1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dustymillerl, Jun 5, 2004.

1. dustymillerl

dustymillerl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken the plunge and just got a Denon 2803, which is fantastic, but want to use the component switching capability of it. I have a Panasonic XV10 that outputs in RGB via the scart, and a sky+ that does the same. But as I only have one RGB input on the TV, Panasonic 36PF10, want to use the RGB component switching of the Amp to have both devices outputing via RGB.

What do I need, is it simply a case of two Scart - thre RCA (RGB), and obne three RCA(RGB) - Scart, or am i missing a fundamanetal point here.

:lease: put me out of my misery here.

Cheers

2. AVAspirer

AVAspirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm not an expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but RGB scart output and component aren't the same thing.

See here: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/VideoConnectors/VideoConnectors.asp

"It is important to realize that component video output and RGB video output are not the same and are not directly compatible with each other, however, they are easily converted either way using a transcoder."

I think you can get a box that converts the signals, but at 100 quid or so it's probably not worth it.

So, your sky+ might have true component outputs for your Denon, but the DVD doesn't, If you wanted to use the component switching, you would have to get one of the boxes to convert RGB to Component.

3. dustymillerl

dustymillerl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it seems I'm gonna have to go with the S-video output, and switch that signal instead, for the DVD & Sky+

Not what I wanted. :( :( :(

4. AVAspirer

AVAspirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon you are probably best off using a decent cable to connect your dvd to your tv directly (to the RGB scart), then switching anything else by s-video, your tv should autosense and change to the dvd automatically when you turn it on, so it's not too much inconveniece hopefully. At least that way you are taking advantage of the RGB for movie playback.