1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV-Sales PJ shootout coming soon!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kane D Williams, May 8, 2002.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi folks

Just to keep you updated, the shootout is still due to go ahead May 17 from 6.00pm onwards. If anyone wants to come along, please let me know ASAP, as AV-Sales want to know, so they don't have too much or too little in the ways of food and drink I guess!?

The confirmed people are as follows:

Kane Williams (Me)
    Mark Goldie
    John Bown
    John Spicer

I am waiting to hear from 3 others. If any of the names listed above have changed their minds and are no longer coming, please let me know. I hope not, as any less and I will feel a pratt for getting the kind folks at AV-Sales to do this for us and it could jeopardise any future such events!

Cheers Kane

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where is is taking place?
    regards
    LittleT2

3. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It is in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. AV-Sales have offered transpotation from the train station -Bless em!

Cheers Kane

4. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it simply a sales drive or could I bring my Sharp 9000 along to see how it compares with other kit?

Technophobe

5. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Tecnophobe

AV-Sales say no problem "the more the merrier"! Great people! So, does this mean we can add the Sharp XV9000 to the line up? I hope so, it will be interesting to see how models half the price and less stack up! Let me know matey!!

Kane

6. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kane,

Count me in for sure. Send me a private mail if you want any more details from me.

Do we have a list of the kit that will be on show yet?
    I would love to see how the 9000E looks using an iscan or HCPC.
    And what improvements a good screen can make.

Technophobe

7. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    technophobe,finally got my sharp 9000 today..................:D :D only quickly plugged it in, using an s video lead and using a non prog scan dvd player.........straight out of the box what a bl**dy good picture,tomorrow,it`s out to get `proper` leads, component etc.and enquire about a good prog scan dvd player(pal too if poss.) have you been experimenting with yours much,any tips/info, experiences to pass on ? a friend of mine has a Rock scaler/de interlacer(5k worth) etc,so we are going to plug it through that to see what difference that makes to it.

8. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paulsa,

At last I've found another sharp 9000 owner in the UK!
    You don't here much of this PJ much now or any other for that matter, just the panny!!
    I've had mine since Christmas and it still blows me away every time I switch it on.
    The S video I/P often get slated and I must say I agree. if you think it looks good using the S Video just wait till you see how it looks using Component, it's very nearly pixel perfect no bleed at all.

There was/is an issue about bypassing the scaler on this PJ but I'm not sure if this is true of the European 'E' model such as ours.
    Let me know how you get on using external scalers / HCPC's etc.

Technophobe

9. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    technophobe, mines is an import from japan;) no way i was going to pay `our` mad uk prices, i know how/where you got yours,but they are/where no longer available at that price,so i imported it myself,so it`s the 9000 but no `E` only difference i can see,is on the rear you have 2 sets of 5 `phono` component sockets, i only have 1 set of 5 but i do have a `D4` connection, but i `aint got a clue what it`s for.will let you know if i have any probs with external scaling,when i try The Rock,tried everywhere to find out the difference between the `jap` spec and ours before i bought it......but i couldn`t find any (apart from the rear connections).....will keep in touch,i`m just chuffed i managed to get one..........after 6 months trying:D do you have a prog scan dvd player ?? ,didn`t think it would get much better using component leads......can`t wait now ;)

10. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Technophobe

Not sure of confirmed line up yet, I know there will be a Sharp XV9000!!;) There will definately be the TW100 and AE100 and probably either a Sanyo PLV60 or Sony VW11HT (hopefully both). The Toshiba MT7 may also be there!?

We will have an HCPC (thanks to Mark Goldie) and a Progressive DVD player as well. The screen I'm hoping is not a high gain one (unless Firehawk), I'll check today.

Cheers Kane

Glad you are on board!

Paulsa

Progressive is only available via component (or VGA RGB), not S-Video. Sorry if you knew this.

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
  12. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I hope so Bert!

13. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
  14. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe they will be showing you their new 'box' which converts your S-Video and composite feeds to progressive scan VGA... its quite neet.

However its not as good as it first appears. They showed it to me when I was there the other day, with tape put over the manufacturers name badge. First they showed me S-Video into the AE100, which was pretty poor. Then they showed it through this device and into the VGA on the AE100. Contrast was much better, and edge definition much much better. However I am sure much of this is down to the well known fact that the VGA input works much better on the AE100 than the S-video.

Anyway you guys can judge for yourself when you see it. As I said at first glance it looks great, but when you think about it then its not quite so hot.

Also it cant accept RGB input, only has one s-video input, and only has an analogue tuner built in.

I can see there is a market for this device, but its certainly not for me.

Enjoy your show.

Regards

Der Pobman

15. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If it would transcode component and RGBs to RGBHV as well (PAL/NTSC progressive) for an extra £40 or so, it would sell - well I'd buy one!

Kane

Bert

Glad to hear you'll be there (that's 6 now)!

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kane,

Can you confirm there will be a DVI equiped HTPC there - as well as checking out some of the PJ's on the line-up I wouldn't mind seeing how my Piano stacks up when fed with DVI. And if they have any RGBScart/s-vid to Component transcoders on show that would also be of interest.

Cheers, Phil.

17. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Phil, I'm bringing my HCPC with me. It has a Radeon 7500 (with DVI). AV-Sales are kindly providing a DVI cable. If you can find out the correct settings to give Powerstrip for your projector, then that'll help. I'm setting up a profile for the TW100 in advance in order to save time on the day. Would be happy to do one for the Piano too.

18. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kane,

Did you find out what screen we will be using and the size?
    I'm bringing the Sharp 9000 for sure do I need to bring anything else such as interconnects, AVIA or any other DVD's for that matter.
    Is there a plan for the evening?

Technophobe

19. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technophobe it may be worth insuring it for the little trip, just in case. I doubt it would cost much to insure something for a day but would be peace of mind.

Look forward to the perception of the projectors and the screen :), is anyone going to take a piece of MDF with some ICESTORM 5 ;)

20. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Kent is far too far for me to go to (I really would have liked to have tagged along) can someone post their views on the event/projectors afterwards.

In particular, that is if Philip attends with his Piano, can people comment how they think the AE100 compares with the Piano especially when fed DVD player sources rather than HTPC. It would really help me with this deciding which projector to buy malarky. One moment I'm 100% one way then the doubts creep in as towhich is best for me........

BTW apparently some dealers now have their Plus Pianos (TotalAV in Oxford have one till Monday http://www.totalav.co.uk/cinema.htm), and they are apparently on general release to Joe Public in 2 weeks - not via direct internet sales as in the USA abut only via dealers.

Thanks

Sykes

21. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shockabuku

If your still comming to the shootout tomorrow any chance of you setting up a HTPC profile to drive the sharp 9000 also?
    I would love to see what it looks like when the scaller is bypassed.
    If you need any specs let me know.

Technophobe

22. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Phil

I hope you bring your Piano?

I hope I can get a lift back to Bexleyheath as I have a feeling the evening may go on a while (no trains)!

The screens are standard white Draper pull down and tripod type screens!

The PJ's will be TW100, AE100, VW10HT, VW11HT, Z9000 (Technophobe) and maybe the Piano (Philip).

They will also have a rep from RGB on hand for tecnical help and be showing us scalers and Crestron controllers etc!

Should be a good night!! Keep your eyes peeled for our opinions soon!

Kane

23. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn wish I could make it ...sounds like a lot of fun and the weather should be good enough for a bbq! :)

If someone could take pictures it would be cool, I know a snapshop of a projector in action does'nt tell you much but who cares! :D

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just spoke with Mathew from AV-Sales.

The screens will be standard tripod type of gain 1. The DVD player is a Samsung - 6000? he thinks. Apparently it doesn't have component out.

Also, he was unable to get a DVI cable si if anyone can bring one - of any length, it would be helpfull.

I would like to test my Piano on component since my Tosh 2109 doesn't do it so if anyone could bring a DVD with component out it would be great. I will bring mine (Multi-region) just in case theirs is R2.

See you there, Phil.

25. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well in for penny and all that!
    Will bring the Tosh SD210E with component out and Multi Region.
    See you all later.

Technophobe

26. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philip

I'd be really interested to know if there is much difference in pq when the Piano is fed component rather than s-video (hopefully not much otherwise it is yet another factor i have to build into my "AE100 v Piano which one to buy" equation)

Have a great time all of you (he says sitting at work with 3 more hours to go till i have finished for the day feeling :( )

Sykes