1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

av-sales showcase

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Liam @ Prog AV, May 8, 2003.

1. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Here are the details of the display showcase we're running, anyone is welcome to just come on in (no entrance fee):

Confirmed Plasmas: Pioneer MXE, Panasonic PWD5, Fujitsu HHS10, Hitachi 400e, Relisys Plasma TV
    (all set-up side by side on Optimum racks in the smaller room)

Confirmed Projectors: Toshiba MT5, Epson TW100, Panasonic AE300, Sanyo Z1, NEC HT1000
    (all projecting side by side onto Draper Luma 69" screens in the bigger room)

Other Stuff: La-Z-Boy :D, Panasonic DVD recorders (giveaway competition), LCDs from Neovo and LG (30" and 17" 16:9), ProV+, there'll also be some other kit on show but not fully setup (space limitations) and some cables, convertors and representatives from most of the manufacturers.

Where: The Spa Hotel - Yorke Suite, Mount Ephraim, Tunbridge Wells, TN4 8JX www.spahotel.co.uk

When: 17th May (9.30 - 5) & 18th May (10 - 4.30)

2. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Liam

Sounds brilliant. Howz about dragging it up to the far North where we are starved of any decent showrooms in Edinburgh / Glasgow which give us a chance to do comparisons.

;-)

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Next time we'll kit out a big truck and drive it all over the country :rotfl:

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi liam i already own a plasma , but would like to know whether you will have few or any scalers there to play with ,ie iscan pro/ ultra/ or others as i have not seen these yet,and would like to see if they improve a picture in a side buy side situation, will you have a sky feed there too,

many thanks

ps. that hiring a truck idea might seem mad but when i was looking to buy a plasma i could not find one shop with a side buy side viewing, or maybe they just dont want to do it?

5. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds perfect - I'll be there

Just said to the missus 'fancy a nice day out in Tunbridge Wells ?'

'why, what's there that you want to see, plasma screens or something ?' she replies

Anyone would think all I've been doing is reading up on AV kit the last few weeks !

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    JMack - we hadn't planned on many scalers as we have some space limitations and there will be plenty of confused faces when we start using words like "deinterlacing" and "progressive scan" to people who are there because they don't know what a plasma is! We're tring our best to suit everyone's needs though so there will definitely be something (will update thread when I can confirm). Unfortunately, there is no Sky connection in the hotel although we're hoping our freeview boxes will get a decent signal.

The truck idea wasn't a joke.....

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi Liam, great idea!
    Put me down for the Saturday viewing.
    I'm interested in either the Sanyo Z1 or Panasonic AE300 for a friends install, so this will give me a chance to see them side by side etc.
    I'm also itching to see the NEC1000, and the difference the Iris makes.
    As you may or may not know, i was the first one to try using the now infamous "ICE STORM" paint range, to try and help with base black level etc.
    This unfortunately also has an effect on the brightness level, but with the Iris you have a choice for different conditions etc.

It would be nice to see the plasmas on show "side by side".
    Since i love my Panasonic 42 "5" , i will not be after upgrading for a long while.
    If the new Hitachi/Fujitsu panels prove to be better than the Panasonics, then good on them. I will have no problem accepting the Panasonic is no longer king!
    If they are better, they must truely be stunning displays:D
    Just make sure the Plasma room can be darkened!

See you there...:smashin:

8. carlpthomas

carlpthomas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam

the showcase sounds like a excellent idea. its not very often you are able to see the top kit side by side.

any chance of the sharp xv-z91e added to the list of projectors.
    I am dying to see it alongside the panasonic ae300 and the sanyo z1.

cheers

Carl thomas

9. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Liam,

Any chance in bringing along a Sony RDR GX7?

10. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I'll be there one of the days. Do you need to know details Liam, or should people just turn up?

Mike

11. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From someone else in Scotland who'll probably be buying an Iscan and Pioneer 433MXE in the near future, I'd also be very keen to visit you in your truck (so long as it didn't clash with my holiday in just over a month!)

Now, if you were doing interest free deals and discounts for buying at the roadshow....... !!!

Taimur

12. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Due to the distance from Manchester, i've decided to kill two birds with one stone.
    I hope to get a demo of some high end CRT projectors with "D-VHS Hi-Def" in Norfolk on the friday, and then travel down to you friday night.
    Stay friday night in the hotel, leaving me fresh for saturdays viewing!. (depends how much i drink friday night!)
    Is there any discount for show viewers in the Spa hotel?

Thanks Paul

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Looks like Saturday's gonna be a busy one! I hope everyone likes football cos there is no way i'm missing the Cup Final :smashin:

Fulabeer - both rooms don't have windows and the projector room barely has any light where the projectors are! I'm hoping the Panasonic will keep her crown too :D The Spa Hotel is already pretty full. Worth giving them a quick try on 01892 520331 just in case. Some other good local hotels are:

- The Swan Hotel (about 1 min drive from the Spa, closer to pubs than the Spa too!) 01892 541450

- The New Wellington Hotel (up the road from the Spa near a good restaurant and some bars!) 01892 542911

Carlpthomas - it went down to the wire on availabiliity and space, we could only get about six projectors in there and seven plasmas at full stretch given all the other bits people wanted at the showcase (John Simm's excellent RGB converters will be there - thanks for the demo units Symanski! Plus ProV+'s, LCD monitors/TVs, cables and we're trying to get some IScans down etc etc) so we've had to hold back on getting every popular projector to make space for everything else!

Ariharry - Sony declined our offer to be at the showcase. There loss :laugh:

Triggaaar - don't need to know your details but if you register on the day or online (easier!) then you get a chance to win a DMR E50 and we get to know how many people are going to be there so that we can make the right amount of coffee/tea, juice and popcorn!

taimur - we don't have the truck yet!!! There's going to be special offers at the showcase that will also run for up to 2 weeks after (some will run for a shorter time).

14. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be there on Saturday as I am interested in seeing the projectors side by side. By the way I love football so put me down for a front row seat with plenty of beer and munchies :D

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Will do Ian!!

Also, IScan Pro and IScan Ultra are confirmed. Owl Video are bringing them down with the Sanyo Z1.

16. Marvinius

Marvinius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what difference in real terms does the contrast ratio make? and what does it all mean:confused:

17. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Marvinius - in broad terms it's the difference between the blackest black and the whitest white, or the range between dark black and bright white. In real terms better contrast means deeper blacks and more detailed colour. A display with a lower contrast would struggle to show a snowman in a snowstorm or a guy in a black suit walking down an unlit alley at night-time for example. Probably best you search the forum or even the web in general for a better description though....

18. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam I'm down for Sunday. FA cup Saturday the kids in Belgium.
    What a fantastic opportunity. Great info Liam. Can't wait. Why I may have me panny 100 back by then.

Thanks again for that info. Oh by the way do you know if John Jefferies who runs the 'Sound of Music' in Royal Tunbridge Wells , is contributing?

19. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Liam
    "There's going to be special offers at the showcase that will also run for up to 2 weeks after (some will run for a shorter time)"

To apply for the special offers do you need to turn up at the spa or will you be showing this online also. Just I'm interested in purchasing one of your items you will be displaying.

Cheers
    John

20. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LJT - there are no other local AV companies at the show, just us!

Jonny m - the special offers are going to be offered to guests of the showcase who we speak to while we are there. Most of the offers are on a limited unit basis (as they are manufacturer offers not ours) so once people from the showcase have had their chance to snap them up we will more than likely be able to extend the offer to the rest of the public. If some offers prove successful then we will try to arrange for the manufacturers to run the offer for a little longer but we won't know this until after the event.

21. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The NEC VP4S (silver) plasma screen is now confirmed. Be interesting to see how this stands up to the others...

For those who are after seeing a games console through a Neovo LCD, unfortunately we won't have enough space to do this in a way that will actually be beneficial to someone making a purchasing decision. Don't fret though, after the showcase i'll set the monitor up in the office for anyone to come down and play around with it at will. You will need to bring your own consoles and cables though, I can supply a PS2 but not the RGB or component leads (can't get them out of my setup ;)).

22. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    OK people, the weekend is almost upon us!

We've got as much stuff as we possibly can crammed into the York Suite based on responses we've had over the last fortnight (Syncblasters, Unicol mounts, cables, free bags of popcorn (!), freeview tuners, DVD recorders etc). Dr John has kindly lent us a couple of converters and now Gordon has said if he gets any spare time, he may be able to pop down for an hour or two with the HD Leeza and JVC 30000 HD deck!!!

We've added more on-the-day offers too and we have slashed prices on a few bits there that you can walk away with! Don't forget to register on our site either, because you're in with a chance to win a Panasonic DMR-E50!

For those that are coming down, i'll see you there!

23. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Good Luck Liam..... Not sure if I can make it but I'll ha.ve a look at map tonight when I get to my hotel. I think it's going to be unlikely though as I am now a day behind seeing clients

Gordon

24. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam, any chance of sqeezing in a 32" plasma (Hitashi maybe).

25. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Well it's 3.20am and i have to get up in abour 3 hours to drive all the way from Manchester!
    Liam, make sure there is a coffee machine on arrival:smashin:
    I'am leaving about 7.00am and hope to be there about 11.00am.
    I will take plenty of pictures amd post them on here later tonight.:smoke:

26. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Well i finally got to sleep at about 6.00am!
    It's now 7.00am and i'm just leaving:suicide:
    I look forward to maybe meeting some of the forum members.
    Now if i could just find them matchsticks for my eyelids...

27. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Any news on how its going so far? Is it running smoothly? Any favourites emerging?

Still not sure if I'm going to be there it today or tomorrow.

Mike

28. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I was expecting to see some opinions on here by now. I was looking at plasmas. Liam favoured the 42" Panny (PWD5), but I preffered the picture on the Hitachi. AV-sales were unable to set up the Panny with the iScan Ultra (possible compatibility issues) which was a shame, as both the Hitachi and Panny were being fed an interlaced signal (may have suited Hitachi's avis technology more) and if I were to get the Panny, I'd be interested in a deinterlacer for sky.

Did anyone manage to make a decision based on what they saw?

29. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The 42" Panasonic seemed to have the better picture to my eyes, with the Hitachi a close second. The 50" Pioneer, installed next to the Panasonic, looked a little washed out and grey (only a little though), although Liam commented that he felt they'd not been able to set it up as well as it could be.

I seemed to spend most of the time with my head stuck round the back of the panels though, trying to get an idea of the noise levels. Not easy with the background noise, but for me the Pioneer was the quietest, with a pretty discreet buzz. The Panasonic was next, being audible from further away than the Pioneer. The Hitachi fared worst since it's fans where whirring away.

Still, it was great to see most of the better screens available alongside one another and, for the most part, well set up. And the image quality of those three panels left me thinking that pretty much any of them would do the job - the differences were obvious there, next to one another, but once you get one back home and setup I, for one, wouldn't be able to spot the shortcomings without another panel to make a direct comparison. Since it'll be a while before I have two panels, so I don't think that'll be a problem :p

Cheers, Carl.

30. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got there this afternoon and would agree that all of the plasma's on display were very good quality. The Pioneer did look a bit washed but maybe that wasn't set right. It's great that the plasma screen quality has stepped up to the mark recently and now when looking at this range/spec the costs £ and looks/style seems more the deciding factor. I'd go for the cheapest of the "best" and spend the savings on a decend sub. The black frame for the plasma gave a better aspect to the picture as well.

The projector demo's proved what I was expecting, Pan AE300 great picture/£. The Panasonic dealer mentioned that they have a 8 dead pixel return policy which begs the question is it worth paying money for a check (usually on 1 or 2 d pixells).

Would have been good to see tv feed through the units but not poss.

Cheers

:smoke: :clap: