AV sync (audio delay) Philips TV on native apps and internal speakers

Yan123

Novice Member
Hi,

I have got audio delay on the TVs own internal apps. Philips 58PUS9005. Has anybody experienced this as well?
I have sent a video to Philips customer support but on the first impression someone thinks there is no audio delay.
I'd be really grateful if you could have a look and tell me whether I'm crazy or not. Haha it's a recording from Netflix.

VID_20210716_013633.mp4 and 1 more file

Its a short recording of an episode of the Witcher on netflix just a minute of it. I used my phone in 4K. It is exactly how I hear it in person in the room. The 600 something mb file.
For me speech should precede lips moving and it is not the case in this video.

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm I'm not crazy. Because you'd expect delay using a soundbar etc. but not using internals apps using the internal TV speakers is a bit odd. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
For me speech should precede lips moving and it is not the case in this video.
Nope. The other way round. Lips move, then sound heard.

Speed of light vs the speed of sound makes audio heard before the lips move very very unnatural.

NB. I haven't seen the video. I don't wish to agree to any terms of use from any random hosting sites.

Yan123

Novice Member
I think in terms of speed of sound. There will be a delay around 5 milliseconds only compared to the picture if you're sitting 2 meters away from the TV. So 5/1000 of a second which will be trivial. But for me there is real delay - it feels like the sound is delayed significantly. I can post a YouTube video if anyone is kind enough to share their opinion. Thanks.

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Private video. No can see (or hear).

You have tried the TV maker's suggestions?

Some people are very aware of lip sync issues and can spot even very short delays. Most of us can tolerate a bit and UK broadcasters spec programme delivery to be +/- 5 milliseconds (and iirc) allow for a further +/- 5ms to happen in playout/distribution chain {although the target is a big round zero}.

I reckon this You Tube video of the BBC lip sync testcard has audio 2ms late, watched on my laptop. It may be worth trying on your TV (and phone and other devices) to see if it's better/worse/the same on all and what you measure?

Last edited:

Yan123

Novice Member
Thanks I'll give a try. I tried other AV sync videos on YouTube all returned around 50-100 ms delay on my TV. You must mean 200ms rather than 2 ms because it's impossible to differentiate a 2 millisecond using a human brain.

I've tried the TV manufacturer recommendations and I have an open support ticket with them they have yet to come back to me. It's just that someone thought there were no lipsync issues. So I did want to check whether i was crazy. Thanks.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that...
Looks wrong.
But it is variably out with some parts in decent enough sync.
So I'm suspecting dropped frames and suchlike from the streaming source and eventually the streamer re-syncs/drifts and repeat?

Is the TV hard-wired ethernet or wifi or Powerline or??
Is the broadband router speed well in excess of the streamed data rate? What connection ADSL, FTTC, FTH etc.,.?

I could actually have a look at Witcher via Netflix.
Which episode and time into it? also what resolution UHD/HD were you watching in (so I can try to watch the same part as your clip, the same way)?

Yan123

Novice Member
Thanks. The first support rep thought there were no issues but I'm still waiting on the tech team to get back to me formally. It's season 1 episode 7 15:28

I use a WiFi router 5ghz and the connection is 50mbs fibre and quite good to be honest. Netflix 4k loads in a second. You can tell there are no connection issues because content ahead is already pre-loaded. Ping is less than 10. So it's an excellent gaming grade connection. No issues on laptop watching 4k and no phone issues either with lipsync.

To me the poor av sync persists throughout
. Even if you rewind and let it reload it's still there. It never syncs

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Looks fine to me. Toggle between 0ms and 200ms on your avr. That's the two default syncs.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Sorry for the delay in replying.

I couldn't see anything dramatically wrong on my Hisense TV (in the bedroom) - it maxed out at 2160p circa 15Mbit/s (I'm on FTTC at 31Mbit/s connected and circa 28Mbit/s Ookla download.) It ran through 720p/1080p on the way to max streaming speed - with no obvious changing of lip sync at all. Unlike the video you uploaded.

:blush: I couldn't remember where the lip sync adjuster sub-menu is on my TV to try to 'correct' the possible slight anomaly seen. :facepalm:It was very minor though and I'd probably have not been that critical in normal/casual viewing.

I know I set the TV lip sync using the file on my NAS of the BBC HD test card. But unsure if it's global or a per input (and app) setting. Not had the TV that long 😉

I'd still, in your shoes, be trying the TV connected via a (temporary) cable to prove it's not a wifi issue.
(Mine's fed via Powerplugs on the same ring main due to my laziness in not routing a cable into the fitted wardrobes from an adjacent cupboard).

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom