av sub to hi fi amp

If the sub has hi-level i/o connections then yes, you connect the speaker cable to the sub then from the sub to the speakers. If it only has a single RCA input then no unless your amp has a dedicated sub output.

If the sub has hi-level i/o connections then yes, you connect the speaker cable to the sub then from the sub to the speakers. If it only has a single RCA input then no unless your amp has a dedicated sub output.

It only has 2 wire connections + and - so it cant be used then.

You could get a subwoofer that can be connected using a Neutrik connector (e.g. BK and REL) as these have wires that then connect to your amps speaker binding posts.

You could get a subwoofer that can be connected using a Neutrik connector (e.g. BK and REL) as these have wires that then connect to your amps speaker binding posts.

Sorry to butt in - would that method mean connecting front speakers and sub Neutrik wires to the same binding posts on the amp?

thanks

Yes, so that the sub is basically receiving the full speaker output signal, which is then rolled off using the subs control panel. This is called the high level input.

Yes, so that the sub is basically receiving the full speaker output signal, which is then rolled off using the subs control panel. This is called the high level input.

So you connect the speaker cables from the amp to the high level inputs, then do you connect the high level outputs to the speakers??

Firstly your subwoofer has to be equipped with the Neutrik in connector - don't try to do this if your sub only has line level (RCA phono) inputs or something will go bang. You connect the speaker cable to your speakers directly from the amplifier. The neutrik cable ends just goes into the speaker terminals as well as the speaker cable. If you buy one of these types of sub - there will hopefully be clear instructions on how to do this.

If you are using it mainly for music, there is no need for any other connection than the neutrik. Far better than using a stereo RCA (high level) connection out as calibrating the subwoofer becomes far easier if you just want to underpin your speakers bass response. (Plus you have a single wire connection that is far cheaper than decent dual RCA cables). What the BK and Rel Subs do allow for however is a simulatanoeus connection of a low level input for home cinema use (i.e. for the .1 for a 5.1 soundtrack).

So you connect the speaker cables from the amp to the high level inputs, then do you connect the high level outputs to the speakers??

I think I know what you are saying - the way I see it is - connect both speakers and sub high level to binding posts on amp - right?

I think I know what you are saying - the way I see it is - connect both speakers and sub high level to binding posts on amp - right?

But i have another question that i have also asked BK for some advice as follows
"Hi, can you help me with a setup situation. My setup is as follows,

AV AMP – Denon AVR1907
Integrated Amp – Harmon/Kardon HK970
Mission Fronts, Rears & Centre
XLS200 Sub (of course)

Now, I currently have the sub connected to the avr via the phono lead to low level and sub out.

I will be connecting my BK sub to the integrated via the high level Neutrik to the binding posts on my amp along with the Mission fronts as per the manual.

The integrated will be connected to the avr via the available pre-outs on the avr.

When in “movie” mode/5.1 (avr & integrated switched on) do I need to remove either of the connections? I assume the feed to the sub will be from the avr which, is also feeding the fronts via the pre-amp/integrated if you know what I mean! Therefore theoretically the sub will get signals from both the fronts & the avr!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Nigel,"
End quote.

Call me silly but I think this may cause phasing problems unless someone can explain to me the right route,:smashin:

OK here is a link to a Rel subwoofer manual that should make all clear. I cannot help re: BK but I am sure one of the many owners can answer

http://www.rel.net/index2.htm

Edit: Sorry link doesn'nt take you directly to the manuals, but they are all there for all products.

OK here is a link to a Rel subwoofer manual that should make all clear. I cannot help re: BK but I am sure one of the many owners can answer

http://www.rel.net/index2.htm

Edit: Sorry link doesn'nt take you directly to the manuals, but they are all there for all products.

Thanks again, i've read the manual but nothing is stated about using both connectors simul and which will take precedence or if will cause a problem:lease: Will wait for a response from BK or an expert as i don't want to try incase of disaster

Thanks again, i've read the manual but nothing is stated about using both connectors simul and which will take precedence or if will cause a problem:lease: Will wait for a response from BK or an expert as i don't want to try incase of disaster
I used to have the XLS200 connected as you have (i.e. with a stereo amp acting as a power amp for the L&R) and would occasionally forget to turn the high level gain down again (when going back to AV mode) but opening the crossover again to let the AV processor do the job. It just means the sub is reproducing the full range as well as the L&R, no harm done as far as I could tell.... it just sounds rubbish :suicide:

FWIW I've given up connecting the high level input as it means bypassing the BFD, no EQ is just not an option for me. I now just connect everything via the AV amp and just use the stereo amp purely to power the L&R and nothing else.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom