AV setup / use of matrix switch

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by djc87, Jul 31, 2012.

1. djc87

djc87
    Established member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all - needed to sign up to this place to get a bit of friendly impartial advice about my setup! Thanks in advance to anyone who might reply! Could someone offer their advice on the home cinema setup I intend to install..

The picture attached should be self explanatory. The purple arrow is coaxial, the orange arrows are optical and the blues are hdmi.

What I am trying to understand is if there is any better solution to the one I have formulated?

Briefly:

* I'd like to be able to have 2 different sources playing at the same time (eg xbox on projector, apple tv on tv) which is why I have chosen the hdmi matrix splitter.

* I want the audio from all my inputs to go through my av receiver and output via my diamond 9.1 speakers. This will be using optical for apple tv and xbox and coaxial for virgin media tivo.

* I'd like to hook up my inputs to a separate tv in another room. To do this i am planning on attaching a separate hdmi splitter (1x2) to one of the outputs on my hdmi matrix splitter (4x2). The hdmi cable will then run from the 1x2 splitter, through the wall and to the other room where the other tv is located.

*I am not particularly interested in 5.1 audio systems. Stereo suits just fine.

Am I correct in thinking my setup renders the hdmi inputs and outputs on the av receiver obsolete? If so - is there a cheaper/more streamlined solution? In effect my hdmi matrix means I am only using the av receiver for audio purposes.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. djc87

djc87
    Established member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Should this go in the cable forum? is that why noone has replied? thanks

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    How long are the cable runs to your TV's and how do you plan to control the Source selection and Source devices?

Your assumptions about audio management are spot on - where you have 'stereo' only TV's in your secondary Zones you need to stick to Video + Stereo Audio over HDMI and use Optical/Coaxial for 5.1 direct to the AVR!

Some TV's do support 5.1 via HDMI which changes things a fair bit so worth checking the TV Specs!

We have a 4x2 Matrix with mirrored HDMI + dual RJ45 Out to both Zones with Routed + Global IR which would potentially be ideal for you; http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HD42CATMX.htm

Joe

4. djc87

djc87
    Established member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for replying. I have already purchased a cheap HDMI matrix splitter from 'hitman' on these forums and plan to use that. I don't mind switching the inputs/outputs in one room before moving to the next..

The only alternative to an av receiver I can think of is an integrated amplifier with optical inputs, but the more and more i look for those, the more i realise they are few and far between!