1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV speaker advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tarkus, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Tarkus

Tarkus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I’m new here but hope someone can help.

I have recently bought a Sony STRK670P Receiver, the main reason being that it has an active sub output to drive my passive sub and it seemed good value, it also partners my Sony DVPS525 DVD.

My problem is that my AV speakers are a set by Richard Allen, bought back in the days of early Pro Logic when the front L/R speakers were cabled via the passive sub to provide the bass.

I want to retain the sub as it is solid and contains 2 x 8” units and sounded pretty good in it’s day, I not sure how to connect it into my new amp as the sub has both a left and right feeds in / out. My thinking is that I just connect to either one of the inputs from tehsub out on the amp and the internal crossover sorts out the rest, but will this just drive one of the subs speakers?

Also my speakers are 8ohms and the amp is 6 ohms, not sure that this is a big issue, but my setup doesn’t sound as loud as I think it should when playing a DVD, but is much louder when fed via a phone link from my digibox .

Any advice appreciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    So far as I'm aware the Sony amp that you have bought contains a sub output for connection to an active sub and not a passive one.

If you wish to retain your existing sub and speakers you may either have to set it up as you did before you bought the Sony or perhaps you can wire the speakers directly to the amp and wire the sub to the same speakers terminals and use the bass management within the amp to control everything.

I wouldn't worry about the speaker and receiver impedance as that shouldn't be a problem.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response Ian.

This amp has both a phono output for connection to an active sub as well as an amplified output for connection to a passive sub. I do get bass output when the sub is conected to the amplified output, but I'm just not sure if the internal crossover design requires both L & R channels to be fed via it (as it was designed) to drive both sub speakers.

I suppose I could always remove the cover and disconnect one to see?