Question AV redundant or not?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Stevelinks, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Stevelinks

Stevelinks
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks. A question for you all, sorry it's a bit long but I'm baffled.
    My system comprises of Monitor Audio Silver 6 fronts, silver 1 rears, a gold front and bronze sub. I have an Onkyo Blueray / DVD player, a Yamaha Aventage AV, a TiVo Virgin box and a Samsung Smart TV. It's a fab surround system for films, but I recently bought a Project Carbon deck and the sound leaves me wanting far more.
    So my question is this, I listen to music and watch TV about 50/50. I love my system but feel it's the Yamaha letting me down when I play vinyl, so what to do?
    I would like a dedicated amp for my deck, but then it would need to be controlled by the AV, so the choice is limited.
    I just don't use the AV for what it's built for as my TV has all the other kit connected directly to it.
    I listen to Spotify using the TV / AV and it sounds as great, not vinyl but as good as Spotify should sound.
    So my question is.... is there a 5.1 amp without all the AV stuff which is good for music and surround? OR
    Is there a quality speaker switch so I can use my Dilver 6's driven from my AV OR a new amp? There seem to be speaker switches but all from one source to two speakers, not the other way round.
    I'm sure these new TV's are making AV amps redundant, they just need a good amp, we don't need all that stuff if everything is connected to the telly

Any ideas please?

2. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Do you have a budget for a new AVR.

Generally Arcam and ANTHEM have excellent reviews for music but they are not cheap.

All of your sources should really be connected to the AVR as the TV will not be able to pass on any HD audio streams - depending on your sources you are potentially throwing away audio quality by connecting directly to the TV.

Also it is easier to cable to the AVR with one HDMI to the TV - especially if you are wall mounting.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    You require an Amplifier Switch rather than a Speaker Switch (will add a link later) - alternatively you can 'cascade' the Front LR of the AVR (if it has Pre-Outs) into a suitable 2-Ch Amp and always use the 2-Ch Amp to drive the Front LR.

Joe