1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Av Speakers max £500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Choppy, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Choppy

Choppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've opted to go for the Denon Avr-3805 amp to kick of a new home cinema experience (Music not that important). Currently completely lost in ascertaining which speakers need to go with it. My constraints are:
    Must be under £500
    At least 5.1
    Appealing for the eye (otherwise I have no chance with the Missus)

I do really like the Eggs but unfortunately still a little out of the price range, however I look to be upgrading the speakers in 2 years time. What are your thoughts on the Jamo 410 or Mission AF1s ? Are there any other packages that offer good value, look good, and output decent av signals? Any help much appreciated !

Many thanks Choppy

By the way - Gr8 forum :thumbsup:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hi Choppy and welcome to the forum.

It is an arguable point that the speakers have a greater overall effect on the surround experience than the amplifier yet you are intending to partner a fairly upmarket amp with budget speakers.

Unless the 3805 have some features that you really need I would suggest that you consider spending a few hundred less on the amp with the savings being spent on the speakers and I am sure that you will end up with a better balanced and better sounding system.

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    Further to Ian's comments, a Denon 2805 (released shortly) seems to have much of the features (and I am assuming the Denon house sound) of the 3805 and would be an ideal foil for the Kef package. There is certainly no shortage of choice in that catagory.

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Agreed - £500 for speakers with a 3805 won't do either justice. Either balance the budget better between the two, or spend more on speakers for the 3805.

5. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Choppy,

I'm a reletive newbie to the world of AV and I inherited an amp (Sony DBR 555) from my father as well as an 'Andrew Boss' DVD player :thumbsup:

Money was a bit tight so I opted for the Jamo 305PDD package (£270ish from www.audiovisiononline.co.uk). They're a sub/sat package with the sats being very small and thin. They only go down to 170Hz (I think) but the sub copes with the rest very well. Jamo also do the 325PDD package (bigger sub and slightly different speakers I think) for a bit more - but I couldn't find anyone in the UK selling this one.

Overall I'm really pleased with the 305 package, both for music and movies - it's obviously a different sound to traditional cabinet style speakers but I think they're a great compromise between sound and missus acceptance ;)

Good luck in your quest.

Matt

6. Choppy

Choppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the recommendations and yes, you are right in advising that the Amp will outperform the budgeted speakers, but I am only after something temporary on the speaker front. My initial thoughts were to eventually build an upgraded system, therefore keep the Amp (3-4 years), but disregard the speakers in 1-2 years for a more robust pair to match the performance.

Would you guys say that the investment in an amp, should be same amount or even twice the amount that should be invested in speakers? Is there a general view that gets taken? Obviously this is only applicable on the financial front and not in a demo room.

Dare I say it, if I do go the £800 mark for speakers, will this suffice for this Amp?

Many thanks guys.

Choppy

7. Choppy

Choppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Matt, I will have a look at the link you provided.

8. spm

spm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    this may be a particularly unhelpful response as I haven't heard these speakers but somebody may have and they look a good deal - 6 Acoustic Energy Aespirit 301's plus 308 subwoofer for £399 - the subwoofer normally sells for in excess of £500 - whether they look good is subjective, certainly it is not a small sub/sat system
    http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/products/bstock.htm

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
  11. Choppy

Choppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, much appreciated with all the suggestions.