AV upgrade advice please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cliffp, Dec 29, 2006.

1. cliffp

cliffp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I presently own a high-end hifi system and want to change it to an integrated hifi/home cinema setup. My system is:

Naim 135 amps (x2)
    Naim 52 preamp
    Naim CDX
    Naim SBL

My wife has told me to sell the SBLs as she doesnt like the colour (black)

I am tempted to sell the lot and buy N-Vi and N-sats but worry that the N-Vi wont be future proof as it doesnt have HD-DVD and may not be upgradeable.

Are there any other suggestions as to gear I could buy that would give a good sounding solution at a lower price? (would prefer to spend less than 6500 if possible)

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the up to £6.5k you mention, is that a budget you have available now, or is part of that a rough assumption on how much you'd get for the Naim gear plus some cash you have now?

if its assuming you have sold off the Naim gear, then probably best to look at something around £1,500-2k ampwise, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha and Arcam are the usual culprits if you want future proofing, or if music sound is crucial as well then consider the likes of Primare and Cyrus type manufacturers....then with the remaining £4.5k approx, you have a huge array of speaker options available, most now do multiple finishes so the missus should be happy with one finish or another......personally i recommend (as always...lol) Monitor Audio, GS60's, GSLCR, GSFX (or if too big then RSFX) rears and a SVS PB12/Plus if a big sub is ok, if not an SB12/Plus.....that should lot should come in under budget quite happily....altho i would recommend grabbing a dedicated power or stereo amp for the GS60's at some point, even £2k AV amps cant do those speakers true justice for music, but should manage fine with movies....alternatively drop to GS20's and grab a stereo amp at the same time, MF A3.5, A5, Primare I30, Arcam FMJ A32 are all models that will sound good with them.......oh and with MA speakers i'd probably say consider the Arcam or Denon AV amps mostly, but best bet is to listen yourself :)

anyhow, i'm sure other folks will respond with choices, will be helpful if you can mention how that £6.5k is reached tho, already available or once Naim gear is sold....

3. cliffp

cliffp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice Knyght_byte, I have looked at the speakers you listed - they certainly look interesting. I was thinking of spending a total of 6.5k for speakers, and pre and power amps though I may increase the budget if I get addicted. I will see what your recommended list of gear costs and do some auditioning.

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cliff

If you are a Naim devotee have you considered adding the Naim AV2 processor, Naim NAPV 175 3 channel amp and either the Naim DVD5 and/or Toshiba HD-DVD. You could even sell the CDX and 52 if the AV2/DVD5 prove acceptable playing back redbook CD to free up funds.

Add a decent surround speaker package from Epos or Castle or whoever - you really need to home demo to find a sound you like.

You could always get the n-Vi/n-Sats and add a HD-DVD player.

There is a scaler module due out for both n-Vi and DVD5 also which wil give 1080p out, depends on what display device you have as to whether this will be a good option.

Gus

5. cliffp

cliffp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gus

I like your idea also. I could probably keep the SBLs for the stereo L and R front and the 135s to drive them. I have a few questions:

Can I use the CDX CD player as an input to the AV2?
    Will the AV2 interface ok to two monoblock power amps such as the 135s?
    Presumably, the AV2 would interface directly to a SVS PB12/plus?

As it may be a while before I can buy some of this gear, I wonder if it would be feasible to connect the SVS PB12/plus to the subwoofer output of the tv (its a pio 507XD) as an interim measure - I imagine that mistakes with subwoofers could bring the house down literally!

6. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I believe it is yes to all 3, there is a pdf on the Naim site showing connections and cables.

http://www.naim-audio.com/download/connections_2003_09.pdf

I would think you could reuse your existing 135 cables.

If you keep the 52 then the AV2 connects to it and runs the v175 and the 52 connects to the 135's.

For clarification I would post over in the Processors and Power Amp section, there's an AV2 thread there. Also find a good Naim dealer and get a dem.

If you keep the SBLs then the obvious choice is a n-CENT or Axess centre and n-Sat surrounds.

I would look ex dem or used for the equipment.

Gus