AV Virgin....please help!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Rich L, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Rich L

Rich L
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

So today was a good day. I went to an AV demo room to listen to a Denon AVR X4000 with the KEF T205 speakers (after reading up on this combo) and it was everything that I was expecting.....amazing sound and he projector was pretty awesomeness too, suffice to say that I will be ordering these speakers with the amp and a Denon Blu-Ray DBT1713.

So firstly I would like to know if anyone sees any potential problems with this setup. (Hope to use with an iPad as a controller for the amp and blueray)

Secondly I would like to know what speaker cable to use. I was advised to go better quality for the fronts and slightly lower quality for the rears, but generally not to scrimp on cable.

I was told rumour 2 for fronts (best option £15/m) or chord sarasen (£8/m) or carnival silver screen (£6.30/m). With spending circa £4/m for rears.

I appreciate good music and good sound (and this is probably going to be very subjective) but for my untrained ears, is it really worth spending £15/m on such good quality cable?

All replies and help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Rich

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,685
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    See post above for a suitable cable - and that would be the same advice no matter which Amp/Speakers you are using.

Unless you had a far more powerful amp and required a heavier gauge of cable the notion of a 'better' speaker cable is all marketing nonsense.

Joe

4. Rich L

Rich L
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Incredible/Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply, your advice is much appreciated.

I have paid a 50% deposit my new setup today of KEF T-205 speakers, Denon AVR X4000 amp and a Denon DBT 1713 blueray player (with strong resistance from my fiancee) so I am looking forward to moving into my new home so I can start chasing the walls for my new toys.... :)

I need to ask some questions about a samsung smart tv next.....That's if my fiancee hasn't killed me by the morning :-/

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    When you have a reluctant partner its best to avoid talking about AV kit and stick with discussions about enjoying nights-in listening to great music and enjoying brilliant movies – though what constitutes great music and a brilliant movie may be a whole other discussion :thumbsup:

Joe