AV setup questions ...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Monty1977, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Monty1977

Monty1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Considering moving from a sound bar to a dedicated AV amp and speakers, mainly for flexibility as I have 5 sources and 2 outputs (PJ and TV) and the whole splitter/HDMI switch thing is becoming a bit of a nightmare.

Basically, for any of the sources, there are 2 listening modes I need. 1 for watching things through the TV and 1 for when we're doing a full on moving/gaming night and want proper sound and pictures using the PJ.

I'm looking at the Marantz slimline NR1504 as it has enough inputs and isn't crazy money.

As far as I can tell it'll take all of my sources and I'll put a HDMI switch on the output so I can direct pictures to TV or PJ as I see fit. But what about when I want sound through the TV only? Can it do that? Or does all sound have to come through the amp?

Thanks!!
    Adam

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Do you need a slimline amp? If not then I would recommend getting a fullsized amp since you will get better sound quality in general for the same money. A lot of recievers now have pass through functions on their HDMI inputs although these are often limited to passing through the last selected input or only one particular one. However, why would you subject yourself to the TV speakers since the improved sound quality will make everything sound better. Also I find that due to the improved clarity and quality I can listen at lower volumes with the receiver than I could the TV speakers which makes it better at night as well.
    What is your budget for receiver and speakers?

3. Monty1977

Monty1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Has to be slimline as it has to be hidden. As do the speakers. Not asking much eh?

With you on keeping sound coming through main speakers but sometimes tv is enough apparently ;-)

Was looking at Boston Soundware xs se 5.1 as they're white and small. Both good for blending in.

Cheers.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Bear in mind an AVR will produce a fair bit of heat so will need space around it and also some form of open front or back for good ventillation (preferably both).
    Get an all in one remote like the Logitech Harmony range and then can turn all items on with the press of one button no harder to use than the TV remote on its own which makes the use of the AVR effortless.
    What is your budget? If you could afford more the Monitor Audio Mass or even Radius ranges would be worth a look.