1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Recommendations?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stinky985, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi looking to upgrade Panasonic SaXr 45 to something else. Needs to be good for music as well as films. I have denon 2200 dvd player and Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo surround package. any ideas?

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    What is your budget? Your speakers and DVD player are very good, and there are quite a few options.

Do you have to have a silver amp or can you go for black too? Let us know these little details and we should be able to advise you better :)

3. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    budget havent really thought about it. Ideally £500 max. i would prefer black as dvd player, xbox and speakers are!! I could stretch to that if an av receiver will do it all. if not a stereo amp could be employed i guess for a couple of hundred?

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If the DVD has denon link then a denon reciever may be best but i'm not sure which models have it (3805?), Otherwsie why not look at the denon 2805 and the yammy 1500, although i'm not sure if you can get that in black here.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    How about the Yamaha RXV-750 (note this is the European model not the UK version which doesn't contain a tuner). However they do have them in black, click here

I have the UK model and it provides very respectable stereo performance.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    If it's black you want, and a musical amp, the Marantz SR7400 in black at Peter Tyson is only £399 :eek: absolute bargain, its rrp is £700, and would match with the rest of your system very well.

The Denon 2200 doesn't have denon-link as far as I know, so that probably won't make any difference. http://www.petertyson.co.uk/marantzsr7400.shtml

:) Other options would include the Yammy 750, but it is in a class below the SR7400, and the amps in the SR7400 would drive your Evo's much better in my opinion.

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yea i agress and probably the only thing missing from the 7400 is the automatic setup, but with a sound meter and a bt effort you can do better yourself.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Would definitley agree with that, great amp for the money that Peter Tyson are selling it at.

9. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok thanks i've checked it out and looks very good spec. I'll look at marantz site in a bit too. Kazman, i guess then that you are happy with your and that fulfills the stereo duty good enough?

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    How near Bath are you mate? I've got a Marantz SR7400 and it sounds great, absolute bargain and is what I'd go for.

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Very happy with its stereo performance, put it this way, I was going to buy an additional Marantz PM7200 stereo amp, then heard one, and it wasn't good enough against the SR7400 to justify the purchase :eek:

Excellent performance, Home Cinema Choice even rated it as one of the best AV amps for stereo music (and multi channel music) at its price point, and that was at its rrp of £700! :)

12. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Evil, actually in Trowbridge!! 'Nr Bath' somehow seems to look a bit better!!
    Kazman - ok thats great nearly convinced! Will finish looking at the marantz site and look at specs and measure up a bit - big things aint they!!

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yup, very deep the SR7400, I had to move it to the top shelf of my rack as it wouldn't fit on the other ones due to there being big poles at the back of the rack.

Sounds great though :D

14. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah it may be a bit big. at 105w per channel could be abit too powerful for a 2bed mid terrace too!

15. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You don't have to turn it all the way up! :p

16. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I don't think it could be beaten for £400 in any way. The remote's worth £75 on it's own (although I'm not sure I'd pay that much for it ;) ).

I'm also near Bath but don't think my housemates would appreciate me inviting strange people over to listen to my amp IYKWIM. :)

17. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    evil, no worries thanks anyway. I've got a 4 and 2 year old as well so that wouldnt be good for the hangovers!!

18. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just been looking around and having one eye on the future purchase of Lcd/Plasma - thinking if i am spending money now, is it better to get an amp/receiver with video up/down conversion. Is this feature worth it/does it work?! Auto setup would ne nice though i suppose 'a nice to thing to have'. Having said that, i still like overall stereo/multichannel performance to be underlying factor in choice. So, does this change things?

19. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The 7400 has video upconversion from S-Video and composite. Also downconversion from S-Video to composite if that's your thing.

The only auto-setup really worth having is on the Denon models as this does much more than just setting the speaker distances and channel volumes. :)

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The high-end Pioneer models (VX5Ai/VX10Ai) are also meant to be very good. Both allow connections via RS232 and check your room reverb on the PC.

21. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I must have missed that in the specs, - i'll hvae another look. How hot does yours run? The only other thing i cant help but worry about is lip sync facility. That really does do my head in when you watch stuff!

22. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES MY WORRY TOO HAS THE MARANTZ THE LIP SYNC THINGY? IF NOT WHAT DOES IN THAT CLASS (ABNETT) HEARD THE PIONEER VSX !)!$ IS THE BEST FOR MUSIC IN THIS CLASS LOOKS LIKE IT HAS BETTER SPEC TOO ANY THOUGHTS .

23. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I MEAN THE PIONEER VSX 1014 sorry .

24. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having been interested by the 7400 by Peter Tyson, I looked at the web site. When you download the PDF for the tech spec you get teh 5400, not the 7400. This raises questions... In the 5400 PDF there's no mention of audio delay or lip sync correction... Maybe eviljohn2 can help us on that (I'm in Bath, too - small world).

25. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I guessed as much from the Sulis username ;)

The 7400 does have video conversion as I described. It doesn't have lip-synch correction (same as audio delay), nor does it have auto-setup but by most reports the Marantz auto-setup is a bit lame anyway. :)

26. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  27. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    1014 is a great movie amp (better than the SR7400 for action movies and slam), but I didn't like it's stereo and multichannel music performance, bit bright for my ears, and its timing just wasn't as good as the SR7400. Managed to hear one today on Tottenham Court Road, hooked up to some B&W 603's, blasting out Prodigys new album. Came home and played my copy of the same CD, and it sounds so much nicer through the SR7400 Quad 21L combo, with some nice slam from the SVS :D Must admit though, no sub was hooked up to the 1014.

We all have different tastes though, so you may like it :).

My preference for stereo is firmly in the warmer side of neutral ball park :). All depends on the type of sound one prefers.

There is no auto setup on the SR7400, but once it has been set up, you will rarely ever need to change it unless you move rooms or setting.

28. kitlowski

kitlowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed you have quad 21L fronts - I am looking for a good suround system which will double up as a good music system. I tested the quads yesterday with arcam avr 250 and DV 78 - It was amazing. But could I get away with a denon avr 2805 and a dvd 2901
    a dealer is pushing me to fo for the former - any ideas

29. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Y0u say the pioneer is better for movies , is that chalk and cheese? and poor in sterio /music mode is ther alot of difference? what i wonder is that funny german who tested the pioneer said it was the best by a mile and the marantz came only 4 th in the test ! look ive got to make my mind up tomorrow do i return the pioneer vsx1014 £500 ive on apro or i can buy from Superfi the marantz now for £349(. in black) if you say marantz will i lose the pioneers advanced features ? what do you or any other pioneer /marantz owners feel is the best choice? thanks (abnett.)

30. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Arcam sound would suit the Quads better than the Denon sound imho (although I haven't heard the 2805, I have heard the 3805 though, and didn't think it was brilliant with music, but great with movies). BUT, I haven't heard the Denons with the Quads so couldn't be sure. My gut feeling would say the Arcam would be a better buy, and you have already heard that combo and liked it. Try to get the dealer to demo the Quads with the Denon, but I think the quality of the Arcam for music may outshine the 2805, whether the price differential is worth the difference is really up to you :).

I never said the Pioneer was poor with music, I said I found it a bit bright for my tastes. Pioneers strong point has never been with stereo music, but the new 1014 and 2014 are a huge improvement on previous models, but just not my taste.

If you like the Pioneer sound then keep the 1014, it isn't a bad amp at all, in fact, it is one of the best out there, and if I had a different setup for music, I may have gone for a different setup on the movie front (either Pioneer or Yamaha).

Saying that though, music plays a massively important part in movies, delicate scenes are just as important in movies as loud explosions, dialogue needs to be clear and precise too, the SR7400 excels in these areas.

One piece of advice I always give is not to believe every review to the letter, use them more as a guide, as all reviews are an opinion. I tend to use reviews to draw up a shortlist, and then go to audition that shortlist. Always pick what sounds good to you, not what you see written by others.

If you want to hear the SR7400 in action abnett, you are more than welcome to come round and have a listen, depends on where you are I guess though :).