1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Sales Warranty vs Component Upgrade

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gstadt, Nov 9, 2004.

1. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have been studying this forum for some time and after various soulsearching, deliberation and boring my friends, I have purchased a PW6 from AV Sales [waiting for the bank transfer to go through meanin I can change my order]. All was cushtie until the I've realised that my Dav sc-5 only has composite inputs not rgb as I'd thought - I planned to use it as a av switch for my freeview and ps2. My options so I think are :-

1. Buy a Quintro->into my JS VGA convertor->VanDamme lead>VGA [with the PW6+2yrs warranty@£199]

2. Ditch the warranty and quintro and get a progressive scan component DVD player with leads,free board circa £200, I think. Put up with switching freeview/ps2 manually on JS Conv/opt.in to davsc5. [Don't play that much PS2 anymore and would have to switch the audio optical in anyway].

I watch a lot of DVD's - is the component+progressive scan aspect that much better than RGB - composite to RGB difference is quite a lot to my eyes.

Please help as I thought I had it sussed just by reading /doing searches. Is this just pre-receipt panic :rolleyes:

2. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Another option, I think, is to get a budget receiver that can upconvert rgb in to component out and either 2xrgb input and 1xcomponent input [againdicthing the warranty for a progressive scan dvd player] thereby saving on the js converter and quintro??

Please help :confused:

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    buy a panny E55 dvd recorder and plug component output straight into
    PW6 VGA input (plug sky into E55)

saving on quintro and JS box

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i reconmend dual slot board and E55 £220 from AV-sales FV>E55>Component input then S-video or Composite (S-video) For PS2 and use DAV for sound only????

5. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Av Sales advised that VGA would be a slightly better signal vs component board due to fixed mounting - is this your experience?? On another post you mentioned that PS2 has copy protection which prevents routing it through E55?? On a final note, the PS2 menu has RGB and what looks like component (Y....YBr etc.) which I thought is a bit odd.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you need a specific cabe for component out from PS2 no dont route PS2 via E55 i reconmend the VGA converter for best possiblequaity....BEST Idea woud be scrap the DAV.. but that pushes budget up a lot........http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/panasonic_sc-ht25r.html as an option