AV Stuff in a cupboard?

The Ikea Kaxas TV/hifi bench (smoked glass etc mentioned further up) has 4x large round circular cable exits etched into the rear panel but they are only barely etched so I found myself digging out the hole saw to cut through. No particular problems (well, cramped) but they could have just cut the damn things out at source.....

I'm in the same position as you some months on and I searched high and low for something other than the Ikea Kaxas solution, but oddly when I assembled it I quite liked it. Still not wired it all up though....

Anyone have suggestions as to how to lock sliding glass doors against small fingers? :lease:

:offtopic: [oh and to those who suggest teaching little ones not to fiddle I was sceptical until I checked it out with a professional and it seems gender differences render it almost imposible to do this with anything other than a female model ;) The professional opinion is there is no way it'll work with male offspring as they seem to have fiddling hard wired into the chromosomes..... together with a tendency to grab each and every remote, though boredom may set in at some indeterminate point]

There seem to be 2 Kaxas stands on the Ikea web site, one with sliding doors and one with a rotating door. I would guess you need a pop up/down bolt for either but I don't know where you'd find one.
The rotating one could also be locked with a normal cupboard/drawer catch if you could superglue it to the door and you'd probably want to paint it black - http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=20664&langId=-20&parentCats=10106*13756
Failing that a luggage strap round the cabinet would also work - again pretty ugly but taste and babies don't seem to be easy companions.

LOL - I'm afraid my little girl is just as taken with buttons and dials. If she can get a phone or a remote then she is very pleased with herself. You can see the look of glee on her face if she spots that the Tivo remote is in her range and unattended.
She has finally learned that the DVD collection is best left on the shelves not scattered on the floor - but it took a lot of explaining and a fair amount of tears to get there.

Once she's old enough to want to watch telly for more than 5 minutes then I'll show her how to work the basics but for now I'm just fortifying and keeping the remotes on the mantle!

AMc said:
There seem to be 2 Kaxas stands on the Ikea web site, one with sliding doors and one with a rotating door. I would guess you need a pop up/down bolt for either but I don't know where you'd find one.
It's the TV bench / sliding door one. I wish I could find one of those locks that jewellers/photographic stores used to put on sliding doors.

AMc said:
LOL - I'm afraid my little girl is just as taken with buttons and dials. If she can get a phone or a remote then she is very pleased with herself. You can see the look of glee on her face if she spots that the Tivo remote is in her range and unattended.
She has finally learned that the DVD collection is best left on the shelves not scattered on the floor - but it took a lot of explaining and a fair amount of tears to get there.

Once she's old enough to want to watch telly for more than 5 minutes then I'll show her how to work the basics but for now I'm just fortifying and keeping the remotes on the mantle!
I'd be the last to encourage TV watching in children but as the SO watches so much and the baby gets drawn in I bought a Pingu DVD and that had the little wonder spellbound sitting inert for up to 10 minutes entranced. Oddly this hasn't happened with the subsequent Pingu DVDs.

First action every morning is characterised by the hunt for remotes and phones - much more important than mere food.....

...couldn't live without it though :blush: ;)

Just sitting reading through suggestions for an av stand with my wife (will she ever find one she likes she sighs) As we're expecting our first child we're now looking for something that matches the living room decor AND child freindly!!
Anyway she suggests this following site for those of you's with little mini-me's that love the remote control as much as daddy!!
http://www.bounty.com/Shopping/WillyUmYum/catitems.asp?cat=27

Any more suggestions for as she puts it "proper wood" units?!

Just ordered my new 32" LCD, and I want to hide it in a cupboard. That is, I need to close doors on it. The reason is that my wife is a childminder, and I don't fancy footballs being kicked against it and whatever.

Only found one option, Markor from Ikea for £165. Seems like overkill.

Anyone recommend a better solution that protects the TV?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom