANNA

BUGANNA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why do u want floorstanders ?

unless u have a BIG room, you'd get better sound from a standmount.......

however, KEF make some good value floorstanders............

avoid any unknown makes, unless you know they are good..........

incidentally, Accoustic Solutions do make good quality gear.......its not bad at all, for the money

possibly the speakers are what is letting the whole sound down

and as for the £ 200 40gb HD player ?

you couldve bought My Yamaha CDR-HD1300 Mk2 - 120gb Drive, amazing studio quality DAC etc etc for not much more than that !!!!!! and thats a £ 600 unit new !

11. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks all for the help,,i eventually went for the cambridge azur540c(cdp) and the cambridge azur540d(av) and a pair of tdl studio 10's floor standers from richer sounds(actually sounded pretty good)....all to match up with my rotel amp.

reason for floor standers as i do have a big living room and also think they merge in a bit better withg the furnishings :D

all sounding pretty good :clap:

ohh by the way the acoustic soloutions gear really does sound pretty crap(worse than my old jvc digifine midi seperates)