1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Virgin please help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Saint James, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Saint James

Saint James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am totally new to all this home cinema, but i am willing to learn fast. i have just bought a panasonic TH42PE30B plasma, which i think is top notch. My plan is to mount it flat on a wall and have no cables showing. i need to connect Sky, DVD player and VHS. here are my questions,
    1. what type of bracket should i buy, do i go for the panasonic as shown in the instruction manual or some other manufacturer.
    2. what do i need to connect all my boxs (SKY,DVD VHS) together with, i am i right in thinking i need an AV reciever.
    3. what cables will i need, i cant use SCART because there is not enough room in the wall cavity to place the cables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as at present i have a very expensive cardboard box in my front room and so far i have been looking for these answers for a week and all i can find is pay an installer to do it for you.

Many thanks

Saint James

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Fully wired Skytronic SCART cables 99p each from loadsa supermarkets,
    work perfectly connecting everything. Don't waste more money than u
    have to.

But if you need to run something thin, buy a Quintro Scart switcher (£60)
    get a JS to VGA box (£120) and run a VGA cable (upto £20 for 10 meter cable) thru the wall as I suspect that will be the thinnest cable option.

4. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    dont do it!
    go to a shop that has good rep and decent selection of cables and audition them yourself a good shop will let you take them home and try a varied selection of materail before making your choice only you will be able to see
    whats best for your equipment you do not have to spend alot of cash but you may well be surprized.
    regards red

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    St. James has a Viera... I don't think VGA cable is an option as the VGA port is front mounted under the flap. :confused:

S.