1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV scart problem (any engineers out there?)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by harmunt, Dec 21, 2003.

1. harmunt

harmunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When viewing any source through AV2, the TV sporadically loses the image but keeps the sound. If I twiddle with the scart or knock the TV, it returns. AV1 is fine but because it's not RGB it's rarely used.

It'll even happen if you walk near the set! Not always, but 70% of the time. Now I assume that the AV2 socket is faulty as every different scart I have tried has this problem on all equipment it's connected to.

Does anyone know if replacing AV sockets on a television is an expensive business?

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    In theory it shouldn't be a difficult job.
    However, some TV's have a separate panel (or daughterboard) with all the SCARTs on them whilst others have sockets soldered directly to the main circuit board that has all the other TV circuitry.
    It could be a crack on the circuit board or just a poor solder joint ("dry joint" which just needs a few seconds to repair once the dicky joint has been found).
    I would suggest a local independant TV premises (they usually sell refurbished TVs and VCRs as well).
    I am assuming you are well outside any guarantee period.
    If you have a friend who is an electronics engineer, all he should need is a soldering iron and solder + perhaps a multimeter to fix it - with the promise of a few beers once the job is done.
    I fixed my own - but I am an electonics engineer (working for a USA semiconductor company - though I am not in the TV trade).

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Worth giving the scart socket a clean, with the set off spray the socket with a good quality contact cleaner and plug and unplug the scart plug half a dozen times or so. Leave for 15 mins for full evaporation and try it out.