AV Sender Controlling Neighbours Sky

RJG18

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Having a few problems with a wireless AV sender used to send TV/Aduio from Sky+ HD box to other TVs in the house, and send IR signal from remote back down to the sky box.

It appears that at least one other house nearby has a similar device on the same frequency, and we keep controlling each-others sky boxes. This creates some interesting "battles" whereby I will change channel or go into TV Guide, only for someone else to change the channel on my Sky box back to something else, resulting in a "battle of wills" until someone gives up! I haven't asked around the street to find out who it is.

What I believe appears to be happening is the IR relay that sends the remote control signal back to the box is being received by each-others receivers, and relaying to both/all Sky boxes.

Interestingly, if I unplug my transmitter unit, and just leave the receiver unit on and connected, I can see what other people are watching (including them scrolling through TV guide on the screen). The device also has four channels that can be switched between, and on two of the four channels I can see what is being watched on two seperate houses Sky boxes. (Rather concerning from a privacy point of view!)

Unfortunately, changing between the four channels does not appear to have any effect on the channel the IR is relayed on.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this probem? If so, any recommendations? If not, can anyone recommend a DIGITAL rather than analogue wireless AV sender (possibly encrypted?) that would both prevent the problem of "shared" IR relay and the privacy issue?

many thanks

R.

Hi and welcome to AVF, though you missed the supermod post immediately above your thread:
*****NO SKY or FREESAT Related THREADS In Here*****"
Most problems with senders come from them not having a long enough range - yours seems to be the opposite of that! There are other types of Videosender that use a different range of frequencies so you could try one of those. They're rated something like 5gHz.

Stick aluminium foil to the wall to block the neighbour's signal then paper over it. You can test this simply by hanging the foil temporarily with sellotape or similar and see if it stops you from receiving their picture.

(If the signal's coming through a window, scrap this idea.)

Stick aluminium foil to the wall to block the neighbour's signal then paper over it. You can test this simply by hanging the foil temporarily with sellotape or similar and see if it stops you from receiving their picture.

(If the signal's coming through a window, scrap this idea.)

Modern low energy glass double glazing should be OK as it has a metallic coating to reflect heat back into the room. Certainly stops microwaves dead and probably most other rf.

I am so glad I found this. I have been experiencing the same thing. Usually at night I take the remote upstairs to watch something to fall asleep to. I also have a battle of wills with someone as to who gets control of viewing. We have two transmitters, one by the SKY+ box downstairs and one by the TV in the bedroom, these are no more than 3 metres straight above eachother. I have read in the instructions that they have up to a 70 metre range so would have no idea which neighbour to approach. Martin - does foil really work & RJG18 - Did you try it? The only other thought we had was to re-design the layout of our rooms to try to stop signals coming through!!??!!:confused:

We have two transmitters, one by the SKY+ box downstairs and one by the TV in the bedroom
:confused:Isn't it one transmitter and one receiver?
Is it a 2.4gB or a 5.8gB sender?

:confused:Isn't it one transmitter and one receiver?
Is it a 2.4gB or a 5.8gB sender?

Not if remote's signals are passed back to digibox - both are then transmitters and receivers - although usually one is source and other is in remote loaction.:lesson:

OK - first unit transmits channels to second, receives IR back from second, transmits that to devices - second receives channels from first, receives IR from remote, transmits that back to first = three transmitters + three receivers in two units.:D

I too am having the same issue as OP...

I too have just bought this av sender kit, the nikkai 5.8ghz kit, but when watching sky + in another room, it sometimes randomly starts changing channels by itself, is it interference from another wireless source e.g a wifi network etc? or some other sky user near me changing their channel...FYI im in a block of flats....

if its the latter, how would i get around this??

ive tried various different frequencies.....

Try returning it and exchanging it for a 2.4gHz type.

I too am having the same issue as OP...

I too have just bought this av sender kit, the nikkai 5.8ghz kit, but when watching sky + in another room, it sometimes randomly starts changing channels by itself, is it interference from another wireless source e.g a wifi network etc? or some other sky user near me changing their channel...FYI im in a block of flats....

if its the latter, how would i get around this??

ive tried various different frequencies.....

Do you have energy saving light bulbs, fluorescent lights or similar - all are known to emit spurious infra-red radiation which can not only interfere with infra-red remotes but has been known to emit spurious signals such as you are seeming to be getting. Plasma TVs and LCD TV backlights can also cause similar problems.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom