av virgin needs advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by EDDO11, Nov 3, 2005.

1. EDDO11

EDDO11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is all new to me . I have been reading and saving and reading and saving and now i am ready to BUY!! (asked the missus for some money).
    I am going to my first demo tommorro and am going unarmed- do i take extended warranty-do take different cable-i just dont know?
    The eqipment i am going to demo are pioneer PDP436XDE
    denon dvd 3910
    denon avr 3805
    B&W MT30+PV1
    The reveiws say this is award winning stuff but i dont want to be bullied into buying any thing i dont need PLEASE HELP. :confused:

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    You gonna have to demo them against products of a simialr or cheaper price, think about what you have heard and seen from the offerings (probably sleep on it) and then make a decition.

Exteneded waranties are generaly just safe money as most stuff doesn't brake (unless its philips). Cabling mid range stuff is probbaly best, the cheapest branded stuff or one just above it should be fine. Don't spend mroe than 10% on cabling and thats alot for the system your buying!

The most important thing is when all id done and you sit down and watch your dvds you enjoy them.

Try and get the 3805 for cheap as the 3806 is due out any time now.

Don't be bullied don't let them suggest that sometihngs there that isn't just try and listen and enjoy, if you don't enjoy it then its probably not for you, why else would you spend all this money otherwise :p

3. EDDO11

EDDO11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much for the advice :thumbsup:

4. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like you going to check out a real nice set-up. Just be sure to take along some of your own disks you know well. If you have DVD copies also take a few to check if the dvd player plays these well. Same for the stereo listening test, take some personal favorites that you know well, use cdr's a lot?, then take a few of those as well.. Usually when listening to cd, you probably like most people will not set the equipment to any of the available surround modes, it's just sounds better in two channel mode, the way that cd's are intended to be listened too. So listen to what that sounds like as well in your test.

If you also buy DVD's online from for instance the USA or Asia be aware that those can in a different region and might not play on a region 2 dvd player. Many DVD players can be made region free with a simple code you input with the handset. (a handset hack). Check the situation of the Denon on that.

5. EDDO11

EDDO11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again :thumbsup:

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    definitely try and get a discount on the 3805 if you go for it, they know the 3806 is just about to be released so you should get the 3805 cheaper........when it comes to items like these they dont usually have an actual stock of them, they tend to use a warehouse that stores various electronic goods on their and other stores behalf....which is why sometimes they will say they can get it within 24 hours, sometimes they say a few days, thats usually because their local warehouse hasnt any of what you want so they go to another areas.......i wouldnt recommend ex-demo for the 3805 tho because a lot of stores have used that model nonstop for demos when people are looking for DVD players or speakers at a similar or cheaper price...so it will have seen a lot of high power wear and tear.....

i have the 3803, and i have the 3910, its a lovely disc player, however it seems that its musical ability tends to depend on your speakers, some people have bought it and found its CD replay lacking, but on my Monitor Audio speakers i find it brilliant......its SACD/DVD-A sound is gorgeous on most speakers tho......its picture quality is very good, its featurelist is pretty good, socketry is pretty much complete as it gets....

but try other stuff as well, different people have different ideas of what looks and sounds good.....

oh, just rechecked your post, try some Monitor Audio satellites as well with an REL sub to back them up if you considering the Denons.......or if you dont have to use satellites then check out MA's Silver RS series speakers, they seem to be getting rave reviews from magazines and forumites ;-)

last of all, get a cheap display for TV use....and a nice cexy projector for films/games/occasional TV use.....heh....once u go for over 80inches you wont go back ;-)