1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV-S channel on Sony TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MaKSiNG, Jan 17, 2003.

1. MaKSiNG

MaKSiNG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have 2 S-Video enabled scart sockets on my Sony FQ75. I have my DVD player plugged into AV2 using an S-Video to Scart cable.

But when I select AV2, it displays AV2. I was expecting AV2-S for S-Video. I have had a look in the manual and there is no reference to selecting an AV channel to use S-Video input.
    On Panasonic sets you can choose whether you want the channel to be AV2 or AV2-S. How do you so this with Sony?

Can anyone enlighten me?

MaK :confused:

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The on-screen message AV2 merely refers to the fact that the TV is displaying the input from the AV2 scart not the type of signal. The message can be altered to whatever you want it to say, as long as it is limited to the number of characters available, as detailed in the manual.

The TV automatically detects and displays the signal that it receives.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    That's strange, my old Sony had an AV2-S option. You simply toggled the AV2 button til it appeared.
    It did however, very annoyingly always default to AV2 (in B&W) which was composite. I believe there is a setting in the engineers menu to get it to default to AV2-S. Don't know how though.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need to enable S-Video on the Sony scarts in the latest models. If you plug an S-Video source into the ones that are S-Video enabled, they will just display S-Video automatically. There is no indication of this however. They indicate an RGB connection by a dotted connecting line, but that's it.

Fine with me as I only use RGB anyway :D

5. b33k34

b33k34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or dont detect S-Video at all - see my other post under 'kv32fx66' heading

6. MaKSiNG

MaKSiNG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK so no need for AV2-S to be displayed.

One more question then:
    My video is connected to AV3 via Scart to Scart and when I power the video on, the TV automatically switches to AV3, as expected.

However, the same is not true of the DVD player. I power on the DVD player and I have to manually select AV2 on the TV.

Any ideas why???

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your player might only send the switching signal when you press PLAY, rather than when you just turn the player on.

8. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The 'trigger' signal to automatically switch to the appropriate input needs a scart to scart connection. Your s-video to scart lead will not transmit the trigger.

9. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a FQ75 and I think that only scart3 is S-video. I am not entirely sure though. Maybe you will have to use the little socket on the front.

I hope you solve the issue.

Cheers!

10. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem, solved it by setting the AV channel for that AV input to YC 1. (or 2, 3, 4)
    Go thru the menu, AV connections etc.
    hope that helps.

11. MaKSiNG

MaKSiNG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Kingstonlj,

I am almost certain both AV2 and AV3 are S-Video compatible. My cable is a SCART (at the TV end) to S-Video (at the DVD end) unless I turn the lead around it would not work. However, I think it would be really unsightly to plug my S-Video into the front of such a good looking TV set.

But thanks!

njiri,

What does YC mean?
    And do you mean in the normal Menu for the TV or the service setting Menu (which I do not know how to access btw)?

MaK

12. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Board

Could somebody clarify please. This thread has confused me just a little bit :blush:

If a scart socket is RGB enable you get a great picture from the DVD players etc when they output RGB - that bit I know :)

Does the scart to scart cable determine anything about RGB ?

If the scart socket is not RGB enabled, then what is it called? s-vhs, s-video or something else?

Also my old Sony which I am still yet to replace has 2 modes for each AV ie AV1,AV1s,AV2,AV2s,AV3 and AV3s. I can toggle each of the 6 options by pressing the AV button. Do Sony TV's still work in this way? The AV1 is the RGB on my existing TV and there are 3 dots above the symbol for the channel, which I always assumed meant RGB is on / or selected.

I always though s-vhs was the little round connector with 4 pins, like what I connect my US GameCube to, and Scart was everything else. Hmm.

I have composite and RF connectors nailed, I know what they are :D they are the ones I avoid :rolleyes: I have never bought anything with Component so far, but I know that is normally the best quality.

Still thinking the best TV for me is the Sony KV32LS60, but waiting for somewhere cheap to get stock - so I can try again to price-match a different JL branch. The Milton keynes branch hate price-matching!!! :mad:

Regards

paulMK

13. ami

ami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV4 on the FQ75 is the S-video socket,

AV2 and AV3 are scart sockets, what you mean is that any of the scart sockets AV1, AV2, AV3 can take s-video signals, to call AV2 and AV3 as s-video is to a degree incorrect,

14. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Masking
    Sorry for the delay in replying.
    Not got a clue what YC2 is, but it works on my telly.
    My DVD is plugged in to AV2 which is a s-compatible scart ( i bought an adapter from maplins)
    Get to it via the main menu (press menu on the remote)
    then scroll down to av connections
    select the scart you're using (AV2 in my case)
    scroll across to the next AV2 , and press the up arrow till you get YC2.
    then OK, and back to the TV and all should be ok.
    I even took my DVD player back thinking it was faulty, as I could only get a B+W picture, and the guy in the shop plugged it into the (as luck would have it) same TV as I've got, so i was able to look at the settings.

Hope that helps

15. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    YC IS S-Video. Remember 'S' stands for seperated and NOT super. Y and C being the seperated luminance and chrominance parts of the signal.

paulMK

S-Video can be carried via a mini-din OR a SCART lead.

On your TV, AV1 is RGB and composite (whcih it defaults to if no RGB is present)

AV2 and AV3 are composite and S-Video (AV2s, AV3s)

16. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kevo,
    I didn't know what YC was.
    My TV doesn't automatically detect and switch to S-video, hence having to set it to default to it - YC).