1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV transmitter required. Sky+ to Z2.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by therealijn, Sep 5, 2005.

1. therealijn

therealijn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+ box is too far away from my Z2 to reallistically run a cable that will let me watch sky on my projector (probably 15 metres - don't want to drill holes in carpets/floors/walls). I have a scart to s-video converter unit available so I'm looking for a wireless AV transmission system that will do the signal sending from sky+ to converter for me. I did buy a hub and reciever system from B & Q but I could not get a picture on the PJ. It would work sending a picture to a portable tv for some reason. Can anyone recommend a product they have experience of? I realise that s-video might not give me the best picture but I'll be easy to please. Please note there is no scart connection on a Z2.

Thanks.

2. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Is that 15m from box to Z2 or 15m cable run. My run is currently 15m cable run and I use SVideo with no problems. I've got one of those digisender boxes and they're not worth the trouble. They interfere with everything, for some reason their wireless spectrum is huge. I've altered mine from one extreme to the other, at one extreme it completly blocks my WIFI signals, at the other it plays around with the DECT system in the house.

I ran my under the carpet, we've got underlay so I cut out channel and the cable is now not noticeable. If your worried about spending 70-80 quid on a cable then get it from a place that will accept a return if the product is not suitable ( all internet shops have to offer this).

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Your Sky+ box already has an s-video out. You do not need a SCART->s-video converter.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The wireless spectrum is huge because video is a wide bandwidth picture. It's unusual to see video transmitters interfering with wi-fi, because the lower bandwidth wi-fi signal is usually stronger (the energy of the signal is concentrated into a much smaller spectrum). If either is interfering with your DECT phones, then you have dodgy DECT phones, because they work on an entirely different frequency (DECT is 1.8GHz, and wi-fi is 2.4GHz) !

The bottom line is that you will probably find that the quality of a video sender will be insufficient to give you good results on a projector, interference or no interference.

5. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I ues to use a digi sender to get the picture to my, the result was terible, the picture was such a mess.

One question, if Dect and Wifi are so seperate, why does every manual to every bit of wifi kit say that dect phones can interfere???

6. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    WIFI gets completly blocked out from anywhere but the room with the router in. ( which kinda defeats the purpose). The DECT system we get very poor range when the sender was turned on, I'm still not entirely sure it was down to the sender but its a lot better now I don't use it .. wihch reminds me anyone wanna buy a philips digisender ? :)

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    you pay for what you get...

if it didnt cost a lot then a av transmitter will only want to send a weak signal which wont be strong enough to form a picture fit for a projector....

normally you're lucky if its good enough for a 14in portable TV...

Any frequency can affect any other frequency despite being in different bands, i think its something to do with metals (in a house the girders for instance) affect them and can cause them to intefere with each other sometimes.....cant remember the science exactly tho......but this is why you get SACD with supertweeters on your speakers, even tho you cant hear the sound above say 16khz (at 30 years old or so) the sounds you do hear are affected by the sounds higher up...

if you spend decent money on a powerful transmitter using an extremely unusual frequency range then it should be fine...but tbh it would cost more than its worth in this case...lol

8. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    TV senders don't run on S-Video, it may have an S-video input but it will only be sending composite. The picture is alright to send 10m to a portable but not to a 80" wide PJ image.

I've got mine setup with an S-video and phono cables from the Sky+. It is well hidden round the skirting and under the carpet where it crosses the door and then throught the wall to the room with my PJ. No-one as yet has noticed it, and the PQ is good enough for watching the footy and the occassional movie.

9. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stripe says it all.

I too have a video sender and it is fine for say a 21inch bedroom TV.

For anything like a projector it is a waste of time since the degradation in picture quality will become very apparent on say a 90inch screen.

10. therealijn

therealijn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. Great answers. Looks like I'm just gonna have to run a long s-video cable and phono cable as well.

therealijn.