AV Stud Wall Design Advice (drawing inside)

Seph23

Established Member
Reaction score
We're in the process of moving into a new home, and I've got the opportunity to design a build a 'centre stage' for the TV.
The room is fairly symmetrical, and the TV will be placed nicely in the middle of the back wall.

I wanted to explain my suggested drawing and see if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations.

Stud Wall.jpg

1. I'd really like the TV to be sunk back slightly (100-200 mm), but it makes me nervous that in x years time I may have a larger TV and don't really want to be renovating this section, so I'm thinking of keeping the TV mounting area flush.
  2. I think the LG has a fixed power cable, i.e non-removable, so I'm thinking of adding a power socket and Ethernet power flush behind the TV. In hindsight, I think this could be a single power socket and single Ethernet port.
  3. The AV receiver, consoles, media players etc at the bottom will sit in a section that goes right to the back. They'll sit on a wooden sill similar to a section of window sill that's painted gloss.
  4. At the rear of the wooden sill will be a number of 75mm holes for cables to drop into the cavity below.
  5. Im unsure how to manage the power and Ethernet access to the remainder of the AV equipment. I think it'll be too messy to have the power outlets and Ethernet patch boxes at the rear of the recess, so might be better to have a removable cavity either side of the centre stage, which gives access into the dropped cables from #4 above.
  6. I've added a similar recessed cavity at the top for the centre speaker. Not necessarily the most ideal location, however I really prefer having the TV at eye-level, so I think this is the preferred arrangement.

For reference, I have a 65" LG OLED TV, but think it's quite possible I may eventually go up to a 77" or bigger, so have shown both for now.

Would really welcome any advice, ideas or suggestions. TIA

Last edited:
Is there any other location possible for the AV gear? It would allow better placement of your centre speaker and also no annoying LEDs, even if cable runs were longer.

Is there any other location possible for the AV gear? It would allow better placement of your centre speaker and also no annoying LEDs, even if cable runs were longer.

The current AV gear has been visually on show for the last 10-15 years directly under our TV's in our last two houses, and have to say It's not something that annoys us. The SkyQ is a little bright but we've got used to it.

I think i'd prefer to keep the AV equipment at arms length from the TV and not have to worry / deal with really long HDMI cables and be concerned with wondering how I might have to replace them later down the line if the AV equipment was in another location.

Last edited:
Fair enough. It would have just helped left to right panning.

I agree, having the Center speaker below would be preferable quality wise and aesthetically too.

Maybe the use of a harmony hub or ir repeater would allow you hide the media player, sky box to give you the space to move the Center speaker below the tv. You could the. Have the amp and console either side. You would just need to think through how to hide the cables and still gain access to them.

Or centre sat on the shelf in the middle and amp and gear either side of it. There's a lot or room below a 77" TV. If you did build a stud wall, you could go for a Monitor Audio in wall speaker for the centre.

Version 2 below, although I need to work out what i'd do with access sockets and plugs etc.
AV equipment below the TV is 100% to scale.

Stud Wall2.jpg

What we've done in the past with builds like this is design an over size the pocket/recess that the tv sits in and it is only the front face that closes in on the actual tv size. Then if/when you replace the tv only the front face needs replacing.

Another option would be to recess the bracket that holds the tv that would give u only the thickness of the tv sitting on the wall.

What we've done in the past with builds like this is design an over size the pocket/recess that the tv sits in and it is only the front face that closes in on the actual tv size. Then if/when you replace the tv only the front face needs replacing.
Do you have any example photos of this? Sounds interesting

Not sure. I'll have a look.

Basically build the studwork frame with a larger opening than is needed.

Then cut your sheet/s of MDF to match the tv size and fit that over the oversized frame opening.

Works in two ways. Better heat disipation and flexible tv sizing in the future.

Another option would be to recess the bracket that holds the tv that would give u only the thickness of the tv sitting on the wall.
Yep done that also.

Or when a client wanted to upgrad from an old 43" we fitted a pullout bracket and a 65" Samsun Frame tv which covered the hole left by the old tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom