• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV Recievers with Pre-Outs

neilfann

Standard Member
Hi All,

I've got a nice music stereo (Roksan Kandy) with big speakers (Dali Concepts).

I also want a 7.1 surround system but I don't want a second set of front speakers.

The only way I know to achieve this is to use an AV reciever/amplifier with unamplified pre-outs and feed them into the Kandy amplifier. The other speakers would be powered by the AV reciever. Questions:

1. Is there any other way to achieve the desired results?
  2. What low-end av recievers have unamplified pre-outs?
I don't want to spend excess money on the surround speaker set up.

Any tips?

C.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If an AV amp/receiver posses pre outs then they will be line level only regardless of the cost of the receiver. A pre out is a pre out. ;)

I can't think of another way to achieve what you desire and it is probably the best way of achieving it.

What is your budget for an AV amp/receiver?

neilfann

Standard Member
There's one candidate in a local hi-fi shop for £200 or £250 (can't remember) which is a discount they say. I'm wondering if there's anything cheaper or comparable? If there's no others in the price bracket then that's the one to go for then.

dante01

Distinguished Member
There's one candidate in a local hi-fi shop for £200 or £250 (can't remember) which is a discount they say. I'm wondering if there's anything cheaper or comparable? If there's no others in the price bracket then that's the one to go for then.

I'd not go below £250. I know you only want it for the sirrround speakers, but you still need something that will at least go some way toward doing your front stereo setup some kind of justice.

Avoid the Cambridge Audio 540R V2. This has a weird arrangement for using the pre outs, meaning you have to use all of them or none. See here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1001985-cambridge-audio-540r-v2-pre-outs.html

neilfann

Standard Member
So if I'm reading that correctly, V2 bad, V3 good? That's cool, cheers. That means I know of 2 amps that would meet my needs so I feel I have something to compare prices against. If anyone knows of any others pls feel free to chip in....

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you're will to stretch your budget to £300 then there's the Yamaha DSP-AX861SE:

Yamaha DSP-AX861SE Yamaha DSP-AX861 Digital Home Theatre Amplifier (Ex Demo)

It has the pre outs you require along with being a very competent AV amp. It is now discontinued, but you'd not get a good a receiver for the same money if you were to buy a more recent model. It's basically the same as the award winning Yamaha DSP-AX863SE, but without the onboard HD audio decoding abilities.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/files/reviews/HCC/HCC_149_068.pdf

Yamaha Music UK Ltd

Last edited:

duffy78

yamaha dsp-ax761.

i picked one up second hand from these forums for £150.

it also accepts lpcm over its hdmi connection, means

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom