1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Source selected at startup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by martincooper, Jan 27, 2004.

1. martincooper

martincooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've decided now is the time to take the plunge and get a Plasma TV (42"). From other posts it seems that Panasonic and Hitachi have decent models for £2,500 - £3,000. The deciding factor on what make I get is likley to be how well they work with my Pronto remote control. My current TV (Panny) drives me nuts as every time you switch it on it reverts to the RF input - I have to select the AV (scart) input every time. This is made more troublesome as the AV selector is a toggle, rather than being discrete (pressing the same button multiple times toggles through various settings).
    Suggestions for good 42" plasmas with remotes that lend themselves to Pronto programming ?
    Also do I need a tuner if I have Sattelite and a VCR (which of course has a tuner) ?

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Not sure on the hitachi side of things, but from what I have read whilst choosing a plasma, the Panny can be a pain with remote codes. Some of the remote codes are available as discrete versions but these do not include the input side of things - doh!! (apart from the PC input).

The best workaround I have heard is as follows: select inputs by creating a macro on the pronto which uses a known starting point (like PC) and then send a number of input commands until you reach the input you require...depends on you input terminals as to how this will work I guess...as I will be putting NTL via the VGA (PC) port this is quite handy for me as a discrete code exists for that input and I tend to watch normal TV more than anything else.

Codes for the panny are available on www.remotecentral.com (5 series codes work on 6's) and include the discrete versions...also check out the remotecentral forums

I too will very soon be moving from a Panasonic 32PF10 TV which really annoys me with the "turn onto static and then have to press the AV button" so I can sympathise ;). I am not sure however what the plasma defaults to when first tunred on, I would imagine it would be the last used input, but maybe someone else can confirm???

I have chosen to go the way of the 42PWD6 (may the force be with me :)) - try to see some screens side-by-side before chossing if poss...

As for the tuner, don't both if you have what you say...general consensus is that the tuner is a bit ****e and you are better off with direct connections...

Have a look at:

www.av-sales.co.uk
    www.nexnix.co.uk
    www.tmfsolutions.co.uk

Cheers

JJ

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the panny 4 series you can select the imput for it to start up on in the not so secret menu.

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Think I know which menu you mean, but can you please eloborate?

Cheers

JJ

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - Go into the setup menu (press "Set-Up" on remote).
    - Highlight the "OSD Language" option.
    - Press and hold "Surround" for a few seconds.

about the 4th or 5th one down inital imput off/av/pc/component

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Cheers J,

Is this the so called "expert menu" as opposed to the 'service menu"

Cheers

JJ

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure what they called .
    there is that one and the other one with hour timer

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    cool - ta :)

Martin, startup input can threrfore be set in the menu...you should now be sorted ;)

JJ