av-sales and panasonic pwd8

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by mx-revelation, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after renovating our entire downstairs which seems to have taken a life time
    (4 months and minus 30k) ive decideded on the pwd8 being perswaded by reading these forums for over a year
    and horny dragon that convinced me sometime ago !
    ill be useing the panel for

sky out put via scarts x 2. rgb
    xbox 360 component.
    xbox composite or scart prolly best via scart i believe.
    and a dvd player scart x 2. rgb
    i do have a external sound source a dsp-a 590 yamaha amp with composite- s video routeing not to sure about useing it for routeing though as in quality pic signals via the composite leads.

so my questions are

question 1 - where on av sales is the discount for forum members for the pwd8? have they sold out ?. if thats the case where can you get the same quality of service 2 years guarantee and a price to match

question 2 - i need to keep the plama includeing ped stand and 2 scarts video boards below 1200 inc delivery is this feasable ?.

finally question 3 - do i need the hdmi board for the xbox 360 connection for 720 resolution? dosnt it just use component ?

thx to anyone who helps and anyone that thought about it and couldnt be bothered lol rev

2. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    The xbox360 doesnt have HDMI output, only component which still gives a HD signal.

Sorry cant answer any of your other questions.

3. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
  4. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is the colour important to you? When I spoke to av-sales last week they had sold out of charcoal and were unlikely to get anymore, it's not clear from the richer site whether its the silver or black one you buying. I believe most retailers probably only have stock or can get stock for silver.

1staudiovisual had stocks of the charcoal pwd8 last week and do it for £915 inc 3yr warranty + del. Ped stand is quite pricey (£160) on there though.

For connections, do you have sky+? If so what about svideo straight into the supplied svideo board, or perhaps the dvd via svideo?

Could also perhaps route your dvd/xbox through SKY and just buy the 1 Scart board?

It could work out cheaper to purchase a new dvd with component out (tosh 360 maybe) and pay the upgrade for Sky+ to get svideo/optical out rather than 2 scart boards?

Tim

6. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ill have to shop aound although sky + is on the cards
    looks like the pwd8 is selling out fast gearing for the 9 series
    pity there isnt more retailers who stock the pwd8
    who are well known and trusted
    s video dosnt seem as good as scart perhaps i set it up wrong i dont know

7. hornz

hornz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I called RS yesterday regarding the colour of the PWD8 listed for £899.95 - the lady in stock enquiries claimed it was the black/charcoal model, but she didn't say what she based that on...

Up until yesterday I was looking at 32" LCD's but the price of this has totally changed my mind. You get the component blade and the ped stand too. Ever so tempting regardless of colour...

8. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes thats my feelings too

i think ill give them a call on moday trouble is they v sold out of dam scart boards for it now lol

charcoal is my pref so i guess i can buy the plasma from there and 3 years cover and search a round for the scart boards

if i get around to it ill repost

9. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    My sky looks very good into s-video , i doubt it would be worth the extra for the scart.

10. hornz

hornz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hmm. Could I live with just the component and composite boards?

I'd be using the panel to watch Freeview SD broadcasts fed via a Topfield 5800 PVR - audio will go straight to my stereo amp (no 5.1 in my house) and s-video to the PWD8. This would allow me to connect the DVD player to the component board.

The RS spec doesn't clarify which component terminal board is included though - I certainly wouldn't want to get lumbered with BNC connectors.

Any opinions on how this panel copes with a HD feed? Is it really worth buying an 8th gen panel now?

11. RPD_UK

RPD_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thats a bit mis-leading. Its not 'HD Ready' but it is 'HD Compatible'.

This means it will happily take a HD signal and downscale it to fit the "ED TV" resolution of the screen. From all accounts it looks superb when it does this too - as it has a very capable scaler built in.

Good screen this - especially if you dont want (or need) full HD resolution.

12. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I use component in via the pc input from the dvd player,sky and dvd recorder goes into the s-video input switched with the amp.
    If the component board as bnc connectors you could get addaptors or just use the pc input and use d15 to componet cable.
    I have never seen the screen with a hd input so i can't comment, the reason i didn't go for the hd screen was down to cost and the fact that its going to be a few years before i will even think of getting anything hd.

13. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I f you search the forums you will find that it will support a hd feed and do it very well.

14. hornz

hornz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks all for the quick replies - much appreciated.

I've just been looking at your gallery bob1; it looks great as part of your setup.

I'm on leave from work this week so I might pop down the local RS (Cardiff) and demo it as they've got one setup in store.

15. Nokmondoo

Nokmondoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    i have sky hd innto my pwd8 and it looks awesome. compared it with my mates hd screen and cannot tell the difference from 6ft away.

16. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i think im convinced and all i need to do is ring js up

ill see what options i have with conectivaty
    so you all saying s video looped through a amp is pretty good ?
    has good has scart say /rgb

are there things such has scart to svideo leads if thats the case?

see my old trusty pace box has 2 scarts only and the dvd recorder 2 also

1 on each are rgb enabled not sure if dvd has s video and cant be bothered to look @ this min
    btw thx for your replies

17. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    S-Video is good, but RGB or Component (YUV/YPbPr) is better. I'd suggest that if you did wish to use an amplifier for routing video, you change to one that supports component video switching. That way you could have the XBox via component (set to 720p), DVD and Sky via a RGB to Component converter. This would also reduce the number of inputs you'd require on the screen, but give a better overall solution.

But if you do with to keep using SCART, don't forget there's other switching solutions for SCART that will allow multiple inputs to one input on your screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

18. hornz

hornz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My local RS has only one open-box in stock. It's a huge screen, but looks very nice.

19. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what store is that dont say sheffield !

20. hornz

hornz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cardiff :-]

21. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phew thx

22. Mezzanine

Mezzanine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guildford branch sold out last Saturday
    Southampton branch sold out on Monday (sorry that was me, :) )

Their £899 deal includes the 3xRCA component board + official Panny stand as extras.

Temporarily set mine up on the stand to test it out last night. Hooked up my DVD using QED component leads. Very impressed. Hopefully, I'll have it on the wall by the end of the weekend. :D

23. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i went and it would of meant id have had to buy a new amp with
    component switching for sound from xb0x 360 to loop through to amp/plasma
    + they only had 1 rgb scart board , and the box was opened , when asked it was a x display model .
    wasnt able to see it working either has it was boxed,and the last 1 in store too,(charcoal @ sheffield if anyone is interested)
    although i think i could of got a work around solution for my and equipment
    if i and ritcher sounds could of had time to plan my setup but we didnt. had wife sister-in-law and my 2 children with me

DO NOT TAKE EXCESS BAGGAGE WHEN BUYING A PLASMA

disaster !

anyway bought the hitachi 42pd7a10 which is really a over priced hitachi 7200
    do i mind paying the extra , not if it works out well in picture quality wise.
    the h/d feed they had on at the time looked jaw dropping.
    would i have been better with the pwd8, im almost regretting buying the set and it isnt here yet lol

reading the 7200 forums the tv seems to fair well with most aspects barring black levels, and a few anomalies like green tinge / smearing here and there , but if you look into these anomalies it appears this phonomena affects alot of displays thats what seems to be reported anyway.

just hopeing now once run in set up callibrated ill be happy with it and not ever looking back and wishing id of bought a pwd8.

perhaps itl go boom and i get a pwd9 has a replacement lol with a dd component switching amp thrown in as a good will gesture

no flameing me for buying the hitachi 42pd7a10 over a pwd8 @ the end of the day i didnt mind paying extra and knew it was a black 7200

out of curiosity if im not happy with it can i send it back ? within a certain timeframe ?
    also how do you check the ammount of hours used on the 7200
    wanna make sure its a unused one :)

edit

for anyone buying a plasma do not take your kids and wife unless you absolutly have too. plan and tell them this could take well over a hour to decide, send them to mc donalds. if needs be, meet them later and buy then.

id also like to thank everyone that has contributed to my post incl horneydragon even though i didnt go along with his advice from other post, i do respect his input and just hope my dissision wasnt a bad mistake

24. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well it came took almost 3 hours to read the phone book manual and follow set up and run in set ups instructions

it kinda got confuseing at 1 stage but sorted it.

this plasma only looks good with hd source material which is pretty dam good even with the blacks to me anyway .

sky std material on the other hand is a another matter.
    but im on day 1 and prolly too early to tell about anything really
    but what ive seen of it its inpressive, so for now im glad i bought the hitachi .

25. hornz

hornz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hey MX, glad you finally bit the bullet and purchased. My local RS only has one PWD8 open box in stock which I'm reluctant to go for... I'll hang on till payday now and decide from there. Hell, I've been saying this for 4 months now!

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    pity what did you pay for 7a10 (7200 which are the same have been going for £1k new) and i am sure a PWD8 or PHD8 (HD version) can still be had, either Ex-demo and good savings or brand new..........IMO the 7a10 is a mistake especially if you paid more than £1200

27. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i paid a hell of a lot more than 1200 lets say 250 quid more all in all it came to 1650 with a 3 year warrenty inc delivery. allthough the warrenty which seems to run inside the manufacturers warrenty
    so 1 year warrenty + 3 years panel protection protection ends in 09 surely its 1 years warrenty manufacturer then 3 years panel protection ?

btw i know i paid too much read my how to shop for a plasma advice further up
    i went for the pwd8 then she says lets buy that 1 @ 1450 ect i was unprepared on spending more !

i think im happy with it esp in the hd departmeant