• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV Upgrade - Speaker Wire Problem

SILVAF0XX

Afternoon all,

I have an issue that I would like some advice on please.

I currently have a Sony DAV DZ260 all in one cinema system. I am quite happy with the sound volume and quality, although I understand that it could be much better, it suits my needs and didn't break the bank! I am however, suffering with lip sync when connecting my Xbox One to the TV via HDMI and to the surround sound via Optical cable.

I was thinking that it would be beneficial (I mused this in one of the Xbox threads) to move to an AV receiver in order to soley use HDMI as a connection method. I am thinking this will keep all picture/audio in sync?

My budget has to be tight (baby on the way) and I want to maintain the Bravia sync if possible as I am likely to get a new Sony TV in the next 12 months.

I was considering the Sony STRDN840 - good deal at £200, hoping to use my current cabling and speakers, but after chatting to Richer Sounds it appears I will need to upgrade my speakers too? He told me the amp or speakers could blow up? I would appreciate any comments on this.

If I do indeed need to buy new speakers, I will do, but that then brings me to the biggest obstacle yet!

I made the rather stupid decision last year (as we were plastering the new extension) to bury the speaker wires in the wall to make the surround sound system neater! I am aware that the supplied speaker wires are not the best quality, so my question is this:

"as I am not an absolute audiophile, given that I actually think my current setup sounds ok, if I leave in the original cheap speaker wire, what will be the outcome?"

I know it probably won't sound as good... but will it sound terrible?

I will hopefully be able to upgrade the wiring at some point, but if I suggest to the other half that I hack into the new plaster now, she may well rip the old lads off!!! :eek:

Cheers for reading... I hope it makes sense?

Richard :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Assuming the Video is ‘behind’ the audio (you are in real trouble if it’s the other way around) and assuming there is no user adjustable Digital Audio Delay in the Source or DAV system you can add a Digital Audio Delay device between the Source and the DAV and avoid ‘blowing up’ your system :)

http://www.js-technology.com/store/product.php?id_product=21

If you wish to go down the New AVR route the problem you have is that the DAV system (like many 'all-in-one's) has a ‘Passive’ Sub which is powered (like the rest of the speakers) from the central DAV unit – AVR’s normally power 5 satellite speakers and you then connect a self-powered ‘active’ sub using a screened ‘RCA to RCA’ cable rather than loudspeaker cable.

You could use the five DAV satellite speakers with a new AVR and add in a powered sub (with the required RCA to RCA cable) – in terms of ‘blowing up’ the system you would simply have to ensure you don’t over drive the satellites by turning the AVR volume up too high.

Joe.

SILVAF0XX

Thanks for the suggestions!

My audio does appear to be behind the video?? Why is that real trouble... I'm scared !!:(

I am now looking at speaker sets and looking at a Tannoy set for around £230 with an active sub.

I had not considered the different cable type though.. my sub is in the corner of the room with the wire also buried... this will not suffice then once powered extenally?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘My audio does appear to be behind the video?? Why is that real trouble...’ – you can’t ‘speed up’ the audio or ‘slow down’ the Video!

If there is an Optical Out on the TV running the Xbox video + audio over HDMI to the TV and then take the audio out of the TV via Optical ought to put things back in sync.

If the TV lacks an Optical Out and instead has an ARC enabled HDMI socket you could consider our ARC to Optical converter - Media Factory - Octava HD11-ARC-UK, HDMI ARC processor + EDID emulator

You can’t use the installed loudspeaker cable to get the signal from a New AVR to a powered sub – you will need to install a suitable RCA to RCA cable.

Joe

SILVAF0XX

My setup is as below, but I was hoping that erradicating optical altogether and going for all HDMI it would keep synchronisation?

I understood that HDMI does this... but I am probably wrong with a flawed understanding :confused:
Media Setup.jpg

SILVAF0XX

This is definitely an issue with the Xbox One surround sound performance as my setup worked perfectly well when using my Xbox 360 via optical output. Now that the TV is running through the Xbox though it has thrown all sorts of quirky things up !! :rolleyes:

Time to convince the missus that if she wants voice controlled TV but lips that look like they are speaking in time that we need to spend a little bit of money :D

SILVAF0XX

‘My audio does appear to be behind the video?? Why is that real trouble...’ – you can’t ‘speed up’ the audio or ‘slow down’ the Video!

If there is an Optical Out on the TV running the Xbox video + audio over HDMI to the TV and then take the audio out of the TV via Optical ought to put things back in sync.

If the TV lacks an Optical Out and instead has an ARC enabled HDMI socket you could consider our ARC to Optical converter - Media Factory - Octava HD11-ARC-UK, HDMI ARC processor + EDID emulator

You can’t use the installed loudspeaker cable to get the signal from a New AVR to a powered sub – you will need to install a suitable RCA to RCA cable.

Joe

The only outstanding question then, is how badly will the old "bell wire" speaker cable affect my system?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘I understood that HDMI does this...’ – it has an ability to try and keep the video and audio within the HDMI wire ‘in-sync’, as soon as you separate the video and audio down different paths things can fall apart.

Have you updated the Firmware on the Xbox One – I see lots of folk having issues with the Passthru HDMI socket.

Which TV do you have?

Joe

SILVAF0XX

‘I understood that HDMI does this...’ – it has an ability to try and keep the video and audio within the HDMI wire ‘in-sync’, as soon as you separate the video and audio down different paths things can fall apart.

Have you updated the Firmware on the Xbox One – I see lots of folk having issues with the Passthru HDMI socket.

Which TV do you have?

Joe

I'm actually running the preview, so got the very latest firmware available. The lip sync issue seems to vary from channel to channel, but when I watch it with sound (2ch stereo) via HDMI they are all fine!

It has to be the way the Xbox splits off the audio via optical. When I set optical to DTS, it is far worse than when is set it to Dolby Digital???

I am happy to upgrade equipment, even if I am perhaps masking flaws in the Xbox. My only real concern was the poor wire quality I have neatly tucked behind the plasterboard and the detrimental effect that would have on any AV upgrade? I really can't start hacking the room to bits!

As I said before, I can appreciate good quality sound, but I am certainly no audiophile!

As long as it doesn't sound worse "quality wise" than now I will be happy. Any improvement in quality/volume would be a bonus!

I will have to work out how to hide the RCA cable though... perhaps I could take the skirting off to achieve it :smashin:

SILVAF0XX

I'm unsure of my TV model... it's not new, but I am sure it does have an optical out. I seem to recall though that it won't pass on 5.1 from any connected device... only from "TV content" if that makes sense?

It is a circa 2008 LCD 40" jobbie!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'only from "TV content" if that makes sense?' - yes pretty much the norm until fairly recently.

Have a look at D-line trunking for hiding the cable.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom